Float tube anchor

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Nick Clayton, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Noworms New Member

Abbotsford, BC
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    An Idea my fishing buddy uses and I have adapted it as it works well. Using a chalk line reel from Lowes I strip out the chalk line and replace it with about 30ft of 80lb mono and tie a 4-5lb ball weight to it. I got so much other stuff already hanging off the tube 30+ ft of rope gets in the way. This is very convenient to roll up quickly and does not take too much space when not in use.
    Nick Clayton likes this.
  2. ken2cross Member

Lake Stevens, Wa
    Ratings: +13 / 0
  3. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,293 / 4
    After some trial and error I've come to the conclusion that an anchor is a vital part of fishing out of a tube... at least for me. I ended up going with 50' of cheap cord from Walmart, and a 5 lb women's barbell thing. Super cheap, easy to stash behind the seat, and holds me fairly straight no problem. I just use my fins to make slight adjustments.
  4. Birdsnest Member

Ratings: +8 / 0
    I have found that when using one anchor I swing around in the wind too much. I bought a "float tube anchor" with collapsible flukes from Cabellas and it was pretty much worthless. After a bit of trial and error I have found what works best for me is two 5 # downrigger balls, each one with its own rope. I tie one on each side of my float tube - no drift, no swing. Just make sure that when you are packing the tube into where you are going to fish, carry the weights separately (not in one of the tube pockets) - it's tough on the seams.
  5. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +209 / 0
    I was down at Outdoor Emporium and saw polypro crab bait bags for $2.99. They would work great as an anchor after you put rocks in the bag.

I left one at Lenice right off the put in.

MB