flip fins vs force fins throwdown

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Norm Frechette, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Media:
    Mojo mentioned his size 13 boots, and how it didn't leave a whole lot of rubber fin in the water with the Force Fins compared to the Flips. Well, size 15 booties here with non-adjustable Force Fins. I don't know if having your toes extend-out to the logo affects Force Fin performance. It's a possiblilty I guess. How would one know? Can't change the length of your feet to test it!

I have never tried both types of fins to compare. So, I'll keep an open mind on the subject.

Having more power with those longer Flip fins might be nice in high water flows. In skinny water, I think the shorter upturned Force Fins might save one from sticking a fin though. At least for me, a relative rookie in moving water with my WaterMaster.

Mumbles has a pair of each! Hmmm. Perhaps that's the ticket.:thumb:

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    If your inclined, we can work that out.

3. salmotrutta77

salmotrutta77 New Member

Force Fins , hands down!

4. sroffe

sroffe Active Member

I've never tried the Omega flip fins. I never had a need too, since I've been so satisfied with my Force Fins. They've been all I really needed, so why fix something that isn't broken?

5. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

I have both, and use both. Love BOTH.

6. Ed Call

Media:
    Blue, you are one of a small number, I think. Everybody loves their force fins more than life itself but can't say they've tried the flip fins. I tried non adjustable force fins and they killed my feet. I then got the adjustables, and found them heavy and adequate for propulsion. They were tough to get just right over my boots. When I saw a deal for the flip fins I bought them figuring at worse one of the sets of fins would be on the market. Let's just say that I sold the regular force fins. I have kept adjustable force fins because they are okay for float tube use. For solo boating my preference is the omega navigator flip fins. Most everyone else's mileage may vary and I could be one of a small number on the other side. Glad that you and Mojo like them, makes me feel a tad bit less crazy, or that you two are crazy too!

7. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Mojo hated having to re adjust the FF for Bootfoot Hippers then for Wading Boots. It is a pain. The Omega's are like slippers. Stick foot in, pull heel strap up, tighten, good to go. But I prefer the FF for shallower water and although they are heavy, they are easier on my ankles. I like the Omega's on my X5 so I can stand when want. I can stand in the FF but the nubbies on the bottom and that aluminum deck get slippery.

8. andy.larkin

andy.larkin New Member

I use Force Fin's adjustable fins and absolutely love them fishing from an Outcast Fat Cat DLX float tube. I had originally been given a pair of Outcast's "Boot Fins" which were absolute crap. Then upgraded to a pair of Pro-tec's force fin knock offs which weighed about 2.5 times as much as the Force's and blew up on the 10th use, which got me into a pair of Force Fins and I haven't looked back since.

Now, when it comes to walking around in any fins when submerged, it is usually a guarantee'd trip to the 'look like an idiot' show... at least for me (haha..).

I'm upgrading to a Watermaster Kodiak, and am looking forward to using the fins in stillwater scenarios, but will use them more for working shorelines/fighting the wind while fishing and will rely on the oar system for actual 'moving around', but just couldn't imagine wearing the fins (or any fins) in a moving River with the Water master.

9. Ed Call

Media:
    Andy, last summer a few friends and I fished stretches of the Yakima and rarely touched the oars after launching. Fins will work well in many moving waters, especially those you have learned well. I know that forum member Rick Todd uses his fins almost all the time in moving water. Enjoy the boat!

10. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Media:
    For stillwater I use (original) Force Fins I've had for at least 11 years over pretty substantial Seasoft Stealth neoprene dive boots

For rivers I use the Water Master boot fins which are very easy to get on and off of my wading boots. They are real similar to my Outcast boot fins but my WM fins have studded felt soles under the footbeds so I put the nice Outcast tethers on the WM fins. They steer and slow me pretty effectively in easy water so I don't have to use oars. Unfortunately I don't think the WM strap attachment to the fins will hold up as well as the Outcast. Why don't you like the Outcast fins?

11. mojo

mojo Member

But have YOU tried the Omega Flip Fins? That's part of the question.

12. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I have tried to read each and every reply here. When I first tried the Omega's, I was ready to sell them and go back to my Force Fins. There is a lot of fin there. I tried kicking in the same manner I have been for years. Like with the Outcast fins, a scoop kick. Well, over kill with the Omega's. Seriously, do not try to power the Omegas the same you would with FF. I also found I can move on both the up and down stroke...can't do that with the FF. Flutter for feet up and down like a swimmer. You will move with less effort. The Force Fins work GREAT when there are 3 to 4 foot swells or the sky is lighting up, and you are frantically trying to get off the water.
    I DO have BOTH and love them both. Now, if I was only allowed ONE pair.....it would be with out a doubt, the Omega's, because they can d so much more with little effort.

Chris, I am betting you will not fall in love with the flips right out of the gate, but give then a few trips...then try the FF again.