Flies for Pinks

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Ron Crawford, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Lynnwood, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    6 Gami Octopus or bonefish hook.
  2. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    iagree
    Don't need to be large streamers.
  3. SeaRun Fanatic Member

Northwest, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Absolutely agree. 6wt, preferably 7wt, 8-10 lb Maxima, and horse 'em. Light rods and fine tippets overly stress fish and are borderline unethical IMO. I have a blast on humpies with my 7wt and take at the very outside maybe 1 minute per pound to land and release a fish.
  4. Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

puget sound
    Ive been using #4 gami steelhead streamer hooks, too big? Too small? Ok? Thanks for the help, this will be my first year targeting humpies with a fly rod, very excited.
  5. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    For fishing along our beaches for salmon that are nearing rivers I tie up my salmon flies on stout, saltwater hooks in sizes 6, 8 and 10. These fish are getting ready to head up parent streams and have usually stopped actively feeding. They are often referred to as "staging' or 'waiting period" salmon. This is where small attractor patterns come into play.
    Gamakatsu SS15, or good old Mustad 34007 have always worked for me for this fishing. What I've discovered over time is that I rarely snag a salmon; pink, coho or chum when fishing from the beaches when employing small hooks, either lightly weighted with tiny bead chain or mini-chrome lead eyes or unweighted. I began using small hooks for my beach flies several years ago when I started fishing with Canadian friends who live on Vancouver Island and discovered that flies dressed on small, stout hooks will hold some pretty darned skookum salmon. As for dressing garishly festooned flies, I prefer tying nice sparsely dressed patterns that look good in my fly box and good to the fish.
    A 7-weight is a nice rod for pinks as it has enough guts to lean on these pugnacious little critters. This season I'm also trying out a TFO Jim Teeny 10-foot, 6-weight. I'm rambling here because I'm getting anxious.....
    Good Fishing,
    Les
  6. FishOn! New Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Thanks, I'll have to start tying a few up
  7. mstrofsinanju {Fly fishing} = Time well spent

Everett,WA
    How about landing these besties. Are you folks using nets, tail grab, with or without gloves, one of those jaw grabers? I know these fitters have some good teeth, what works best for you?
  8. SeaRun Fanatic Member

Northwest, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Well-crimped hook, twist of the fly (fish tailed if absolutely necessary), and bye-bye... I figure, how many glory shots of humpies are really necessary, anyway?
  9. WT Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    At the beach where I fish you start running away from the water as soon as you hook a fish. Slide'em right onto the cobble, don't even have to use your reel. The trick is running back to the fish before it wriggles back into the water.
    WT
  10. TomB Active Member

seattle,wa
    Ratings: +56 / 0
    very bad for the fish...scales are usually very loose in the salt and this kind of handling can result in significant mortality....nothing wrong with keeping them, but if you are going to release them you might as well help to ensure their survival by keeping them off the rocks and in the water.
  11. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    Be careful tailing or otherwise handing these fish in knee deep or deeper water. I've seen seals nearly move people over trying to get to a hooked fish in the shallows... Another reason I stick with 12lb maxima and prefer 7-8wt rods...
  12. WT Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I make sure that the rocks are wet first.
    WT
  13. Dave Hartman is tired of trout

Whitefish, MT
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    Tom B, why are the scales "loose in the salt"?
    I'm just curious as to what purpose this serves the fish?
    Thanks.
  14. obiwankanobi Active Member

Ratings: +98 / 0
    A true conservationist!!!:hmmm:
  15. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Scales get loose the closer the salmon get to reaching natal waters. Well out in the salt when they are still prime and feeding heavily, scales are tighter.
    Les Johnson
  16. Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I'm pretty new at targeting salmon in the salt as well. Does anyone here fish the salt in the northern Hood Canal? and do you think a pink on white marabou streamer with a bit of krystal flash would do the trick?
    -Ethan
  17. Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Lynnwood, WA

Yes, just keep it on the smaller side.
  18. BFK Member

North Sound, Wash.
    Les-- You're 180 out on the scales thing, at least with chinook. Blackmouth shed scales like crazy, but they're locked tight on mature kings close to the river...I can't imagine it's different on other species, but I've never paid that much attention to the others.

Do you really find it the opposite? Interesting.

BFK
  19. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    BFK,
    You may be correct. I do know that salmon scales begin loosening pretty rapidly upon entering fresh water. Once salmon stop feeding in the salt though I believe that the scales begin to loosen. I find the scales very tight on salmon taken well north, such as salmon that have just arrived onto the Continental Shelf around Langara Island in the QCs. I'm surprised we havent heard from Curt on this thread. Thanks for our input. I'll pay more attention this season.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson
  20. BFK Member

North Sound, Wash.
    Fishing at Montague Island out of Seward, we found younger chinook (smaller and with no eggs developing) dumping scales like a boiled herring. The larger fish had tight scales....and didn't lose them noticeably. Since there are no significant streams really close (although PW Sound is right there), I'd think it might be a matter of maturity. Dunno, y'know. I haven't really paid close attention (except for blackmouth), but now I will...

With luck and a break in the weather, I'll find out in the next couple of days...