Fling and Swing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by miyawaki, Aug 15, 2013.

1. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +838 / 1
    Did the "Fling and Swing" thing yesterday with Mike Sturza, chief guide and owner of Lost Creek Fly Shop in Onalaska, WA. This was a nutty, crazy, arm-wearying trip!

We hit Mayfield Lake for Tiger Muskies at 8AM armed with 10wt rods, intermediate lines and 8" flies. We had at least 20 follows, looks, and turnaways. And I thought permit were persnickety! Mike finally hooked one of about 40" but lost it as he was derricking it out of the weeds. I have never seen fish follow a fly, stop at the boat, peer at the fly, roll to the side and look up at us, then give us the fin and drop down out of sight!

By 3PM, we were swinging flies on speyrods to steelhead on the nearby Cowlitz River - from fish you can see that don't eat to fish you can't see that eat! I hooked and lost one in the first run and landed an 8lb "recycled" and tagged brat. Say what you will about hatchery steelhead, this fish put on a wild high-flying aerial show before heading to the smoker

Leland. photo-11.JPG photo-12.JPG photo-10.JPG lelandflies-005.jpg
    Steve Knapp and JesseC like this.
  2. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,653 / 0
    Nice upside down picture. I had to turn my lap top upside down to view. Just glad it wasn't our PC.
    Kcahill and miyawaki like this.
  3. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +960 / 1
    I think the Cowlitz is known as "down under" to the northern WA contingent. A very nice outing.
  4. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +838 / 1
    It looks like I caught it in Australia

Leland.
  5. aplTyler Inept Steelheader

The Evergreen State
    Ratings: +87 / 9
    Sounds like a great day. Mike is a fantastic guide and real great guy too. I need to get out and fish with him again soon.
  6. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +410 / 0
    It's Cowtits Bill.
  7. Builder Member

Missoula, Montana
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    Back in the day , with gear on Lake St Clair...."figure 8" the Musky at the boat Leland. Probably tough with the fly rod.