Flies for Cabo Dorado/Roosters

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Steve Kokita, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Heading for Cabo in August, show me some good flies to tie for catching these bad boys! Thanks...

2. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

EP minnows in blue/white and olive/white. Tie them BIG and bring scissors and a sharpie to trim to size and add stripes/ spots as needed to match the forage. One of the guys at my LFS goes all the time, and he likes any big baitfish fly off the beach, unweighted, and also likes Clousers for when you need to get down deeper.

3. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

If your going out on a Panga for Dorado. tie up some Shock- n- Awe. Blue / white ,,,,,lite brown / white aand olive white. 4 to 6 inches

4. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

I can't help you with roosters since I only managed a few follows. Did OK on dorado though. The ballyhoo were thick when I was down there in May and I landed 3 on the patterns below. Not that dorado appear to be picky eaters but there were a lot of ballyhoo at the time so I tied accordingly.

Belly: White magnum bunny-strip, colored with Sharpie pens.
    Main "body": EP fiber and flashabou, both in pearl.
    Top of "wing": Black and blue Fishair and Angel hair in Herring back.
    Head: Epoxy over large holographic eyes. f

[​IMG]

Also hooked one, lost one on this popper:

Basically a crease fly with pearl angel hair epoxied to the outside and colored with Sharpie pen.
    [​IMG]

5. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

I'd check with Anil at Puget Sound FCo. He has Shock & Awes ready made, and makin's. I started using the Steve Ferrar (sp?) Flash Blend, and tore 'em up both last summer and in April

6. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

Don't know that the fly is as important as keeping it moving....these guys won't take dead bait.......

7. Bob Young

Bob Young Member

For searching by trolling out of a boat, tie a huge 3" tube fly with as many bright pink hen hackles as you can pack on and put a 1" diameter popping head in front.

8. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

A great reference for flies to use in those areas is Trey Comb's very good book: "Blue Water Fly Fishing." Some of those fly patterns have taken world record fish down there. The tackle notes will be a little dated, but the rigging information is very good.

9. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Great info guys, thanks...keep em coming!

Bob Triggs likes this.
  10. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Also look up Lefty Kreh's book on saltwater flies. A great selection there. I think it was published by Stackpole Books. And go visit the Dan Blanton website as many of those guys are serious South-of-the-border fishermen.