Flies for SRC's???

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by crnamav, Oct 7, 2002.

1. crnamav

crnamav New Member

I'd like to know what type of flys (sizes, colors) can I tie up to use on cutts. I have tied enough clousers that I am set for the newt couple years. I am giving up on the silvers so any help with catching a cutt is appreciated.

Thanks

I'm so optimistic that I'd go after moby dick in a float tube and take the tarter sauce with me!

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

They like Stimulators,tied with orange/brown dubbing. I use yarn as I find it eaiser. Too much trouble to learn how to apply dubbing. Size 10,12. Elk Hair Caddis 10,12,14. Royal Wulff I like mine small, size 14,16,18,but have to buy them. Same problem as above too shaky. Sculpins also work(but I've yet to catch one on them). Spiders and reverse spiders. These I usually just buy. Same as above problem.

Jim

3. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    Probably the biggest source of SRC flies is at http://www.angelfire.com/wa/salmonid/patterns5.html

Also, most of us fish either spiders or reverse spiders for them. Its a long, but knowledgable thread about how to tie this simple effective pattern.

Out in the salt its a little more varied, but clousers are a mainstay.

Rob
    ---------
    Genetic pollution damages wild
    stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!

4. miked

miked New Member

Media:
    i use royal wolffs # 10 95% of the time for sea runs.hope that works mike d

5. wyo_guy

wyo_guy New Member

How are you fishing these flies? Dead drifting or waking? Are there SRCs in the Sky?

Tim

6. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    Hey tight loops, I've been working on a new pattern for SCR's. It's been working well so far. I'm tying some more in different colors, orange, pink, etc. IT's sort of a spider/something else. With a spider head (mallard flank)and then sort of like a freight train? I wish I had a digital camera. Damn. anyway it all started after I read that long thread. Experimenting is cool. hehehehe. :DEVIL YT

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

Yep.

8. Preston

Preston Active Member

For years now, I've used the Reversed Spider as a searching pattern in the rivers. Sea-run cutthroat will almost always show for it if they're around; flashing, boiling or plucking at the fly if not outright hammering it (it also works well in saltwater).

In the rivers, cutthroat will often be found in groups of anywhere from a couple to a dozen or more so, if you hook one, fish the area carefully. The most delightful situation that a fly angler can come across is to find a pod of cutthroat actively surface feeding. The giveaway here is the rise form; a sipping rise that leaves a ring with a bubble in the center, the size of the rise giving little indication of the size of the fish. Sometimes cutthroat can exhibit the most incredible naivete, being quite willing to smack anything that floats overhead, but at other times they can be quite selective. Yesterday, in one small pool, a friend of mine and I hooked at least a dozen cutthroat (and one jack coho) who ignored everything but size 18 and 20 BWO imitations (in this case Quigley Cripples tied in BWO colors). The biggest fish was seventeen inches; I don't think the northwest offers much more interesting and exciting fishing than this.

9. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    What I found out for me that works great is a 9' flourocarbon leader tied onto a #10 BROWN TEENY FLY NYMPH, along with a 10-12' type 4-5 sink tip. Throw at 2 o'clock and let it downswing with current while slowly stripping it in giving time for your tip to sink to near bottom. When your line is right around 9 o'clock, continue to strip your line in "slowly" til you feel the slightest resistance and then "Set The Hook!". The most important factor I've found is 1)FlOROCARBON 2)The feel for "soft resistance" when stripping it in slow. The Steelhead and Cutthrout take these Really Soft thinking nothing of it. Actually I believe the fly is still swirling around in their mouths, what the resistance you feel is the fishs mouth around the head of the fly or on the tippet! and won't take off like a bus til you set the hook!
    WEIRD FEELING on this technique, you can actually FEEEEL the fly in the fishs mouth without him taking off.
    I caught 5 18-20" cutthrout this way at my local river. I thought they were baby steelhead they fought so hard! Hooked 1 steelhead this way using a #10 Black Stonefly Nymph with rubber leges but the fly came out of its mouth.

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
    Matthew 4:19

10. gknell9

gknell9 New Member

I am sorry, what is "waking"
    Tony

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

I would use those sized flies and I do have them but I have way too much trouble trying to get my leader thru the eye. Bad eyes and the shakes. I tied to put one on my line today but just couldn't hold still long enough to do it. It's enough to send me off my rocker.

Tried a magnifiying glass but I shook to bad. So I have to get by with bigger flies.

I agree that little flies do catch bigger fish.

Jim

12. crnamav

crnamav New Member

You guys are great. Thanks for all the info. Looks like I've got some serious vise time ahead of me. Anyone looking for a fishing partner around Port Townsend? I want to start hitting gov't pass! Heard the cutts run there a bit.

I'm so optimistic that I'd go after moby dick in a float tube and take the tarter sauce with me!

13. Peter Pancho

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hey "old but wise man" , have you tried pre-tying 2' tippets to them at home? Then when you switch to a dif. fly, just use a double/triple surgical to attach to end of tapered leader. Not saying that this is what you should do, just saying maybe it would be easier to attach flies, and also faster. Good luck!

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

I was kinda thinking along those lines, but I don't know what kind of mess it would make in my fly boxes and I really don't know what I going to use until I get out there. I went out and bought a nice magnfiying glass to try,but If I get out there on a sunny day I might just try to start a fire. My mind likes to wander even when I go fishing. I've seen those boxes of threaders out there and I just might invest in some of them. That way I could load my flies on them at home. It would be less messy than the leader thing. Yeah you load each threader up with about 4 flies and when you are ready for another fly you just run your leader thru the threader end and pull you fly off the threader. Then all you have to do is tie it on. I would only use it on flies from size 16 to 20. I can usually get it on a size 14 and bigger with no problem.

But thanks for your input. :THUMBSUP

Jim :BIGSMILE

15. MacRowdy

MacRowdy Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yeah Jim you can get it on a size 14 or bigger with no problem as long as you are sitting your ARSE on a log. hahahaha

MacRowdy :LOVEIT

16. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

So it's starting is it. I was going to be a nice guy and be nice to you,but no you don't want it that way. :TONGUE If you don't tell them my bad habits I won't tell them yours. Lets see. After eating a candy bar or two or three. You littered the ground with your garbage. That was item no.1. You wear panty hose under your waders no.2. You talk alot but don't know how to fish no. 3. Your fly box is neat but you arn't no.4. Etc. etc. etc.
    :TSKTSK

Jim

17. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    Good one jim. they don't call him Mac"Rowdy" for nothing. I think you two should have a smolt tournament, may the best man win. Or should I say, the biggest flipper of insolts win. :THUMBSUP YT

18. Peter Pancho

Media:
    Home Page:
    Old dude, I'm sorry. I forgot about those fly line hole inserter tools. I saw those at the Morning Hatch and those are sooo cool! I wouldn't mind having one, I'm sure they make things alot faster and easier to get it in the fly hole!

19. MacRowdy

MacRowdy Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan

Media:
    Home Page:
    Listen here there Jim,

I ate one bar of delicious MacIntosh Toffee and boy was it good. And I still have the wrapper in my waders. You talking to me Old Man?

When we got back to the car: "Would you like a payday candy bar Jim?"
    Jim: "Hell no! What would I want that for? I got a candy bar in my car and it isn't a payday!"

Again, the discriminating mind of an Old Griz.

MacRowdy

20. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    Orvis makes some hooks that have oversized eyes, and C&F Designs has a threader fly box for guys with poor vision. There are several ways around bad eyesight. I should know.

Rob
    old enough to be in bifocals, not old enought to be an "Old Man".
    ---------
    Genetic pollution damages wild
    stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!