Flash poll of the week III

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by XstreamAngler, Nov 20, 2002.

1. XstreamAngler ...has several mistresses.

Seattle, wa, King.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Well, here I go again! So, the question I put in front of ya'll is as follows: When fishing your favorite water, and you are ON, an angler comes to you to ask what and how you are fishing as they are NOT on, do you for the most part cough up the goods or hold back? WHOA!!! 1:30, Time for a drink!!! :DUNNO :DEVIL And before ANYBODY gets on me, my standard answer to this question.....Kaufman's stone, #2 in black! No matter where and how! Arrogance? Nope! I had to work to get "on", why shouldnt you!
  2. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,538 / 0
    Standard answer to anyone who asks "How's the fishing?" "Just got here." :DEVIL
  3. peter the nymph New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    XSA, you know from experience what my standard answer is.

But really, it depends on the angler. If somebody walks straight up to me on the river and sees me in all my glory, line tight, fish in hand and grinnin', and has the balls to say, "Whatcha usin'?" instead of "Nice fish." or "Good work." or "You're sexy." or some other polite coversation starter, he's getting the Kaufman's stone answer.

On the other hand, if an angler walks up and starts a conversation, is respectful, chats about this or that and doesn't flat out ask me to my face to show him my panties, I'll usually offer up the secret of my current success voluntarily.

I like sharing info with anglers. I learn a lot that way. It makes it more fun, and it's great to see someone have success from my advice. I'm only a jackass, when I'm talking to a jackass. "Treat other anglers as you would want to be treated."

-ptn
  4. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    Now whats up with this! I thought fly fisherman were A breed of there own. Honest and polite and all that. I would be more then willing to show them the nimp or even give then one.
  5. Jim Jenkins New Member

Bothell, Wa.
    I usually share info, and I agree with above, as long as the guy/gal is not being a jerk. And I have given and received flies this way. I believe this is the camaraderie we all share!
    Jim J.
  6. Bright Rivers Member

Bellevue, WA, USA.
    It seems like I'm only "on" when I'm by myself, miles away from the closest potential witness. During those rare times I always wish there was someone watching who might ask me for advice, and if they did I would be more than happy to share the whole truth. Unfortunately, I'm usually the guy asking the questions. And now I know why that dang Kauffman's Stone doesn't seem to work as well for me as it does for everybody else.

db

"If I don't catch them today, I'll catch them another day." Art Flick
  7. YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Las Vegas
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    SIZE 18 GREEN CHIRONOMID..... THAT AND SHOW THEM THE BOX OF FLIES MY KIDS HAVE TIED AND TELL THEM I'M USING THEM... I'VE BEEN BIRD DOGGED ON THE YAKIMA SO MANY TIMES, I WILL NOT HELP OUT THERE UNLESS THEY REALLY LOOK LOST, SINCERE, OR REALLY TRYING AND JUST NOT GETTING IT. AND YOU CAN'T TELL ME YOU DON'T SEE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THEM AND THE YUPPIE SCUM THAT BIRD DOG YOU AND WANT YOUR FISH.... I REFUSE TO HELP THOSE WHO BULLDOG INTO THE WATER, STIR UP THE WATER, GET IN YOUR BACK POCKET, WANT TO BE MY NEW BEST FREIND, AND EXPECT ME TO TALK.... MAYBE ONE DAY I'LL TELL EVERYONE ABOUT THE FIGHT I GOT IN REGARDING THIS SAME THING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RIVER... DONT LET ANYONE FOOL YOU, ITS INDEED TOUGH GRABBING ONTO A GUY FLOATING AWAY FROM YOU AS YOU JUST LET HIM KNOW THAT WHAT HE JUST CALLED YOU WASNT APPRECIATED.... NOT ON MY RIVER.. GREG
  8. mr trout Trevor Hutton

Yakima, WA, USA.
    A fight in the middle of a river? thats pretty intense. I guess the "kick 'em when they're down" tactic wouldn't work all that well if they are already floating 20 yards downstream :TONGUE ....... - Trevor

Money can't buy a perfect presentation.
  9. Randy Knapp Active Member

Warm Springs, Virginia, USA.
    If you find me and are halfway nice I will tell you all. You have to watch me landing fish though; I usually fish where others aren't. Even if it is crowded,say at Rocky Ford, I'll usually tell you exactly what fly and how to fish it. I believe that if you give, you always receive, and usually more than you gave. The one thing I won't do is reveal some secret place that took effort to find unless of course it is returning a favor.

