Flies to Skate

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Ed Call, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    Okay, saw some wicked cool skaters today and I have been thinking of creating the wake and seeing the take. What are you skating, or what will you be skating when the rivers are about right? Come on, show some pictures, share some patterns, tell a story about the one that destroyed your fly.
  2. slippery_whippet Member

Sedro Woolley, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Water Ouzel, it is a John Hazel classic. Used it on North Umpqua steel most recently :)
    Page 97 of Stetzer's Book: The best 1000.

--SW
  3. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +262 / 2
    I may be way off base here, but if you are talking about the little 4 legged things that skate across lakes...

I use a smallish hook(16ish) tie on some reflective stuff then some black foam in gurgler fashion and some rubber legs that I cut short so they just barely touch the water like a skater. Optionally I put some white hackle on the underside or a red hackle tag.

Panfish love it and ive had one rainbow take one.

If you are talking about something else disregard.
  4. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +674 / 0
    I'm using the floating fool,saw the pattern in a fly magazine last summer. has some unsinkable foam in it so needs no added fly dressing.
  5. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Photos, you are not posting photos!
  6. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +674 / 0
    PM me your address and I'll send you a sample,I'm having trouble finding film for my kodak brownie so photos are not an option now that fotomat is out of business
  7. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +138 / 0
    I skated for the first time last year, and one day at that. Didn't get back till December so I didn't get another chance, but when I fished it, I watched several takes without a hookup.
    This will be the year for sure, ill share the details when it happens :D
    Had I known they could be so effective at inducing a strike, I would have fished them a lot more.

this is a Idlewilde bug, forgot the name, but could care less. Its a good bug.
    Sorry about the fuzzy picture!

-Blake

[IMG]
  8. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +120 / 0
    I tied some of those for one of the fly swaps here .
  9. Loren Jensen Active Member

Sedro-Woolley, Washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Be smart like Scott Howell and skate a Ska-opper.
  10. Eric Tarcha gear whore

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    here you go brian. these guys are sooo sweet.
  11. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Blake, Brian, Eric...nice! Thank you. Buddy of Benny, PM your way! Thank you too. I have wogs and bombers, some others from some books, just found some cool ones at my local shop and want to commit some time to skating flies. Maybe I catch a few, maybe I spend my time fishless standing in flowing water and great scenery. Both work for me!
  12. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +120 / 0
    Ed . My camera batteries are being charged right now , and I`ll have to dig through my fly boxes to find a fly that I bought in Smithers last year . When I locate it ,I`ll snap a pic and post it . I don`t recall the name of the fly , but it skates like nothing else I`ve ever seen .
  13. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Sweet. Thanks Brian.
  14. ralfish Active Member

B.C.
    Ratings: +34 / 0
    Ed, the ones I sent you, riffle hitch behind the head with line exiting straight down...
  15. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ralf, I've got them in my skating box for sure! I even have a couple of knots that should work!
  16. fshnazn Member

Beavercreek OR
    I determined to skate up steelhead last fall and had some success with a tube skater that was an amalgamation of different flies that had traditional hair and unsinkable foam. I figured that in order for me to keep skating, I had to have a lot of confidence in the fly to float, wake, be visible in low light/bright light, and look good after multiple casts.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    The tube has holes in the side to mimic the idea of the "riffle hitch"

I still remember the first steel on this fly...3/4ths through the run and I see a riseform just below this fly..."Dumb trout", I think to myself, "well, it could be a steelhead...maybe deserves another swing." Snap C, sweep, D loop, line straightens, rod tip high, fly waking....same spot... fly dancing in the current...KERSPLOOSH! Like a toilet bowl flushing! Holy.....! Trembling hands.
    Guess what I'll be doing this summer...

Here's the precursor to the above fly waking...it fished well enough, but was all hair and just got waterlogged enough for me to lose confidence in it.
    [IMG]

Dreaming of spectacular surface takes,
    Adrian
  17. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Adrian, that is an interesting combo into one cool looking fly. Thanks. Any issues with the side holes in the tube?
  18. ralfish Active Member

B.C.
    On waking tubes, I no longer use side holes, just one at the bottom about 1/8 down from the top. Works for the waters I fish...but I do prefer tying on hooks. The waking tubes come out on pressured water to deal with short takes. Though I prefer off set octopus hooks rigged point up..
  19. jcalderon Member

A JUNGLE NEAR YOU
    Just food for thought. I have seen tube skaters like the ones shown above, with a october caddis like trailer hook. Best of both worlds. Skater up on a tube, with a small octo caddis set 2 or 3 inches back used just as you would a normal hook on a tube fly
  20. ralfish Active Member

B.C.
    View attachment 42594

While not ''skaters'' but rather ''wakers'' and kind of mangled, you get the idea. Some Granthams, (forward extended body with down eye hooks, good in slow water, no hitch required.) Some tubes, some Lambroughtons, some lemires caddis, a geek,and a few of my own patterns.

just keep clicking on the pic to see a high res pic