Float tube advice

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by timb, Nov 7, 2013.

1. timb

timb New Member

Anyone out there have advice for choosing a float tube for some remote pond fishing? I stumbled across some places this year that would be ideal for fishing from a tube. Portability is essential. I've seen guys hiking with their tube already inflated, but that won't be possible with the hike in/out of these ponds. It would be easier to portage my solo canoe than carry an inflated tube on my back, but that would be tough as well. The tube likely wouldn't survive the hike inflated, so I'll have to carry a pump and inflate onsite. I'd likely do this just a couple times/year so equipment doesn't necessarily be bombproof so much as reliable. Anyone have experience with doing something like this? Best way to pack & carry? Any pearls of wisdom?

2. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

You could start by looking into the Bucks Bag High Adventure model which is supposed to be backpack friendly. It weighs 10# and the addition of a K-pump should make a fairly compact package. I know what you mean about hiking with an inflated tube. Some places you have to walk sideways and you always wonder when a sharp stick is going to put you out of business completely.

Ive

3. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Definitely a roundie for something like that. Lightest weight, compact, highly maneuverable in a small pond and least expensive, especially for only once or twice a year. The thing to figure out will be your pump. A mini k-pump is great until you're filling up from empty...your arm will fall off. Whatever you go with, test the pump ahead of time so you know what you're signing up for.

I also like a good garden tool for hikes like that...nice being able to cut stuff.

4. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

The Outcast Trinity has worked well for me on day hikes and is fairly light at 7 Lbs. They came with the backpack that carried the pump, fins and tube as well as space for more day hiking related paraphernalia. It's really nice for this but I see now that it's sold seperately and isn't part of the package now;
    http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/products/?id=1

5. timb

timb New Member

The Trinity sounds & looks perfect, but ouch it's $400. Orvis carries it as a package with fins & pump. I'll put it on the list but keep looking.

This is all great info. Much appreciated.

6. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

7. JMitchell

JMitchell Active Member

I have used the Caddis U boat for forever for stuff like this. I like it better than the doughnut style as you have the crossbar and open feeling up front. Very light, under 10# i believe, packs down well or can be lashed to outside of pack de-flated. I sometimes don't even carry a pump and just use the lungs to pumpup. You can pick one up on ebay for 50$.

8. thesankers

thesankers Member

I have a Buck's bag mustang which weighs seven pounds. This tube can be blown up by mouth to fishable levels- not to tight but plenty adequate. It is a u shaped tube. Nice backpacking tube.

9. +1 on the Outcast Trinity. Also +1 on _SHig's lightweight float tube. I have both. You have to be more careful with _SHig's but its hard to beat the weight savings

10. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

The old Creek Company U-boat can be had for under $100 new and sometimes you can find them used for much less. They
    have been around for a long time, I've had mine for many years and have never had a problem. I've carried it both deflated and inflated, I think they're around 6lbs.

tonemike likes this.
  11. TB Wannabe

TB Wannabe New Member

Was'nt there a guy on here a few months ago that documented making his own very light, packable float tube? I"m pretty sure it was here.

12. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Check the main forum. It had a recent post on Sunday..

13. scr

scr New Member

Creek Co. was having a sale a week ago, their U-boat was $69. You should sign up on their website for email alerts, they have great sales a couple of times each year.

14. Caveman

Caveman Member

Don't get one…. They suck

Olive bugger likes this.
  15. Dipnet

Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

16. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

Are you referring to the U boat? I have an older one that I use for this purpose, wouldn't be my everyday boat but light
    and so far keeps my neck above water. I wouldn't doubt that they have made newer models cheaper and inferior as most
    everything else these days.

17. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

I

I was way less than impressed with the one I got from Cabela's a few years ago. It was on sale but even at that I returned it.

Took them off my shopping list.

If you can stand the price, go with Outcast or Bucks Bags.