Flies for OS

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Salmo_g, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Getting a bit ahead of myself already, but I started thinking about flies to use for Occupy Skagit. I think I'd rather not waste good hooks by clipping them at the bend. So I noticed all these paper clips in my desk drawer. I'm thinking about bending the large bend nearly closed to make an eye. I need to get to work on one with some pliers to see if this is feasible. If it is, it would be an el cheapo Waddington shank with nothing to tie a hook on the tail end.

Next step is a suitable OS fly pattern. My inclination is to alternate palmered red, white, and blue marabou.

Sg

Jamie Wilson and KerryS like this.
  2. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

How about a hunk of bunny? No shank required.

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

If I go, I'm simply going to tie a piece of yarn to the end to the tippet. Pretty easy. Why even bother with even tieing on a cut off shank (or a waddington)?

4. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

I'll be swinging bendless skaters.

Evan Burck likes this.
  5. TD

TD Active Member

If you have any tube flies you're already done.

6. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

You're acting like you might get a grab or something! :)

7. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I like the idea paper clip flies!

8. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Another idea if you don't want to clip even cheap hooks is to use cotter pins.

9. Paul Huston

Paul Huston Swinger

Sk8er Tubes!

10. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

I'd tie up a dozen fully dressed Jock Scotts or partridge M hooks size 4/0 should do it.... then clip them off at the bend...

or

Why not fish skaters?????

actually the cotter pin with a clump pf marabou sounds good to me

11. Achilles

Achilles Member

I'll start with some cured eggs and then switch to plugs... What? I'll use my spey rod... doesn't that count?

12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

How do you keep your eggs on your un-fly?

13. Jerry Daschofsky

Easy, tie an egg loop. If you cut the bend off, the egg loop will still be there, Just have to make sure your eggs are a bit more firm is all since there's no curve in hook to help keep eggs on. :)

14. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Jerry - egg loop or not, think those eggs will still be there after a Spey cast?

15. Jerry Daschofsky

Sure, if they're cured right. I've cast into a tree and yard armed out a baited hook that had already been through the drift a few times. BUT....I know how to cure up eggs right. Lol

16. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

April 6 eh? I think I'll swing a hookless Miyawaki Beach Popper and see if I can raise some dollies.

Leland.

17. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

My bet IS you'll raise some dollies. I've done it - but not with a beach popper. Should work!!
    They will get airborne on the strike
    Where will you be pretend fishing??

18. rmflyrods

rmflyrods Member

I've been using Paper clips as shanks for some of my winter flies for a couple/few of seasons now. They work great.

19. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

I know this will sound really bad...but part of me actually wants to sneak off to some prime water and skate a hookless fly over it and see what I can rise....I have to keep telling myself NO...protest in large groups...be as visible as possible or it's a wasted effort..

20. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Jawbreaker sized clipped hook globugs?

[​IMG]