Flaming Geyser , what flys to use for steelies ?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by fly15, Aug 4, 2001.

1. fly15

fly15 New Member

I am going to go up to flaming geyser on the green river
    in hopes of catching a steelie or at least a couple steelhead smolts and i am wondering what flys to use and
    if i can wade the river. I am also going up to the olympic
    peninsula and i am wondering if dries would work on the
    smaller creeks and rivers for steelhead. THANKS.

2. Fixation

Fixation New Member

I was just there on Thurs. and was able to wade across the river in several spots with just hip waders...be careful though as it is very slippery in some spots.. hope you have felts. As for the steels, I did not catch any, but did manage to catch a bunch of rainbows on adams and caddis (most were pretty small though)Have fun...

3. Steelworker

Steelworker New Member

Spanaway, Washington, United States of America.
    Hey there,
    I've been fishing the Green near Flaming Geyser every weekend since it opened June.
    The river is low(and getting lower) and is easily wadeable though quite slick in places. Full chest waders will get you away from the crowds and into often ignored and\or undiscovered holes. Please make sure you have polarized sunglasses(They don't have to be expensive), a tight fitting wading belt, and a sturdy wading staff; whether it be store bought or nature made. I assume you know to have felt soles on your boots/shoes. It takes less than three inches of water to drown.
    My personal preference for flies are small Purple Perils for twilight (A.M.) hours and brown,black,and cream colored bead-head stonefly nymphs 'till dusk.
    My friend was there today(somewhere..I never did see him) and he was fishing with more trout-like gear which I assume was elkhair caddis patterns and hares ear nymphs swung on a long arc(not dead drifted).
    As far as learning to fish Steelhead (which I am still doing) the basic rule of thumb is to read,read,and fish.(repeat as necessary) Trey Combs' "Steelhead Flyfishing" is the anadromous Rainbow hunters bible. Another really good book is Deke Meyers' "Advanced Flyfishing for Steelhead". Find away to own these books. You will refer to them constantly.
    Rent,buy,or borrow Lani Wallers' "Flyfishing for Pacific Steelhead". There are three videos in the series and they are absolutely invaluable. He "shows" you the things that you're reading about. If your not humming the background music and lip-syncing along with Lani you've not watched them near enough.
    Being a Tacoman puts you in line with the Morning Hatch Fly Shoppe. Mike Martin and Big Dave are good guys to take your questions to. I've been bugging them for nearly two years now and enjoy visiting with them once or twice a week.Make sure to purchase a fly or two when ya can...afterall it is a "Fly Shop".
    Finally, on the second thursday in September(13th) the Puget Sound Flyfishers club will be holding a general membership meeting. It costs $35 for the year(It's free to attend the first couple of times.Which will pay for itsself almost instantly. It has a free library(A good place to find those Lani Waller videos) as well as free classes ranging from fly-tying&casting to rod building. There are alot of people there (usually around 20 to 30) with a wide variety of interests and skills, though few are Steelheaders there are some of us there.
    I found Steelheading very itimidating to learn. The guys who really know what they're doing have a tendency to want you to pay them to take ya fishing and show you the ropes.(Guides and such) Trial and error in combination with plenty of research will eventually bring a fish to your fly,(or visa versa).
    Be obsessive. Be relentless.
    Hope this helps.
    Tight Lines,
    Larry

4. Steelie L

Steelie L Member

Fixation,

Those weren't "rainbows" you were catching--they were steelhead smolts. Please be extra careful with them.

Cheers,
    Steelie L

5. skeith5

skeith5 New Member

Home Page:
    I was using a royal coachman a few weeks ago and caught quite a few smolts (all released unharmed), fiesty little guys. I saw a few cruisers but they seemed to be moving pretty deep through the holes.