Flatwings

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Jack Devlin, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

2. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

those are great ties

3. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

looks like an assortment of searun candy to me, love the flies, wishin I could have given you a ride to the holiday swap earlier this month.:)

4. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Those are really sweet Jack, you do nice work!

5. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Nice work. Really like the transluscent heads.

TC

6. Brad Niemeyer

Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Solid work. I also like the translucent head. What size are those? I esp like a small flatwing.

7. Jack Devlin

Those are Gama SC15 #6 and #4. I tie on #2 also. Single and multi-wing. For sea-run cutts I keep em NLT 3 inches. For silvers up to 6 inches and larger hooks. Here is a photo of flatwings for silvers tied on heavier SS #2 hooks. They are 5 1/2 - 5 3/4 long.
    jack

8. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Great flatwings Jack, thanks for the inspiration... again

9. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Jack
    Great flies. I have not tied flat wing patterns. Do you have a recommendation on books or websites where I could read up on these flies?

I see now that your photo was used as the cover to Doug Rose's newsletter. What a compliment to you and your flatwings!

10. Jack Devlin

Hi Jeff,
    Thanks for your nice comments on the photo. I hope you had a chance to read my essays in Doug's Newsletter as well. I'm thankful to Doug for letting me be a part of his blog/newsletter these past few years.
    As far as books on flatwings, the only one I am aware of is that by Joe Cordeiro. I don't have the book and was hoping I would get one for Christmas:(. The only place the book is available is on the Blurb site. I have added the link below. There is a video or you tube out there but name escapes me at the moment. I'll think of it and let you know. I am familiar with and have tied flat wings for many years as an avid striped bass fisherman from back east Search Results | Blurb Books
    Jack
    PS There are some really great essays in the Newsletter. I have a hard time reading from the computer screen so I printed the whole thing and tonight I am going to kick back with a few glasses of my favorite amber liquid and enjoy some quality reading time.
    J

11. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Jack
    Thank you for the link. I look forward to exploring more on these flies.

yes, I did enjoy your essay as well! Y
    ou might check Doug's website, it appears your second essay on coho fishing has been posted incorrect, repeating a paragraph and not including the end of the essay. I look forward to "page 2"!

12. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Jack,
    Beautiful flat wings. The Joe Cordeiro YouTube video is very nice especially showing the movement of the fly in water. Also thanks for your Christmas Essay in Doug's newsletter as well. I really appreciate the informative work that fisher people like you, Doug, Preston, Leland, Chester, Les, and so many many others mentor us upon. Thanks and Happy New Year to All.

P.S. If you haven't done so already and if not too much of a burden would you be willing to post a step-by-step flatwing tie?

13. Jack Devlin

Tacoma Red,
    Your thoughtful comments are appreciated.
    I very much want to do an SBS and as soon as I get some camera issues resolved I will do so.
    Jack

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  14. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

15. Jack Devlin

Jon,
    I recall your SBS and nice flatwing ties.Ken Abrames is credited as the originator of the flatwing streamer for saltwater. As a former east coast striper fisherman, I am well familiar with him. I followed his site - "Striper Moon". Never got the book but have seen it.
    Thanks,
    Jack

16. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

Any substitute for the jungle cock?
    Leave it out?? Somehow I think that would make a big difference.

17. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

Epoxy heads with stick on eyes.

18. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

Yeah - OK!!