Flat Bed Trailer?

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Ed Call, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,235 / 9
    If anyone happens to have a decent flat bed trailer that would be suitable for a raft / cataraft I'd like to hear details. Let me know what you've got and how much you want for it. Thank you.
  2. Riverman Member

USA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Several guys I know are buying the lightest weight trailer they can find (Lowe's or Home Depot), and then adding a 6' x 10' plywood deck (with outdoor carpet) on top.

A friend bought a 6' x 12' trailer but it's simply not much fun dragging a heavy trailer around...
  3. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +431 / 2
    The cheapest way to go is probably to get a Harbor Freight trailer and modify it . Second cheapest is probably a Lowes trailer.

I've got a HF trailer that I intended to use for a dual utility and raft trailer. Now of course I don't have a raft. But it's still a very handy utility trailer.
  4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    I've got a small utility trailer that I've configured with a plywood platform on top. It holds the pontoon but also allows storage inside. It is just a bit small and I'm thinking something a bit larger than 4x5 would be good. Keep the ideas rolling. I'll check out lowes, costco and other such sources.
  5. LD Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +72 / 6
    Spend some $ or buy a good used one. The larger wheels 13" plus tow straight and ride much better. The other problem with the cheep trailers is the spindles and bearings are cheap. That could be a problem if you tow on a longer trip or use it a lot.
  6. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +211 / 3
    Ed,

Under the watercraft section is a thread about springcreek prams. There is a link to the trailer distributor they use and a picture of a pretty nice trailer with larger wheels. May be worth a call.

Rob
  7. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Thanks Rob. I'm gonna need a trailer to haul you and Mark out to the OP! I'll look into that link too. Thanks.
  8. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +201 / 1
    Beats being strapped to the roof with the pontoon, like last year, all to Hell!:rofl:
  9. Riverman Member

USA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    It's kinda hard to find METRIC bearings for some of the trailers out there... I asked, and apparently the Lowe's and Home Depot trailers have US-made bearings in them. I'd have to see the bearing number to be sure, but that was what I was told.
  10. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +572 / 5
    Here's the best way to go. Find yourself an old driftboat trailer. Alot of the older ones were flatbed, or partial flatbeds. Just pull the old decking off and add new full sheet decking. For my bigger catarafts, I had converted an old driftboat trailer and worked great.
  11. 1morecast Active Member

Port Angeles
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    Mumbles,

I'm not sure what you plan on hauling , but if you are putting a full size raft 12 ft or larger I would stay away from those kits that that are sold at the home centers, they are not really built for any serious hauling. They don't have any clearence, sometimes you won't have the luxery of a paved ramp, those little tires heat up fast on long trips and are prone to flats, and they are just not built to take the abuse that a good raft trailer is going to have to take just getting to the water. In 15 years I played around with 3 differant rafts while all the time using tha same trailer I bought from BW Trailers in Belgrade, Mt. It was 10 ft x 7ft, and with a 14 ft maravia it was not a problem to tow with a 96 dodge dakota with a 6 cylinder.

Protect your investment buy the best trailer you can afford.
  12. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +759 / 0
    I'm trying to sell some quad's and have a 2006 Shorelander flat-bed trailer, with metal flooring. It'd hold that raft in a heartbeat. Then again, I'd trade the three quad's for a new raft too.

Either way, Ed, go for a large trailer. It helps organize things better and one less thing to worry about. My .02.
  13. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +177 / 0
    I talked to the guy just yesterday. It is an excellent unit and he has a couple in stock. Micha England 509-665-9631. 1500# springs, 13" wheels, proper bearings and spindles. $995 + T&L. In fact I'm picking one up on Sunday with a 10' Spring Creek on it. Thank you golfman. In fact, I'll probably be selling my 9' quad pontoon. Josh.
  14. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +572 / 5
    Well, some of those kit trailers you just have to look hard at them. Some aren't bad. Like Don's above, would work. But seriously, how many of you guys truly drop your trailers in to launch your pontoons and rafts? I rarely ever do. Maybe because I lift for a living, so very few boats truly to heavy for me to maneuver (a 10' skookum is a piece of cake for me to move loaded). I normally will pull the trailer close and slide boat off. Only time I didn't was when I modified my old driftboat trailer to carry my super wide and long 16' cataraft. Had to use channel strut to hold boat on. So had to back trailer in to launch and load. But most flat decks where the boat fits on, I'll slide off before touching the water.
  15. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    I sent an email to Micah last night. My ideal solution would be a utility with removable sides so that I can flat bed the 2 man pontoon and then put the sides on for yard waste, bark and dirt work that the misses will have me doing because of they aforementioned use of the flat bed for the float fishing. Are 13" wheels big enough for longer trips? Derek, what are you doing with your trailer now? I know a guy who might be looking for something that would hold the two man inflatable!
  16. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    13" is the absolute smallest size wheel to consider, and the smaller the wheel, the more you should spend on tires and bearings. I forget how much faster a tire spins for each inch decreased in wheel size, but it's a bunch.
  17. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    I just went outside and checked my motorboat trailer. It has 13" wheels, and carries a 15' Whaler, with a 60 horse motor, two batteries and 15 gallons of gas. It probably weighs 1500 lbs. I keep the bearings lubed, and use 6 ply tires inflated to around 50 psi, but I'd tow that to Mexico tomorrow, so on a raft trailer, 13" is gold, as long as you have clearance on the ramps.
  18. briansII Member

Reedley, Ca.
    Ratings: +2 / 0
  19. Trout Master Active Member

I have a shorelander boat trailer that I picked up from the dealership I worked at years ago. I removed the bunks removed the bow stand and added 3" box tubing across the frame. decked it with 3/4" plywood coated in epoxy and undercoating on the bottom. added a old truck bed mounted tool box to the front end. will carry many pontoons and has made hundreds of trips across the mountains. it is rated for 1800lbs. has 12" tires and buddy bearings. have replaced tires once. have maybe 500 bucks into it including purchace. now granted the trailer was considered a total when I bought it. Other wise the price would have been alot more. but it serves me well.
  20. Jim Wheeler Full time single dad and pram builder

Tonasket, WA
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    You won't be disappointed with the quailty of workmanship on Micah's trailers. It took me about 5 different manufacturers and all the things I didn't like to end up with the design of the trailer Micah now builds. Keep in mind he can build pretty much anything you want i.e. longer, wider, taller sides, removeable sides, larger tires (not suggested), box on the front, etc.

Jim Wheeler
    Spring Creek Prams