Randy
  10. Kaari White Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Most people don't have the TIME that some lucky people I know do "to work to get on!" As long as the helpless fly fisherman in question is friendly and respects the rules of the water.... I tell them what I'm using. I'll even offer up a fly or two out of my own box if I happen to have a few extra! Doing something small like can make someone's day a whole lot better... And with my luck, a half hour later I'll be asking them what they're using! :TONGUE
  11. ray helaers New Member

I can't remeber ever giving anyone a bum steer, for any reason. If they haven't actually witnessed anything, say just give me a shouted "how you doin?" from the bank while I float by, I'll usually prevaricate a bit: if I'm getting really spanked I'll offer something like, "oh all right I guess," to spare my own ego; and if I'm slaying them, I'll offer an equally ambiguos, "we've touched a few," or something like that, trying hard to use an inflection that will reflect my attempt at modesty.

But if I happen to have a hot hand and I'm showing everybody up, what's not to be generous about? If I've got a bunch of rising fish in front of me, I may very pointedly ask somebody not to come any closer for the moment, but I've got no problem sharing tactics or flies, or even the spot if I've managed to pull out a few and the other chap is drooling over there broken hearted. When did it become "my water?"

Somebody's right: it all comes back. People crowd me, cut me off, fish my water, pull dirty boat-tricks on me all the time. I've come to expect it; I fish crowded water. Since I don't like it, that seems even more reason not to do it to them. I try to be generous in hopes it will come back, and when it does, I'm happy.

What's so funny about the Golden Rule? And it doesn't say do unto others as they DO unto you. It says treat people like you hope to be treated, and lead by example. Jeez it's only fishing.
  12. scottr Active Member

Chasing trout and birds
    Ratings: +86 / 0
    If the person is rude, loud, crowding me or has pissed me of at the slightest my answer is " fishing has been slow"

If the person is nice about it I'll tell them the fly ie "a Pheasant tail" nymph.

