Flats boat opening for Salmon on Fly in Kodiak Saltwater

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Cast2way, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Cast2way

Cast2way row-ho services for hire

I'm headed up to Kodiak for a fly-out trip in the bush and I booked a trip with Lee Robbins on his "Secret Weapon" for Sept 2nd. The SW is a true Caribbean flats boat that Lee hauled all the way up to Kodiak. He fishes in the saltwater bays for salmon and steelhead that are staging to head up river. The SW is able to follow the tide in/out and its all sight fishing in shallow water. He says sometimes there are a thousand fish out in front of the boat. I figure this will be a truly unique experience that I have to try at least once in my life. Here's a link to his page but not a lot of info:

http://possibilitiesunlimitedalaska.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=71

There is room for 2 anglers on the boat so if anyone happens to be up there, you are welcome to join me. Cost is $250.

2. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

Cool idea for a trip and the price is right. I can't make it but I would sure be interested in his answer to why bring a flats boat up there instead of just build a poling platform on an aluminum jon boat. IMHO having owned both, the jon boat floats shallower, is a lot cheaper and stands up to abrasive bottoms much better.

3. Cast2way

Cast2way row-ho services for hire

I'll ask. I suppose it just looks cooler! :)