Float tube boots

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jon Q, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Jon Q

Jon Q Member

Having a hard time finding anything acceptable in the stores so I will have to go on line. Does anyone have a brand recommendation for neoprene boots to be used with a float tube? Also, I am size 10 should I go with size 11? Thanks in advance

2. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    Harvey's (Kent, WA) are best I've found. Well worth the 50 bucks. Kmann was carrying them, now I'd contact Harvey's directly and ask how best to find them. Hint: They aren't readily found on the website but these guys are great at responding if you inquire about their fly fishing/float tube boots.

3. Jerry Metcalf

Jerry Metcalf FishyJere

I have been using Glacier Glove for a lot of years. Just Google them. The last pair I got was around $35 and they last a long time.

Jerry

4. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Media:
    I have been using the aqua-socks from Target or Walmart for about 10 years. $4.99 each. I can afford a second pair for a back-up and have only gone through about 3 in all that time. Works for me.

5. Couleeflyfisher

Couleeflyfisher Member

I second the aqua-socks, I used to buy booties, etc., however these inexpensive aqua socks for $4-5 bucks work great and are a lot easier to get on or off if you're using stocking foot waders.

6. Preston

Preston Active Member

Chota makes a nice pair. The sole is firm enough to walk at least short distances and has felt under the heel and ball of the foot. In addition to having a side-zip closure, they have a velcro adjustable strap-harness. I've had a pair for five or six years and they've held up well. I'd recommend buying a full size larger than street-shoe size.

7. P.Dieter

P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Media:
    Home Page:
    You don't have a location on your profile (pet peeve) but this is a great place for dive gear in Seattle. New fins for my pontoon were my last purchase
    http://discountdivers.com/

8. Matthew Kaphan

Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Media:
    I use dive fins with no booties, and just use a cheap pair of water sandals to wear when I need to walk on shore.

M

9. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
  10. PT

PT Physhicist

Visit a dive shop and you'll find what you're looking for.

11. fishunt

fishunt Member

12. Jay Burman

Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

Media:
    I bought a pair of Hodgemen wading shoes. They were cheap (about $49.00) and they are better than the neoprene booties that they replaced. They fit into the fins just as well and they are much more comfortable. They are also much easier to walk in without the pain of stepping on small rocks. I wear a size 9 shoe and a size 9 boot fits just fine. I've had then for at least 5 years. They definately hold up.

13. LJ

LJ Low Tech Lo

I use a cheap pair of oversized faux "crocs' to walk to and from the water and just wear my fins without a bootie. If you are looking for something that's more durable than a neoprene bootie but not as heavy as a boot, try places that sell kayaking gear. They usually sell lightweight booties with pretty durable bottoms. I like the selections better than the flyfishing booties I've seen.

14. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    What I wear inside my fins depends on where I'm fishing. If it's at a drive-to or short hike-in lake, I like my lightweight Simms Headwaters felt-soled boots. If I'm on a backpacking trip where eliminating every extra ounce is essential, I walk very carefully in my stockingfoot wader feet before slipping on lightweight fins like these: http://creekcompany.com/product.php?productid=16137&cat=250&page=1

K

15. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    I only use one pair of boots for everything anymore. Some chota boots with the the bungie laces. I have wide ass feet, and no neoprenes ever fit comfortably. Plus, and this is after decades of fishing, sometimes I can barely muster the energy to get to the water! Setting up for fishing needs to be as quick and easy as possible! Especially if I'm using a watermaster or something like that, with the pumping, and the schlepping... OY!

With the wide chotas it doesn't matter if my wader feet are wet, dry, if it's hot, or cold. They slide on easily, tighten up in seconds. Cost about $90 bucks I think. Plus for extended kicking having a rigid sole is the shiznit!

16. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Media:
    Harveys is GOOD STUFF. I'm a size 11 and use Seasoft Stealth dive boots. They are 6mm with Titanium foil sandwiched in that keep the feet warm. Rigid soles give plenty of support for carrying your stuff to and from the water and avoiding painful foot cramps from finning. The 3mm Seasoft Sunray boot also has the rigid sole and might be a better option for use with waders. However, if you are going to use dive booties be sure to take your waders with you to try them on. I had to get the size XXL Stealth to use with waders. They can be too tight if wearing thick socks.

I've used a 3mm Orvis rubber soled bootie when backpacking with a tube. They were lightweight but unfortunately did not provide much support. My Korkers with the Kling-On ruber soles work great for hiking with a tube or my WM Kodiak. I bring along a pair of Patagonia vapor barrier (from my winter climbing days) or neoprene socks that help keep my feet dry and as insurance against blisters from hiking in wet boots.

17. Sterling silver

Sterling silver Member

I found a pair of Dragonfly brand booties in Abbotsford, not sure of availability in Washington.
    The sizing is Med, Large, XLarge. The large is very comfortable on my size 11 wader foot. I
    heartily endorse them as a good product.