flip fins vs force fins throwdown

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Norm Frechette, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +74 / 0
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    Norm, I have both styles. I use both. I prefer the Omega Navigators. Simple answer. Want more detail on why let me know. Ed
  3. colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

gig harbor, washington
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    so you can look good walking down to the water and not fall on your butt? :D
  4. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +221 / 1
    Quack, Quack!
    Walk like an Egyptian:rofl:
    Forcefin fan.
  5. doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    Either that or a tribute to Michael and Moonwalk to the water. :thumb:
  6. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Bunch of wise "quacking" crack heads. How many board members have BOTH? How many have tried BOTH? You guys Quack me up! I'm just trying to answer a dude's simple question...
  7. Susanne Force Fin

Santa Barbara, CA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    The link you have provided for Force Fin products is incorrect. May we provide a corrected link?

http://www.forcefin.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=FT

and

http://www.forcefin.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=FFOR52

I am sure there are many Force Fin wearing tubers her able to give their experiences, but I can comment from a design perspective:

A flat fin, like that for which comparison is requested here, and just about every other fin available, since we prefer to discuss other products with generality, forces water in a direction that bobs a tuber up-and-down, as much as in their direction of travel. A flat fin also pulls as much water back against your direction of travel, as in the direction you kick. You are pushing and pulling water for and against you with each kick. That wastes energy, so you fatigue faster, which translate into less time in the water.

Force Fin products are designed for optimal directional control of the water, and maximizing the efficiency of the use of your leg muscles when in the water. When you kick your leg forward water is pushed in that direction, the blade then rebounds, and water is directed through the split V at a very fast rate, in that same direction. That rebound allows your leg muscles to rest and relax when there is less strength. that is when you pull your leg back toward you. Not only do you get more propulsion from the Force Fin, but with little or no work. That means more time in the water, and maximizing your time and enjoyment in the water is what it is all about.
  8. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +221 / 1
    :thumb:Bravo Susanne!
  9. wolverine Member

Everett, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Force Fins "feet" down for me. The other fins may be easier to walk in but thats the only advantage that I can see. After I switched to the Force Fins I stopped getting leg cramps after a days hard fishing.
  10. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    Force Fins
  11. fshnazn Member

Beavercreek OR
    Force Fins are awesome.
  12. herl Member

the other washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I haven't ever used force fins, but now you've got me interested.. (great, all I need is something else to buy..)

I am currently using US Diver's 'Rocket fins' and the are worlds better than my Caddis over-the-boot deals. But I guess that's neither here nor there with regards to the original question - I just like to run my mouth sometimes..
  13. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Force fins, all day.

Force fins are awesome. Pricey, but once you buy them, you'll wonder how you ever got along/around without them.

The Omegas are good fins, and you can walk around in them. I buy fins so I can kick around in them, not walk in them. I rarely need to walk in fins.

Force fins. But, I repeat myself. :thumb:
  14. gbeeman Active Member

Kennewick WA
    Ratings: +35 / 0
    Force Fins! If I need to walk I take them off.:thumb:

GBeeman
  15. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    Love Ed's post.

Force Fins--I kick around all day and don't even begin to tire.
  16. Zene New Member

Vancouver, WA
    gbeeman/all ...Me vote is for Force: lighter, faster, etc. If I try to walk in them I fall down. So now you tell me. Zene
  17. mojo Member

Yewtah
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Fast forward 1 1/2 years later.
    Are the conclusions still the same?
    Do all you who have Force Fins and have answered the earlier posts, tried the Omega Flip Fins?
    Did you change your minds?
    I'm like Mumbles. Sold the Force, kept the Flip.
  18. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Mojo, you are in strange company! I recently told SteveO2 that I preferred my Omega Navigators over the Force Fins, but I still had both and from time to time try the force fins. I think the force fins are fine for float tubing, but in the solo craft I just feel like I have better power and control with the flip fins from Omega. I also told him that if you asked 100 people, 2 would vote Flip Fins and the other 98 would go with Force Fins. I guess I know who the other guy is now! My conclusion is still the same.
  19. Chris Banta Member

ferndale
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    mojo, i got my flip fins yesterday and the first thing i did while checking them out was pinched my fingers in them. i already have force fins and love them, so i cant wait to try the flip fins . i bought the flip fins to use in the river on my scadden assault. i have yet to use the flip fins , but the first thing i noticed was how much easier the flip fins are to get on and off compared to the force fins.
  20. mojo Member

Yewtah
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    You'll find that they're pretty stiff to the first couple times you take them out. If they're up in the walking position and you get in the water it's a bitch at first to kick them down. They'll break in and get easier. I just launch and put them on in the kicking position. I have size 13 boots and with the Force Fins there wasn't a whole lot of rubber fin in the water compared to the Flips. In my kickboats I use only breathable bootfoot hippers. Easy to get the Flips on. The Force Fins I had were adjustable and a PIA to get on. I had to put them on before I launched.
    The Flips are different than the Force Fins. They're longer and you find yourself kicking a little different than with the Force. I find myself going faster with the Omega's. I think they're quite a bit lighter too (comparing them to the adjustable Force Fins)