float tube?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by colton rogers, Jun 11, 2009.

1. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

i want to buy a float tube.
    but i havent been in one and i don't understand how i even stay in them?
    i would like opinions on round/v/u/pontoon style float tubes. or just companies in general. thanks alot, today i found out they would be nice to have instead of wading from shore!

2. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Colton,
    Just my opinion here. The round tubes are great for starter tubes. You stay in the round tubes via a material strap between your legs. The down side to the round tubes is how much of your body is in the water. You won't set any speed records, but they are very functional. I started with a round tube and it worked fine. They are relatively inexpensive as well and they get you on the water, which is your main goal..

If you enjoying tubing and start out with a round tube, you'll likely want to upgrade to something that gets you up out of the water further and is easier to kick.
    A nice boat to accomplish this would be something like a Fish Cat 4 or some other brands that are similar.
    http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/products/default.aspx?id=22
    Think of sitting in a chair with only from your knees down being in the water. Being higher in the water makes casting easier. They are easier to kick due to their shape and having less of your body in the water.

If cost isn't a factor, something like the Fish Cat 4 would be a great starting tube. Both types will do what you are looking for.

You'll also need a pair of fins. Check out Craigslist. There are some inexpensive tubes for sale on there.
    I hope this helps.
    Good luck

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Colton, my first float tube was a recent purchase of a fishcat 4. I agree with stonefish in that it is just like sitting in a chair. Awesome comfort, floatation, storage, access and maneuverability. Mine is the newer version with the inflatable main tubes (one per side), inflatable seat bottom and inflatable seat back. That is four separate air bladders so it would take a freaking catastrophe of epic proportions for you to sink that sucker. I've never used one of the belly boats but I was aprehensive about the between the leg strap and "diaper" like appearance. I'm glad I got my fishcat 4.

4. Michael Thompson

Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

Home Page:
    iagree have never used a round tube, but isnt it harder to get in and out with your flippers on? or is there a different way?

i have a caddis U style tube and its like sitting in a easy chair, if i could only rig a back massager into it i would have it made. its pretty affordable and it can take a beating. the only down side is its a big muther and has to be totally deflated for any hike over a mile because of the cumbersome factor.

5. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Yes. Open-front tubes are the way to go. I have many hilarious pix of round-tube "maiden voyage entries" from way back in the day. Open tubes you can launch just about anywhere .. . wade out knee-deep, sit down, don fins, hook apron, and away you go. The angle of the tube (mine naturally tilt a bit to the rear when I'm in them, but it could be the lead in my butt) and the casting apron keep you in the tube/v-boat/u-boat. I prefer lower-profile tubes . . . taller ones are easier to propel, but can be a bear in the wind. Your motor gets tired in any of them until you've been out a few times & have conditioned your legs, but they're a great way to fish when you don't need to traverse vast distances. I've had many adventures in tubes over the last 40-years from rough water to irate beavers to slow leaks, but none were remotely life-threatening . . . these are very stable craft for use on STILL WATER. In flowing water, a person could get in real trouble & quickly! Tubes are easier to transport than 'toons, but each has their distinct advantages. I'm still looking for the used 'toon/pram I want. Being immersed in cold water & the motion of finning has done wonders for my sore back on occasion . . . I'm also still looking for a doctor who will place me on a stress-related full disability and who will prescribe a relaxing regimen of fly tying/fishing and theraputic float-tubing for life . . .

6. Mark Yoshida

Mark Yoshida Active Member

Its a unique type of dance to get in a float tube with fins on. When I weighed 65 lbs more, it was impossible to get in neoprene waders, bend over to tie boots on, get in tube then try to put on fins and look graceful. Of course after getting in you remember that you forgot to pee before launching.:beathead:
    If I had to do it over I would get me a v or u boat. I have a couple belly boats but never used them until this last weekend when my truck overheated and I had to borrow a car to go fishing and not bring my pontoon. Humm... need to look into a V-boat.

7. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Simply put-don't use a round tube even if it is given to you. They were an important step in the evolution of fly fishing lakes but like the flat-head reciprocating engine, their time has passed. Be safe, get a V-tube and stay warmer, move faster, be more comfortable, cast farther and keep your elbows out of the water.

Ive

8. theworm

theworm Member

Media:
    If you are going to hike with it a lot, consider getting a light-weight U-shape tube. If you are going to use your tube on most lowland lakes get a v-style.

I agree, the donut style tube is pretty old school and not worth the trouble anymore. But hey....if it is free and that is all you got.

9. Krystoff

Krystoff Member

I have a donut style float tube and believe me I have been checking the classifieds for a fish cat 4, togiak, or a kennebec. Someone out there has to have one for me!

However, in the interim, my browning tube has got me out on the water and I have gotten quite a few fish that I know I wouldn't have had without it. I would rather be out on the water than not.

