Flash Poll of the Week%21%21%21%21

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by XstreamAngler, Oct 28, 2002.

1. XstreamAngler

XstreamAngler ...has several mistresses.

Media:
    Home Page:
    Okay fellow anglers, My flash poll question of the week, If you care, keep your responses short, simple and non-invasive: Does it matter what another angler uses for a rod/reel combo? I ask for this reason, At the beginning of this year, I wanted to track how many people asked me what kind of rod I had, what kind of reel and how many would look my outfit over almost seeing of theirs was better (or so my imagination thought). So, looking at my log over the year so far, I was asked 42 times.

Xstream
    "If it ain't wet, it ain't Xstream" :HMMM

2. Cutthroat_Fight

Cutthroat_Fight New Member

It is nice to see what other guys are using..especially for those of us who are still learning what equipment is outthere, to avoid making costly mistakes.

I bought a new reel on the advice youse guys here :)

Redington Al 9/10

3. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:
    Doesn't matter....I think it's a compliment to your skill level- people probably think that having the right equipment will help them get to the level you're at.

4. Luv2flyfish

Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

Dont think it matters. I have everything from Cabelas 3 Forks to Sage RPLXi and everything in between. Fish what works - who cares what the other guy thinks!

Tight Lines. J

5. Luv2Spey

Luv2Spey Member

I'm very interested in what equipment other fly fishers use mainly for two reasons:

First, from those that are excellent at some facet of fly fishing (e.g., fly tying, casting, etc.,), the equipment they use says something about the equipment.

Second, I've learned a lot about comfort and convenience just from seeing how others are outfitted. For example, by checking out the equipment of other fly fishers, I've come to appreciate the use of lanyards instead of fishing vests, the presence of belt loops in waders, efficient ways to lash rods to a pontoon boat, and so forth.

Cheers,

Michael

6. Greg Moore

Greg Moore New Member

Personally I never have asked anyone what they used and I've never looked at anyone elses equipment (rod or reel, waders, vest, etc.) Doesn't matter to me what they use or why. I like what I like and use it.

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
    line between religion and fly
    fishing" Norman Maclean

7. Greg

Greg Member

My $0.02:

If someone has to ask about the equipment someone else uses, usually they don't have a clue about the sport. In most cases they are looking for that magical "fix" that will transend them from bumbling amateur to some higher level of proficiency or expertise or the false reassurance that because their gear is better then they are the superior flyfisher. Sorry to say the gear alone wont make it happen.

I'm always humored by the question "which is better, the Super-rod RX26 or the Ultra-Flyfisher 924X." In the words of Ed Zaun (stripersurf.com) "Superior Equipment cannot compensate for Inferior Skills". Knowledge and expertise far outweighs the latest and greatest, the newest and perceived best of equipment to hit the market. Few of us can extract that "nth degree" of performance from that gear which always comes at a premium.

The successful flyfisher to be envied is the one who understands the prey and practices the techniques that encourage the strike, not the one who has the most expensive or most popular gear. Flyfishing is one sport you can't buy your way into proficiency.

Greg

8. flyfishnm

flyfishnm Member

Media:
    Well said Greg, it doesn't matter how much the equipment costs.

~Ryan

9. ChrisW

ChrisW AKA Beadhead

Some people are into gear (gear heads), thats ok with me. Personally I love gear, I want to own lots of it, but if I buy a $700 5 weight outfit I might not be able to afford that $500 8-weight outfit with with 3 spools and 3 different sinking tips to go along with it. Some day I might need an 8 weight to go after some winter steelies. What about a pontoon boat? How many more fish will I catch shorebound with an expensive 5 weight than covering new water and having a lot of fun in a pontoon boat? You get the idea. I love gear, but too much $$ on one thing lessens the quantity that one can own! :THUMBSUP

BTW Actually I own 3 rods -all under $130, 4 reels, 7 spools, 8 lines, a vise and NO pontoon boat! -A rubber raft suffices for lakes.

BH

10. Bright Rivers

Bright Rivers Member

Media:
    Really? I think, more often than not, that its because they're in love with the sport and all the gear that goes with it (see Beadhead's post). My Dad is into cars. If he sees a '68 442, he's gotta go over and ask the owner all about the engine and whether the upholstery is original or restored. He just loves cars. Some guys just love gear.

I'm sure that sometimes its like you say -- guys looking for anything that will fix the problem (no fish). But fly fishing tends to consume its adherants. We just love to talk about our sport and compare stories, gear, fish, photos, etc. That's why I'm up too late writing this rampling post. Sorry.

db

"If I don't catch them today, I'll catch them another day." Art Flick

11. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    No. It matters what I use.

12. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    42 huh? You fish to much. Sure I will look over someone else's outfit. If I see something I don't recognize, I'll ask.

KLS

13. XstreamAngler

XstreamAngler ...has several mistresses.

Media:
    Home Page:
    I do fish too much! As all of my drinking buddies say "Our drinking buddy has a fishing problem". 9-10 times I document EVERYTHING from a day on the water....Weather, water, temp, how many rises, bugs, how many heads I saw, how many beers I had, how many were taken, what the other heads had to say, did I "Show off" with a few distance shots, what my tongue tasted like at the end of the day, how many cigs did I smoke, did I fall, mostly stoopid stuff, but it is fun for me! On the river I believe in one thing when upon other anglers...."Never pass a good opportunity to keep your mouth shut"!
    :AA

14. fishon3

fishon3 Chad Morgan

Greg,

I used to think that the rod I used was just fine.....until a friend let me fish awhile with his, (Sage) then I realized that there is a difference. However, the difference is in "the eye (or in this case the hand) of the beholder" and what casts good for one angler may not for another.

A good casting rod isn't going to make you catch more fish, but it might make your day of fishing more enjoyable.....more likely it will make the next day more enjoyable if you don't have a worn out arm!

Good Fishin'

15. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    I like to check things out if it's something that catches my eye or I haven't seen before. A couple years ago I was fishing my favorite stream in BC for westslope cutts (no, not the Elk) and met a guy fishing a nice split-cane rod. Naturally, I commented on the rod and got the whole story behind it. This guy was the president of the local flyfishing club and the rod was built by a club member who, coincidentally, I had bumped into earlier that day without knowing he was even a flyfisher, let alone a cane rod builder. It just goes to show that if I hadn't noticed that rod, I wouldn't have got all that good information on the local fly club and its members.

As far as knowing which model of Sage/Scott/Loomis/etc. rod someone's fishing, I could care less. If it's something that's got style or character, I'm all over it though.

16. troutman101

troutman101 Member

Media:
    I always thought a reel had little purpouse for trout fishing. In fact, I have never owned a reel that cost more than $50 for trout. Steelhead on the other hand, spend what you can 'cause every little bit helps. Cork seems to be the best in combination with a sealed bearing cartridge. I haven't bought anything since the Lamson. It ain't the best reel but it has withstood the test of time.