Flies for stillwater

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Chef, Dec 7, 2010.

1. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

I know these aren't "authentic" six-packs but they work. Ask Preston to show you his for a more historically accurate version.

2. Chef

Chef New Member

Awesome Ford. Thank you.

Thanks trout.

3. Preston

Preston Active Member

Karl Haufler's Sixpack is a pretty simple pattern. Basically it's a self-bodied Carey Special tied with yellow-dyed pheasant rump for both body and hackle. I rib mine with copper wire to protect the body.

4. Mike

Mike Active Member

I think that many of the answers given put the cart before the horse. In order to know what flies to tie you have to know what the fish are going to eat and when. For example, callibaetis aren’t active until maybe mid May and later, so if you plan on fishing the basin lakes in March, that ain’t the right fly to have spent all your tying time on.

Brian Chan does an outstanding job of teaching lake entomology. Below are a couple of links to articles he has written for spring time fishing.

For the most part they are about chronies, but they make up 85% , if not more, of a trout’s diet in the spring. Tie flies representing the chronie life cycle in a few sizes and a few colors. For example, bloodworms (larvae stage) in sizes in 18, 16, 14 in colors or red, olive and grey. Then do the same with your favorite pupa pattern and then few cone heads which do a good job representing the pupa as it moves further up the water column. Good starting color choices for pupa are black, olive and grey. Do some of them with red wire ribbing instead of brass or silver. To finish up the life cycle, tie up a few emerges, Lady Carolyn, Raccoons or Griffith’s Gnats in the same sizes and you have chronies covered for the most part. Tie up some leeches in black, brown, olive and a few white. Tie sizes 8, and 12 in those colors. Also tie some olive leeches in size 16 to double up a damsel pupa. If the lakes you plan on fishing have some scuds, it may be good to have some in the box as well. Tie sizes 18 and 14 in olive, brown and grey.

Finally if you want to try some other patterns, Phil Rowley’s “Fly Patterns for Still Water” is a good resource. A Google search will find plenty of online line articles by Phil as well as Brian.

http://www.flyfishersrepublic.com/tactics/fishing/chironomid-tactics/

http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/angling/protalk/chan/iceout/iceout.phtml

http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/angling/protalk/chan/confession.phtml

5. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Scotflycst, you are on sir. Don't think I want to fish it on opening day or the next for that matter, but somewhere after Sunday and before the first week end in May would be dandy. After the first week end in may, it might be tolerable. That is unless you want to take turns of standing on each other's shoulders and cast.

6. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

TP, good looking flies. They are plenty effective for our lake trout both high and low. I take newbys out on our local lakes in spring and summer to teach lake fishing and we usually start with six packs, careys, and buggers. Never had a problem catching the put-n-takes with those flies. Students come off the water asking "How soon can we go again."?

Olive, Ask Santa Claus to bring you that new float tube. I'll be ready when you are and we'll spank a bunch of fish. We'll set out in the middle of the lake CNRing and listen to the guys on the dock cuss at us!

7. troutpocket

The red bead version, which is just a hybrid Olive Willy - Six Pack, was great for me when the damsels were active. Had several stripped down to just the wire ribbing and a few strands of rump hackle.

8. Chef

Chef New Member

thank you mike for your reply. I love Phils book. I have learned tons from it already and gives me a great understanding of what I am tying.

9. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

View attachment 37107 Biggs sheep creek I picked up some of these from frontier in dillon earlier this year, fished them at a few lakes and they were killer. It is a old pattern but worked great.

10. troutpocket

Ha, I picked a few of those up a few years ago from the same shop. They were effective at Clark Canyon and I've stocked them in my box ever since. Montana trout in particular seem to like 'em. Also went on a streak one afternoon on Henry's with them. I've always wondered what they are taken for. A great one to pull out when my go-to stuff isn't producing.

11. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Sort of looks like a cased caddis. I've seen cased caddis in rivers, are they in lakes too? If not, what are those simulating?

12. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Oh yeah...you bet they are in lakes!

[​IMG]

13. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

They worked like mad at Big and Little twin, fished shallow or deep didnt matter. I have no idea what it is supposed to be but it works. Even Mumblina could catch a fish with it. Well maybe not

14. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

LOL, I am all for that. I went to my favorite fly shop and discussed float tubes with them. I have to rethink my ideas on them. Looks like it is going to cost me more money than I had planned. It seems to always be that way. I did finds some feathers and fluff so I can tie some more Olive buggers. Looking forward to it.

15. scottflycst

Caddis are an important staple to our trout during the warmer months. We have a handful of varieties that are found in good number. Probably have to holler at Roger (Taxon) for their proper names sometimes I can't remember the technical info. The little Grannoms (dark gray) are prolific and also a lighter colored version that hatches earlier in the year. Couple of years ago I was fishing (a lake in the woods, search that) and there began a hatch of elk hair caddis, so I tied one on and it was game on! If you'll watch the lakeside vegetation during the summer you'll see them resting and "visiting" with one another. Should have a few in your box. A small Nyerges would work in a pinch.

16. Ed Call

Learning every day. Cased caddis flies in lakes. Big_E needs to tie me up some of them flies. Trout Master is always flipping me shit.

17. scottflycst

Ed, are you phishing?!

18. Ed Call

If I don't get to fish on Friday and Saturday I don't know what the hell I'm going to be doing, but it will be bad and headline news worthy.

19. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Tie some cased caddis flies. Even you should be able to throw them togeather. They look like a mistake.

20. Chef

Chef New Member

Trout:

What material do you think that fly is made of (post number 69)?