flatfish

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by wyofly, Jan 3, 2013.

1. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    These flies or to some, lures were available about 20 years ago and I successfully used them on Kings. I don't remember where I got them or their name. The three in the picture are you finish flies and can be adorned with flash or fish pattern stickies. Anyone remember their name or source?

[IMG]
  2. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Larry Tullis Wiggle Bug
  3. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,560 / 0
    The "kit" for "tying" the Wiggle Bug was sold by Edgewater Popper Bodies. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, Edgewater either sold out or went belly up. I can't find any of their products other then on places like E-Bay.

Anyway, Edgewater was the company that sold the bodies and they were indeed called Wiggle Bugs... they never worked for me.

However, I've been experimenting with some bait fish patterns that use a lip and those do wiggle like a Flat Fish and work for me... at least for warm water fish. I haven't had a chance to try them for andromous fish.
  4. pittendrigh Active Member

montana
    Ratings: +50 / 0
  5. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    And ... how effective are they?
  6. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,560 / 0
    Posted in error, disregard. Sorry about that.
  7. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    For flies with bills fans

constructeur likes this.
  8. pittendrigh Active Member

montana
    Ratings: +50 / 0
    I think that question was directed at my wigglers........because my photos were in the quote.

The answer is alarmingly effective. At times anyway.
    Here's a story I wrote way back when, that I never did get published.

What distinguishes my wigglers from most others (that I see on the net) is the line placement. I always run the tippet out through the middle of the diving bill, and not at the top. Wigglers are tricky to balance properly. I use closed cell foam to create buoyancy at the upper rear end. Weight (beads or lead) at the lower front. And run the line out through the middle of the bill. I always make the bill too big at first. Each one has to be tuned (only once) at streamside, with toe nail clippers. Once they start to dive and wiggle in a straight line. You done. You can fish it until you lose it.

They are particularly good for snaking downstream into log jambs and bank side hiding places.
    I tried to post another image here but the Xenforo forum software is........curse words censored.
    There are more images at the links below. I paid good money for Xenforo once. But found other open source forums to be more reliable.

http://montana-riverboats.com/index.php?page=Fly-Tying/Sandy-Pittendrigh/Halfords-Ghost.htm
  9. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    Yes, the question was directed pittendrigh. Thank you for responding.
  10. Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    I tie wigglers! They work pretty darn well...

Attached Files:

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  11. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    Good looking wigglers. In the right colors, how do you think they would work on SRC's?
  12. Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    Tied small and sparse, they certainly would work for SRC.