Flash poll of the week III

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by XstreamAngler, Nov 20, 2002.

1. skyriver Member

Covington, Washington.
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Art imitates life. The comment about work was interesting, but I think you have to be realistic. If some jerk contractor that makes 3x what everyone else in the office makes asks you a stupid (yes, there are stupid questions) without doing any legwork at all and expects a complete answer he/she deserves in the least a vague "I'll look into that and get back to you." People that are respectful will get farther with this than those that aren't. In work and in fishing.
    Anyway, having heard (and asked) "How's the fishing?" lingo for many years I thought I would put out some common ones and what I think they mean:
    How's the fishin?- This means "Hey, how's it going?" and is not intended to actually get a detailed fishing report.
    Doing any good?- This is a request for a little more info than "How's the fishin?", but still just an attempt to find out if fish actually exist in this body of water.
    Just got here.- This is the classic response for people (like myself) that haven't caught a fish yet, but think they should have.
    Got a couple.- This is one that can mean different things. If the guy is a jerk, it means he hasn't caught jack and is reaching for the worms. If he's a good guy he has most likely caught more than a couple and if you're polite you might find out how. Not where though.
    Doing pretty good- If this is said with much delight then he is "on." This is the person having one of those rare "do-no-wrong" days and in all fairness shouldn't be bothered. Besides, they may not have good info since they probably are just as lucky as they are good. However, if it's said with no emotion then they probably are used to catching way more fish than you are and may be tight lipped.
    Whatcha usin'?- This is the king of leaving the door open. If this is the first thing uttered out of their mouth. Well, they have a long road to improve. I'm not talking about their fly fishing skills. I mean their people skills. If I just spent 2 hours changing flies way too often and finally figured it out I equate that with doing all the legwork of a major project and then handing it over to the office idiot. If you ever ask me "Whatcha usin'? I'll probably laugh and then tell you a #5/0 midge.
    There are many more, but common sense is the driver for all of them.
    Have fun,
    Stacy
  2. John Kelly Member

Seattle, Wa, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    No problem sharing information with someone, especially if they are polite...

Jk
  3. wheelbarrow New Member

Seattle, WA.
    I'll tell someone what I'm using and give any help that I can. I've never asked anyone what they're using, though, nor have I encroached on someone's spot. I don't mind trying a bunch of flies/spots on my own. I do ask, occasionally, for hints on good river access on this board since I don't have time to scout much. But, people tend to be tight-lipped about things like that. Doesn't matter so much, though, since I'm as much of a "casting geek" as a "fishing geek" and even if the fish aren't around, I can work on my cast.

I've never met a rude fly fisher, either, so I guess I'm lucky.
  4. troutman101 Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    I size everyone up differently.

If they look ike they don't know the first thing about flies and flyfishng, I have no problem showing them my fly.

If they are looking like they might have some useful info, I throw out some good info. Especially if they are sporting beer. They will definately get flies for beer.

If they are looking for beta and nothing to trade or might look like they will be there next time I try to fish at the spot again, I start yelling at myself and hitting myself accross the face repeatedly. Then I break down and start crying until they run away. If they are still there after the show, I will let them in on my top super-secret beta that most beople would have to enroll in the witness protection program to hear. It is up to them if they want to change their name and Social Security Number. The last person I told ended up boot foot waders up in the river just continuously swirling in the dead dog hole on the Yak.

Just goes to show how important my beta really is.
  5. Youngin New Member

Tacoma, Washington, United States.
    I have only really been put in that situation a couple of times. Im usually the guy asking what the heck is going on, because I cant seem to figure it out. But when I have been asked I happily tell them and if I can spare it give them a fly. Unless its my dad, I make it a little more difficult for him to drag the info out of me.(that usually goes for all my other fishing buddies who normally catch way more fish than I do) People are normally nice to me, so I do what I can to help out a guy who just might not be getting it.
  6. flipdownflyboy New Member

fall city, wa, USA.
    If you’re respectful; you get info. If you are not; sorry you don’t! It’s as simple as that. No more, no less! If you’re a guide, you don’t own the river, stay out of my water as I will stay out of yours! I have no problem ripping you a new one in front of your clients! My free time is worth as much as your work time! I have to many run-ins with guides on the Yak to mention. Mostly Westside guides, the local boys in E-burg for the most part have good river etiquette. It’s an amazing resource; use it, cherish it; but don’t abuse or disrespect it!
    Flip Down Fly Boy!
  7. Salmon Candy Member

Bellevue, WA.
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    In the late '60's (yes, some of us remember some of those years), my brother and I were fishing Hosmer Lake. As was usual in those days, we were catching about 10 fish for every one caught by others because we learned the secret fly for the strain of Atlantic salmon in the lake at that time. (Different strain than now which are deep water dogs but less susceptible to overhead osprey attacks.) We adopted an unwarranted but proprietary attitude towards that lake-it was ours and the fish were ours to catch, laugh at their multiple jumps, be disappointed if a fish did not get into our backing. So, when another fisherman asked what we were using-the standard answer, fueled by attitude and Blitz Weinhard beer, was #8 Royal Coachman, fished wet. Well, actually the pattern was a stage 4, #14 Salmon Candy. (Another aside, this pattern has caught fish in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming)
    And then there was the time my father in law and I were fishing Chopaka during a cool (snowy) May. A westside fly club was in attendance and made their presence noisely felt across the lake, but there was one particularly loud boor who expounded without prompting, on his prodigous fishing and catching skills. There was a clear division between his vocal skills and the reality of his fishing skills. Again, we were catching fish after fish. When the boor glided up his boat to inquire as to our pattern, my father in law, never known for his churlish behavior, answered with a perfectly straight face, we are using a Witch's Tit. The poor fellow, obviously stumped as that pattern, simply said he was not familar with that pattern and slipped off downlake. The pattern actually was a Western Blue Dun.
    Now, I am willing to share patterns, fishing tips, insights, leader lenght and strenght and anything else I can think of when asked with the caveat that the asker observe simple courtesy-you know, the stuff you learned in kindergarten.
    The Salmon Candy and Western Blue Dun patterns can be found in Roy Patrick's Northwest Fly Patterns book.
  8. Luv2Spey Member

Sammamish, WA, USA.
    This happens to me numerous times and I simply apply the golden rule:
    My standard response, when asked how am I doing, is to tell the truth, show the fly and describe how I'm fishing it. If I have an extra fly, I'll always offer one to him/her.

If you see me on the water (Green '96 Exploder Lic #2309 POW, wearing a green Sim's long-bill or a black cowboy hat (when it's raining)), feel free to come on by and chat.

Cheers,

Michael
  9. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,648 / 0
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

I don't know why anybody should be rude on a river unless they get into your space and won't leave like what happened to YAKIMA. I'm usually pretty nice on the river. I give flies away,tell people where to go(on the river). Most of the time I'm a nice guy,but I have one draw back. I'll give out info on where to go because at my age I can't get to most of those places any more.

Jim