If you do get a round tube, here are some thoughts.

Do not try to get INTO a round tube, always slip the tube on over your head after you get your flippers on. Getting out isn't too hard even with flippers on.

Be careful with anything that goes on over your waders such as a fishing vest. You do sit really low in the water and they can easily get wet. I have to hike up my fishing vest so it doesn't get soaked.

If the price is right, get a round tube. If you have the money, get either a U or a V style tube.

10. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    I've had my Outcast Fishcat for over
    10 years and it was one of the best purchases
    I've made when it comes to equipment. I can
    carry two rods, lots of gear, a cooler behind
    the seat, drink holders....yea it's dirty as hell
    but its like my favorite fishing hat. When I have
    to get a new one it will be a Super Fatcat.

David

11. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

thanks u guys! your input really helps:D

12. Michael Thompson

Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

Home Page:
    Do not try to get INTO a round tube, always slip the tube on over your head after you get your flippers on. Getting out isn't too hard even with flippers on.

hopefully im not the only one who slapped the side of their head and screamed "why didnt i think of that!" after reading the above statement.

what i dont think alot of people realize about the relationship between pee breaks and floattubing is that the colder the water is the more your body constricts blood vessels and internal organs, making the need to urinate more frequent.

13. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    DONUTS are soooooo last year:rofl:
    Seriously...why would anyone want to do that to themselves.
    I went from a Caddis to a SFC and NEVER LOOKED BACK!!!!

I would say that NEWBIES feel more comfortable in a BIGGER tube. I now have the Freestyle H3 by NFO and in my opinion, nothing comes close. USA made, URETHANE, tons of "D" rings, BIG POCKETS that double as ice chest. More money? yes, but I wouldn't use a budget parachute.:thumb:

14. Analysis Paralysis

Analysis Paralysis Member

I own a Fishcat 4 and love it. A buddy of mine just picked up a Creek Company ODC420, and it is basically an exact copy of the fishcat 4 with a few improvements, a lifetime warranty, and it's about $40.00 less. So if I had to go buy another one today, it would probably be the ODC420. (The jerk got it for $75.00 on clearance, brand new!)

I also wouldn't discount the U-boat (Creek Company). I just picked up the super combo for my wife, and while you will be sitting in the water a bit more, the back-support can't be beat (which is what I wish the Fishcat had more of). I bought it for her, but it makes a great pack-in tube as well (shhh, don't tell her). Just my two cents...

15. rattlesnakeflyguy

rattlesnakeflyguy Harrison

I'd have to agree with AP. The 420 rocked at $119 at Joe's last year. The FC4 Deluxe is great for pros and starters...I still have my FC4D and love it. Friends have the ODC and love it too. The H3 is amazing. Just don't doughnut it :) Float on!

iagree

16. SlipperyTrout

SlipperyTrout New Member

The other week, in my pontoon boat, I just brought a nice trout to hand, turned around to cast, and a dang snake was in the water, real close, headed my way. It wasn't very big, but it curled up with it's tail in the air a little, let out a hiss that curled my hair, and with my not so perfect eyesight, and vivid imagination, I thought it was a rattler. It wasn't, but if it was, and had I been in my float tube, my 2 options that my pontoon boat offered wouldn't have been available. Option 1, row like hell. Option 2, whack it with the oar. Since it wasn't a rattler, I let it hitch a ride back to shore in one of the forward pockets.

Another time, in my float tube, one of my fins came off. I didn't lose it, but I gave up getting it back on in the middle of the lake. It took a real long time getting back to shore with one fin, with me the whole time praying the other fin don't fall off, or the wind don't come up, or both. Again, more options in a pontoon boat, including just putting the fin back on.

I guess my point is, a pontoon boat may be more trouble to haul around, but when things unexpectedly go wrong on the water, a pontoon boat can keep you out of trouble a lot better than a float tube. Just sayin'.

17. Luke Davis

Luke Davis Member

I just got a Creek Company ODC 420 tube for around $150 bucks. Definitely a great tube for the money and its worked awesome so far.

Two seperate bladders, which blow up super fast,and a seat cushion that sits you high out of the water, so it is a very comfortable

18. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    Real men use roundboats. Modern designs are for the other 95 percent.

19. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    The newer float tubes with the chair style seating are pretty safe until you scootch to the end of the seat, pull your waders down and try to take a pee. Don't try it...trust me.

20. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I've had a Buck's Bag tube for years. It had a secondary tube on the back for a backrest. I can't imagine using a U-boat even though there may be some advantages. The disadvantages are that they sit higher and are more prone to the wind and if you poke a hole in your tube you may have to buy new baldders. I, on the other hand, just replaced the 20" truck tube for a song. The first tube lasted more than 20 years. I don't use it much now because I have a pontoon boat but there are times when I get out the neoprene waders, fins, and tube and head for a lake. It's all in what you are accustomed to.