If I know them or they are really nice I'll tell them the exact fly ie "CDC flashback pheasant tail in olive size 14". I may even give them one or two if I can spare it.
  13. YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Las Vegas
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN PROUD... YAKIMA RIVER, MILE MARKER 18, RIGHT OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RIVER FACING THE HILLS. MY FISHING PARTNER AND I WERE INTO THEM PRETTY GOOD. SPOTTING FISH AND THROWING AT THE RISES, NOT JUST SHOTGUNNING IT. I NOTICED THAT A CAR PULLED UP RIGHT BEHIND MY TRUCK AND I HEARD CAR DOORS SHUT. I LOOKED OVER MY SHOULDER AND SAW A COUPLE GUYS STANDING UP ON THE ROAD WATCHING US. AFTER ABOUT FIFTEEN MINUTES OR SO THEY MOVED DOWN THE BANK AND INTO THE RIVER. I THOUGHT THEY WERE GOING SOMEWHERE BUT NOT WHERE THEY ENDED UP, INSIDE MY WADERS WITH ME. OVER MY RIGHT SHOULDER I SEE FLY LINE, CORTLAND I BELEIVE, GO SHOOTING PAST ME AND THE FLY START ITS DRIFT. NOT TOO LONG AFTER THAT, THE LINE IS RESTING ON MY UP RIVER LEG AND THE FLY IS BEING PULLED TOWARDS ME, AND I'M THINKING WHAT IN THE HELL IS THIS GUY DOING ??? I GRAB THE LINE AND TURN AROUND AND ASK HIM POLITELY THAT I WOULD PREFER THAT HE BACK UP AS I DONT WANT TO GET HIM WITH MY BACK CAST. THERE IS PLENTY OF RIVER AND FISH ARE EVERWHERE IF YOU LOOK. I THROW THE LINE OVER MY HEAD AND IT CONTINUES TO DRIFT DOWN THE RIVER. NO MORE THAN A FEW SECONDS LATER THE SAME THING HAPPENS AGAIN !!! THIS TIME I GRABBED ONTO THE LINE AND GAVE IT A YANK. I STOPPED FISHING AND A LITTLE MORE ABRUPTLY ASKED HIM IF HE WOULDNT MIND TO STOP FISHING UP MY, WELL YOU KNOW, AND TOLD HIM TO FIND HIS OWN FISH. I LOOKED AT MY BUDDY AND THAT GUYS PARTNER WAS NOT DOING QUITE AS BAD AS A JOB TO HIM, BUT WE BOTH GAVE EACHOTHER LOOKS LIKE WE WONT THIS WONT GO ON MUCH LONGER. OKAY, HONEST NOW, HE DID STOP CASTING OVER ME FOR ABOUT A FEW MORE CASTS, BUT NIPPING AT MY BACKSIDE AS HIS DRIFT WENT BY, I COULD HAVE GRABBED HIS FLY, AND A CRAPPY FLY AT THAT. I GUESS HE EITHER THOUGHT I WAS KIDDING ABOUT ME NOT WANTING TO BE MENDING HIS FLY LINE BECAUSE LOW AND BEHOLD, ZOOM... HERE COMES ANOTHER ONE RIGHT PAST ME ... THIS TIME GRABBED THE LINE AND DIDNT LET GO. BY THE TIME THE LINE WAS TO ME, I ALREADY HAD REELED IN AND MY ROD WAS TUCKED IN MY WADERS. FLY REELED IN RIGHT UP TO THE TIP TOP.I FIGURED IT WAS TIME TO GO HAVE A LITTLE BETTER TALK WITH THIS YAHOO SO AS I WALKED TO HIM WITH HIS LINE IN MY HAND I WAS NOT AS POLITE AS BEFORE ASKING WHY HE FELT IT SO IMPORTANT TO FISH UP MY, YOU KNOW, AND TO FIND SOMEWHERE IN THIS CANYON HE COULD CALL HIS OWN. I STOPPED ABOUT ARM LENGHT AWAY FROM HIM, AND SAID TO PLEASE, FIND SOMEWHERE ELSE AS THERE IS NO REASON TO DO WHAT HE IS DOING. I KNOW HE SPOTTED US CATCHING FISH FROM THE ROAD AND ALL HE WANTED TO DO WAS USE US TO GET INTO SOME FISH. AT THAT POINT IN TIME, HE MENTIONED SOMETHING ABOUT ME BEING A CHILD WITHOUT A FATHER, AND SOME OFFSPRING FROM A FEMALE DOG, THEN GAVE ME A LITTLE LOVE TAP WITH HIS FLY ROD RIGHT ON THE SIDE OF MY FACE, OKAY A BITCH SLAP. OKAY, MAYBE IT WAS THE MOOD I WAS IN, THE CRAPPY LUNCH I JUST ATE, I WAS RUNNING OUT OF COPENHAGEN, I HAVE STOPPED SINCE, OR THAT AT ANY TIME THIS HATCH WAS GOING TO RUN OUT AND THE FISH WOULD BE GONE... SO I LOOKED AT MY FREIND WHILE THIS YOUNG SARCASTIC (PARDON THE EXPRESSION) JACKASS WHO ONLY KNEW HOW TO USE THE SUNGLASSES HE HAD ON, WAS CONTINUING CALLING MY MOTHER ALL KINDS OF NAMES AND IF WOULD I LET GO OF HIS FORNICATING FLY LINE, TO GET HIS APPROVAL FOR MY NEXT PENDING MOVE. HE NODDED, I NODDED BACK, AND PROMPTLY MADE SURE HE AND HIS NOSE KNEW I WAS NOT PLEASED. WELL IN MY FRUSTRATION OF THIS FOUL MOUTHED NEW FRIEND OF MIND, I GUESS I HIT HIM A LITTLE HARDER THAN I THOUGHT. IN NO TIME, HE WAS DOWN BLOWING BUBBLES IN THE RIVER AND STARTED TO FLOAT AWAY!!! SO THE HERO SIDE OF ME DECIDED TO GRAB HIM BY THE SCRUFF OF THE NECK AND DRAG HIM TO SHORE. HE CAME TO PRETTY FAST AS I'M SURE THE WATER ON HIS NEWLY REMODLED NOSE WOKE HIM UP. ALL THE WAY WALKING HIM TO THE ROAD SIDE OF THE RIVER, POLITELY I EXPLAINED TO HIM THAT IF HE REALLY WANTED TO FISH OR LEARN, THIS WAS TRULY NOT THE WAY TO INFLUENCE PEOPLE AND MAKE FISHING FREINDS. SO BY NOW HIS BUDDY, WHO BECAME INSTANTLY DOCILE, WAS NEAR US AND HE APPOLOGISED FOR MY NEW FRIENDS ACTIONS AND SAID THAT HIS SMART MOUTH HAD GOTTEN HIM IN TROUBLE BEFORE AND THIS IS JUST ANOTHER ONE TO ADD TO HIS LIST. AS I TURNED AROUND TO HEAD BACK OUT FISHING, I TOLD THEM THAT I WAS SORRY FOR THAT AND MAYBE NEXT TIME IF THEY ASK, OR DONT INTRUDE YOU WILL GET A LOT MORE OUT OF PEOPLE THAN PUSHING YOUR WAY IN. ONE LAST GLANCE TO MAKE SURE MY FRIEND WAS OKAY, AND HIS BUDDY TELLING WHAT A DUMB SHI* HE WAS AND DESERVED THAT, I LOOK BACK AT MY PARTNER STILL HOOKING FISH AND HAVING A GREAT TIME. THEN THE WORLD BECAME A LOT BETTER OF A PLACE... I'LL HELP YOU, GIVE YOU FLIES, TEACH YOU HOW, AND TALK ALL YOU WANT. BUT DO NOT USE MY MOM IN A SENTANCE, TELL ME I DIDNT HAVE A DAD, WACK ME WITH YOUR FLY ROD, OR DO A PROCTOLOGY EXAM ON MY WITH YOUR CASTS.... NOT ON MY RIVER.... OH, AND TO THAT FRIEND I MADE THAT DAY. IF YOU ARE ON THIS SITE AND READ ABOUT THIS, I'M SORRY ABOUT HITTING YOU THAT HARD. BUT YOU PISSED ME OFF.... GREG
  14. o mykiss Active Member

