Flies for Redfish

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Diehard, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Diehard

Diehard aka Justin

Media:
    Hey guys,
    I will be down in Texas (Port Aransas) for 4 days starting this Thursday. My dad and I will be fishing for 2 of those days in the flats for Redfish. I have fished down there for them in the past, but we have always had a guide and spining gear. Does anyone know what type of flies would be good for them? Redfish fight so hard and would be a blast on a flyrod. Any other pointers would also be appreciated. Thanks! :thumb:

2. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Justin,
    Do a Google search under Redfish Fly Fishing or Redfish Flies and you'll find tons of info.
    Brian

3. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Try various clouser type flies in pink\white, chartruese, etc. Water conditions vary greatly depending on where you are, time of year, etc. Don't be surpised if you have about 6 inches of visibilty... Fish bigger patterns if that is the case. Tandum flies seem to do well in those situations too. Maybe more vibritions and movement to draw them in...

Also, don't overlook the black drum and speckled 'trout' fishing down there. Find a feeder creek of some kind and fish the seam line (often one side or the other will offer higher visibility too). And of course, watch for the fish tailing in the shallows as they hunt baitfish, small crabs, shrimp, etc...

4. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:
    Closers in natural colors, shrimp imitations, crab imitations, and spoon flies. The spoon flies push the "fly" limit about as close as you can come. I fished them in Jacksonville and was surprised that the guide recommended all natural colors. They are a blast and are as spooky as they can come! Good luck spotting those tails!

5. Diehard

Diehard aka Justin

Media:
    Cool, thanks guys. I will have to do some tying tonight. Should these be tied with no weight since it is really shallow or with weight so they stay on the bottom?

6. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    I'd go with weighted. Like I said, if you aren't having a lot of luck in the shallows (like a foot or less of water) - try 2-5 feet deep and look for the speckled trout and black drum. The teeth on those 'trout' are pretty impressive...

I also remember a friend who like to fish poppers in the shallows for the reds. Never tried it myself - but sounds fun. The fish are aggressive hunters and really key in on motion and sound (panicked bait fish).

7. PT

PT Physhicist

Clousers are a good choice. Make sure you have some tan/white ones though. Some with weight, some without but make sure you tie them with heavy mono weed guards or you'lll regret it. Nothing more frustrating than picking up weeds on every cast. :thumb:

8. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Media:
    The July/August issue of Fly Fishing in Saltwater has a fly called a Beach Bug that sounds like it has been fantastic for Reds. The fly was created by Al Quattrocchi.

Willie

9. Diehard

Diehard aka Justin

Media:
    Thanks for the help guys. I just got back from my trip. I posted a report in the Trips section. :thumb:

10. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    You worried about the hurricane heading down there so soon?

I caught redfish in Venice, LA using spoon flies, they seemed to work fine as every fish that saw the fly ate it.