Flies for kings

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Pat Lat, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Tied these up hoping that I may get a hold of a chinook in my dreams, I went with a more natural color scheme in hopes of finding a king feeding on herring in the shallows before dawn.

The tube fly is a few shades of bucktail blended with gliss n glow. Then icelandic sheep, black and uv krystal flash, topped with peacock herl. I also used one strip of lateral scale (never used it before, its like wide crinkle mirror flash) running the length of the fly. The body is hollow body braid with red glass beads inside, so it jangles the fish in from the deep.(saw that on some pike flies in a magazine a while ago)
    The flies with the trailer are essentially the same minus the sheep and the body. but I added glow in the dark flashabou underneath

I hope these work like magic. If anyone has any other kingy patterns they would like to share feel free. With the exception of the funky flashabou shock and awe that from the previous king thread THAT WE ALL KNOW WAS PHOTOSHOPPED.;)

IMG_7479.JPG IMG_7487.JPG IMG_7494.JPG

2. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Photoshopped? Ha!

Pat Lat likes this.
  3. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Nice! Great color and hope the pull a king out of the early morning waters. Looks like a bit of time invested in each one. They turned out great.

4. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Thanks, they werenot much longer to tie than my stinger clousers, maybe 25 min plus epoxy time

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  5. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Wow. Those are making me hungry!
    Nice ties!

6. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Ditto! Lucky for me I made some chicken stew tonight! Those flies are safe for now!

7. Fishee

Fishee Member

I'd eat it!

8. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Nice !!! I like the oversized eye's, that should get there attention......

9. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Pro Tube heads?

10. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Really nice ties Pat.

11. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

no just epoxy over 3D eyes, HMH style tubes. They look way cooler in person, the camera doesn't pick up the depth of the flash.

12. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Those look pretty dang nice Pat.

13. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Great tube fly pattern, skillfully tied! They might fish even better if you tie in a small amount of lead just under the eye to give it a diving towards the bottom action when you pause your retrieve. Two or three strands of glo in the dark flashabou at the lateral line might help get your chinook's attention in the pre-dawn scenario.