Ratings: +138 / 0
    I start with the proposition that if the successful angler is nice enough to tell him/her what was working, good etiquette would require the angler doing the asking to then stay out of the way of the angler having success . (He/she should do that anyway, but especially if the successful angler offers up good advice.) In that light, if I were the successful angler being asked "what's working for you", I would give it up, unless I felt the result would be to have someone standing or floating in productive water I was fishing. If I felt he/she could be trusted to find his/her own piece of water to try whatever fly was working for me, I would be most happy to give them the goods.
  15. Bob Triggs STOP KILLING WILD STEELHEAD!!!!

Ratings: +531 / 0
    I have had guys show me thier fly box, share their favorite leaders, give me flys, share water with me, show me fish and water I hadnt seen before, and more, and all of that has led to friendships and experiences I would have missed out on if it werent for their decision to be generous.They had to work at it too, and they decided that sharing would be more worthwhile. So since all that I have tried to do some of the same.

And there have been times when I just wanted to be alone and some guy walks right up the river, the middle of the river, and asks me;
    "Hey, you seem to be doin pretty good...whudyagetemon"?
    My reply?
    "Well I only use the best kind of flys and leaders, only the very best kind".

"Well what kind is it"? He asks...

So I look at my watch and I say: "About three O'Clock!".
    And then I say, "I gotta go"
    And I wade right down the middle of the creek to my car.
    Don't do this in a spawning water please.
  16. T Dub New Member

Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
    Wow, some of these answers are surprising!

