Flatwings for Coho

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by porterHause, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Just getting in to tying flatwings, and after doing some diving for crab, following around various schools of herring and sandlance, I tied up a couple.

Single wing Olive, with olive over chartreuse bucktail, and a peacock top. More just for standard coho fare.
    IMG_20120824_154305.jpg

Tied this one up after flollowing a school of herring around for about 20 minutes. 3 wing, blue over olive over white. Mixed blue/olive bucktail, and a peacock top.
    IMG_20120825_234236.jpg

My first test with the chartreuse was at Golden Gardens this past weekend. Only 3 flatfish and 6 sculpin to hand. At least someone thinks they're fishy. Sure wish the coho would come that way though.

These are my first flatwing ties, so please, comments are welcome.

2. Jon,
    Hard to see detail from photos so hard to make specific comments. I am a flatwing fan. Coho like em too. Try some florescent chartreuse bt. I'm sure there must be a you-tube out there somewhere on flat wings. I assume you are tying a buck tail "tail" in first and then a "pillow"? They are important components which help the fly "swim".

A three or four feather flatwing is actually a complicated fly to tie with some 13-15 steps and almost as many different materials. When done right they sure look good in the water. Don't be afraid to "massage" the materials a bit to get them to the shape you want.
    Here is a photo of some I have tied recently. So far, I have just caught resident silvers ( and cutthroat) on them.
    If you are catching flatfish and sculpins maybe you are too near the bottom?
    Jack

Attached Files:

Pat Lat likes this.
  3. Those are some good looking flies!

The video below has been my guide, along with some advice from the folks at Avid Angler, and Ken Abrahams book, which I'm currently reading through. Bucktail "tail", then pillow, feather, flashbou, feather...repeat. Lots of massaging...

I'm fishing a clear intermediate Outbound line...Do you suggest a floater? Sat/Sun at GG didn't have very optimal conditions, so I was just happy that something ate them.

Are you stripping, or do you just let them drift?

Thanks for the input.

4. Jon,
    Hey, that's a great video. I haven't seen it before but it is the way I learned to tie (big) flatwings back east. Ken Abrames is the master when it comes to flatwings. He and Joe Cordiero.
    I generally fish a floating line for cutthroat but lots of guys fish intermediate lines. I have both but favor the floating line because most of the time the Cutthroats are in shallow water and a floating line is just the ticket. Many of our fly patterns have weight so that helps. For salmon, well, maybe the intermediate is better??? I really can't say. Also, I like a floater because it takes less effort to pick up and cast as opposed to a sinker. I'm getting to be a lazy fisherman.
    As far as stripping goes, yes I do strip them in but prefer to swing the fly in a current (moving tide) with a twitch or a strip once in awhile. Hope this helps. Perhaps there will be others on the forum with some thoughts on this.
    Jack
    PS The photo is of the flies I have been tying and using recently. Another type fly worth thinking about is the Deceiver. I don't know how much it is used here but it is a great fly. I like it for silvers. DSC04510.JPG

5. nice to see so many people tying flatwings
    my second favorite salt patterns

6. Those are all great looking ties, I've not used more than two hackles on my flat wings.... but it's got me thinking.

I'm sure I'm not the first to try this, but I tied a tube clouser, flat wing today and think it might work out pretty well. The hook will have to ride down, but that's OK. Tying pink and grizzly up next and hit a beach tomorrow.

DSCN1923.JPG

Ron McNeal and Jackd like this.
  7. Mark, that's a nice one. I'm going to have to start tying tube flies.
    Jack

8. What is your first favorite?
    Jack

9. IMGP06242.jpg Double Reverse Spider

10. That's a very interesting choice. I have to think about that a bit.
    Jack

Pat Lat likes this.
  11. I have tied and used reverse spiders (not double) but without success (in the salt). I don't have the confidence in the fly. BUT, I SHOULD!
    Years ago, the first time I fished the Sol Duc, my friend Ron Link loaned me a 5 wt rod with the biggest reverse spider (yellow) tied on you ever saw. I thought he was kidding me. Well, we each caught a bunch of steelhead that day. As soon as that spider swung around and started "breathing" in the current, the fish were on it.
    I'll give em a try in the salt. Will tie up some doubles.
    Jack

12. flatwing.jpg
    I think you'll be happy with the result
    here is my close second
    this fly landed me one of the largest searuns I have cught so far

13. What hook are you tying those on Kelvin?

14. size 6 or 8 Dai-Riki mostly
    if tied in the right colors it also makes a nice October Caddis pattern and fishes just under the surface

15. are you guys using 2 feathers in your flat wings? i seem to remember seeing flat wings tied with 2-4 feathers?
    that would seem to be hard to do. just getting 2 feathers to sit right is hard enough.

16. mostly two
    but I do alot of one feather
    and have done up to 4 on bigger patterns

the one pictured is two feathers
    I only tie mine in at the back
    some tie them in both front and back
    watch the video on this post the guy gives you the one of the secrets to getting them to lie flat

guess it's not a secret anymore.......

you will figure the other secert out if you tie a few of them

or you could PM me

17. Counting the first underwing, all the flat wings I tie are four feather. Big (long) flat wings are easier to tie (I think) but good, long feathers may be hard to find. Smaller (shorter) flat wings are more difficult to tie but feathers may be easier to come by.
    JACK