Float anchor system

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Roger Stephens, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Roger Stephens Active Member

Ratings: +277 / 0
    Over the last couple of weeks I have hooked and lost several large adult salmon while anchored at locations with strong tidal currents. Last Thursday I hooked a 6-7 lb. coho along the edge of strong current and played it for several minutes while getting it on the reel and "supposedly" under control. I was starting to think about pulling the anchor plus how great the fish would taste after smoking it. About then it came "unbuttoned". It is difficult to pull the anchor when alone and takes a minute or so.

A friend who is a gear fisherman suggested that I tie a float(boat fender) to the end of the anchor line. I quess that is a pretty common practice with the gear fishermen on the Columbia River. When a large fish is hooked and you need to drift or chase the fish down, it is only necessary to pop the anchor line out of the jam cleat and "chuck" the float and line over the side of the boat. It should only take a second or two. After you land the fish(more than wishful thinking now with the odds in your favor), you can "smugly" retrieve the float and anchor!

It seems too simple to an "old geezer" who is a slow learner but then you can always learn a lot of "tricks" from those gear guys.
    Am anxious to try out the system on the next "willing" coho or blackmouth!

Roger
  2. speyfisher Active Member

State of Jefferson U.S.A.
    Ratings: +128 / 2
    Dig around and maybe you can find some references to how the old timers used to rig their anchors. Fly fishing the estuaries/river mouths from prams. Shooting heads, long casts, stripping flies. Bill Schadd, circa,,,I don't know,,,fiberglass rods. They used to line their boats up across the river. Hook a fish, quick release the anchor, drift down out the hog line to play & land the fish. Then, when it was all over, come back & hook up to their anchor without even losing their place in line.
  3. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    I think Roger is one of the "Old Timers" :)

Just curous Roger, what kind of anchor do you use?

I've hungup anchors on the bottom before and tied a buyo/float on to the end of the line then left it to deal with later as I wanted to keep fishing and not spend prime time during a good tide monkeying around with trying to get it un-stuck. It worked fine, so I'm sure the same would be true in the sound. That is a different system then what folks use in the columbia river though. They have a whole pulley system setup.
  4. Bob Triggs STOP KILLING WILD STEELHEAD!!!!

Ratings: +526 / 0
    I have used a system like that on rivers, we called it a "trip" or "release anchor". Some things to watch for are to use a long enough line or anchor "rode", so that you dont pull the bow down into the water in the current while anchored. Always use floating bright yellow poly anchor line. Use a big enough and bright enough float so that people operating boats can see it. Be careful where you drop it so that you dont obstruct a navigable channel or create a hazard. Nice way to maintain a location on a rip or seam of current, and still get a drift to play fish etc. I have seen Sturgeon fisherman fish this way and I have used it for striped bass and salmon and trout. Never leave this thing unattended, like leaving the area for the night and coming back the next day.
  5. Roger Stephens Active Member

Ratings: +277 / 0
    ibn:

You got it right since I will truely be a "old timer" geezer when I turn 70 this Fall:thumb:. I can hardly wait:cool: .

I use a pretty heavy anchor(3-prong 18 lb. river anchor) for my 14 1/2 ft. boat(approx. 550 lb. for boat and 25hp motor). If it won't hold my boat, the current is probably too strong to "hold" fish.

I use a Dierks drift boat anchor system(one piece: roller and jam cleat[replaceable]) mounted about 1 to 1 1/2 ft. out over the front of the bow. A friend of mine built the extender which the anchor system is mounted on. The anchor hangs far enough in front of the bow so that it will not bang the boat even if there is some chop when motoring from spot to spot. Leaving the anchor hanging off the front saves always having to "crawl" foreward and bring the anchor into the boat. The anchor can be pulled(snuggged up to the roller) even from the back of the boat. Dropping the anchor is only a matter of popping the anchor line out of the jam cleat. It works like a "charm"!

Roger
  6. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    the columbia river folks use a float tied off to the rode going directly to the anchor. from that float a drop back line is attached with another float and that is the line you tie your boat off too. the issue on that river is an anchor directly snubbed to the boat. the caution is the current actually pulling the bow of the boat under, hence the float system. not a bad idea even if you are not dealing with the hydralics of that river.