I've only been fly fishing for 2 years or so. It never occurred to me that someone might not offer up the CORRECT information of what fly they were using. I've never asked anyone on the water what's working...yet, and I wouldn't dream of walking up to someone who's doing well in a particular run, for fear of them thinking I'm cutting in on their action. Or messing up their action.

I've been asked before, and given the exact information.

I would hope that anyone who wouldn't give the correct answer would never get a correct answer even when asking a fly shop for info. Did you get where you are today by never asking anyone for anything? Which is the rude person on the river? Of course extreme situations of rudeness like YAKIMA's experience is different.

How's anyone supposed to learn anything? All those people who wrote the books you must enjoy. What if they kept their information to themselves? You could open a fly fishing magazine and every page would say, “Page 1: Figure it out yourself, Page 2: Figure it out yourself, etc. All information comes from somewhere.

I had several questions asked to me today at work. Should I have just said, “Sorry, figure it out yourself. I didn't get where I am today by helping others.”?

Please understand that I don't KNOW I'm right. I just hope I am.
    It's just my opinion, and I mean everything I say in the most respectful way.

T Dub
  17. Sean Beauchamp Teepee Creatchin'

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +369 / 1
    being politically correct sucks

i love sharing info. i am a beliver in the "what comes around goes around"crap. we are all fishermen just trying to hook a few, why steer someone in the wrong direction. if i steered someone in the wrong direction they would probably immediately hook a monster. its called karma.

~sean~
  18. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA.
    I will tell anyone everything I know about the fishing and how it is going for me, and for the others I have heard from. Even the nitwits. But I will usually try to ignore jerks first. If they go away, that's fine.

Why should I lie? Nitwits, jerks and twits will carry their attitudes with them where ever they are, and that should get them several fish short of a good day.

As to turkeys that must have my hole? It's their's. I'm out to have a good day on the water, not a fight. There's more water than the hole I am on.

Rob
    ---------
    Genetic pollution damages wild
    stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!
  19. Dan Member

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    My fishing partner is one of the nicest, most helpful people I've ever met. Not having a good day on the water, talk to Dave. He'll share his spot, give you a fly, help you with your cast, whatever. He gets along with just about everyone. I'm a little more reserved. A little more protective of the piece of water we're fishing. But his approach is starting to wear off. We almost always get into the hole we want to fish eventually, even if there is already someone there. We wait. We don't crowd. We get our chance. We catch fish. We move along. We have a good time. (We're far more competitive than you might imagine). There's an old saying: "You got to get along to go along". I agree with that. Give a little and it will come back to you. Don't ask me why it works, it just does.
  20. cmtundra New Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    I've never purposely deceived anyone asking what I'm using/doing. Sometimes however, I feel less sociable than other times...& may give a brief, limited answer hoping they'll politely leave me alone. It's nothing to do with trying to keep secrets or anything, it's just sometimes I don't feel much like talking.
    Most of the time though, I'll tell ya more than ya wanted to hear probly. I'm usually elated when someone asks me what I'm using, cause it makes me feel so big-headed & all.
    A couple weeks ago on the Satsop, a spinfisher guy asked me what I was using -seems the coveted chartreuse wasn't paying off for chums that day-. Anyhow, I told him "Purple Egg Sucking Leach". He didn't know what one was (I didn't know there was a breathing soul that hadn't heard of an ESL), so I said "here, have this one". I proceeded to snip it off and gave it to him..it was my last one. I told him it'd give me a chance to try a couple other patterns I brainstormed & showed him how he could fish my fly on his spinning rod (I used to do that a lot in AK before I saw the light). Anyway...the dude went on to catch 4 or 5 chums in just a few minutes on my ESL right beside me. That felt at least as good as catching them myself. My arms needed a rest anyway. To say the least, the guy thought I ruled (ha-ha) and to boot, has a very high impression of FF'ers now.
    Don't know if that answered the poll or not, but I was just dyin' to tell that story to someone besides my wife.
    -cmtundra