float tube?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by colton rogers, Jun 11, 2009.

1. What I never got accustomed to was that delicate dance one does wearing fins when trying to enter the original 0-tube designs. It's not for nothing that they're referred to as the 'donuts of death'.

K

2. Using Roundies:
    I usually step in on land, pull the tube up like my britches, then walk out (or crawl in if "pondfishing"). Not as easy from the water but I still find it's not bad until you're 2.5+ feet deep. That said, type of tube and fins, plus your size and phys condition will factor in. I'm tall/skinny and I know that makes a big difference. Besides, most donuts are only rated for 225 or so. They work great if you're smaller and in decent shape...highly maneuverable in the water and great on the trail, plus easiest of all to transport/store. On the other hand, not an option for bigger boys and a nightmare for most seniors. Casting: round, v, u, toon...it's all the same: If difficult it's not your boat.

3. My tube has a quickfast buckle in it You can undo that and slip the tube over you head but i've never needed to do that. I just get in at water's edge by carefully inserting fins and then pulling the tube up to waist lin e. Back in and sit down. It's worked for years. You have to use caution with everything.

4. My first tube was canvas with a truck inner tube, no pockets, no back rest. It was only a few years ago that I bought a FatCat. Consequently I have spent an awful lot of time in round tubes. Getting in and out is not difficult or dangerous. It just takes a little practice. As FF said "step in on land, pull the tube up like my britches". I am neither tall nor big around so that may be an advantage.

There is no doubt that round tubes are better in the wind. Not only do they present a lower profile but they are round so they deflect the wind evenly as opposed to the flat sides of a U or V tube. The result is that the wind does not spin you around as much. You don't have to struggle to keep the pointy end directly into the wind. As for speed through the water they are a little slower but so what. Most of the time you want to move at a slow controlled speed anyway. If you need to beat back to your put-in against the wind there is almost always a wind shadow along one shore line. For the most part speed is a non issue just as slightly higher increments of graphite modulus is a non issue.

In addition to the wind advantage, round tubes allow you to lean forward and rest your elbows on the front of the tube.

TC

5. Be sure and get the right kind of fins! THe first time I ever tubed was in a borrowed donut with borrowed fins, THe fins were an old school pair and not flexible, i wore my self out quick. If you get new fins buy them at the same place you buy your tube. If you get used make sure they are the softer flexible kind.

I bought my first tube, V open end style, at what used to be Sportsman's warehouse in Silverdale. That was two years ago and it was only around 129.00 I think. Still holding up great so you don't have spend a ton of money if that is a factor. Don't forget a pump, the higher the volume the less time you spend blowing the think up. i use a K Pump. :beer2:

6. For what it's worth, many years ago I built my first tube out of canvas, an inner-tube, & latex cement right after I discovered fire & the wheel. It was primitive, I was dirt-poor, but it got me out to where the fish were. Get what you can afford that works for you . . . they all have advantages/disadvantages but beat the hell out of flogging the water from the bank & not being able to reach the fish.

7. I'll pile on the love for the FishCat 4. I bought mine a couple months ago and have had it out several times. Super comfortable, plenty of storage and quick to fill on site if needed.

If you can afford the extra $75, I'd recommend the FishCat 4 Deluxe - it has inflatable seat and backrest, making it much smaller when not in use than mine (with foam seat and backrest). I think either would be heavy to hike too far in, but the size of the foam pieces in mine would make it just plain unwieldy to carry on a trail.

-rymo

8. Go to classified fast. A fish Car 4 just came up, brand new in box and $100 including shipping. Good luck. W

9. I have a round Caddis (15 years), a bulet U-tube (14 years) and a Trout Unlimited Pontoon (3 years). I use all of them still. Here's the run down on them.

1) Round tube - most stable and has the most pockets of all my boats. Boat is light and has backpack straps for hicking into places. Can use the truck tube or if packing it in there is a tube made of the same material as the backrest for ease of inflating/deflating. The downside is its hard to walk with fins and tube on (many unwitnessed headers into the water or downhill), slowest in water due to drag.

2) U-boat. This is the most used. Great for medium to small lakes. Tube is easier to paddle and get around then the round tube. Tube is easy to inflate and deflate as well as carry. The downside is your in the water from your waist down (same as the round tube)..

3) Pontoon boat - Can paddle with fins, oars or use a trolling motor. Sits high out of water and makes casts easier and longer. Feels like your fishing in a Cadillac. You can use the pontoon on a river. Downside - wind really effects this tube and blows you around. You'll circle with one anchor if wind keeps changing. It is hard to keep boat in one spot if there is any wind. This is heavy like #80 without it being loaded. It is a real pain unless someone else fishes with you. I even leave it inflated on a flatbed trailer.If you use a battery and tolling motor it is a hassle to get it all together but nice once your in the water.

Overall, if I could only have one tube it would be my Bucks Bag Bullet. If I had to replace it right now I think the best choice would be a Fish Cat Deluxe V-tube. This improved design now enables the user to be higher out of the water than a standard round or U-tube.

10. I am surprised you say the Donut is the most stable. That is what I hear most people drown in. Big wave or what ever, flipping you over and unable to get out or right.
    All the others, you can swim away from, but I have heard of one guy that had the ODC and couldn't unhook the apron while upside down. Did finally get head above water, but sold the tube.

11. I've been pretty happy with a TU Togiak I bought off this forum lightly used for 80 bucks.

That said, I spent a lot of this summer in 'toons or drift boats and would prefer either of those options when it's practical. As Captain Larry's wife once said to me, "don't drag your butt around in the water, use one of the pontoon boats!" Jeanne is right, and it gets old dragging the butt around in the water. I tried to use a round tube once and my 'nads said HELL NO! though maybe it's not as bad for the fellers.

12. If you can afford it, go with a small pontoon boat. Keeps you out of the water and warmer in cold weather. You can also use fins so you can use two hands while fishing. Float tubes are great for packing into high lakes but that is my only use for them.

Keith

13. I've had four Super Fat Cats and now have an Outcast Prowler. It is the ultimate floattube, especially if you like to anchor.

14. I also have a top of the line pontoon boat that collects dust because I like my Prowler (and the Super Fat cats before it) so much!

15. Different strokes....I have an Outlaw X5 and a Freestyle H3 and sadly, the H3 collects dust..

I like the idea of being able to row if the legs get tired or the weather changes in a hurry, which it does.

I will admit, If I didn't have the H3 the Prowler would have probably been my next choice.
    Had SFC for years and they served us very well.

16. Colton, for the money you will spend on a quality tube or toon. You can own a 12 or 14' aluminum boat with a trailer. I justed picked up a 14' 1973 sears boat with two batteries, two 40 lb trolling motors with trailer for $ 400.00 and it is water tight.

I am selling my two pontoons and my float tube now.

Think about it.

17. I agree a bout is awesome and you got a killer deal, but you can do allot MORE in a tube or tune. More hands FREE fishing as the legs are holding you in place or even slowly trolling.
    You know this if you have pontoons.
    Around these parts, allot of people have a boat, throw a tube in it, cruise out to a desired spot, then anchor the boat climb in the tube and fish.

I would love to get a small aluminum or even a Porta Boat and will at some point, but I want the GAS motor as I have electric on my Pontoon and I am limited, but then I can put a small gas on my Pontoon as well.
    Problem is. The boat is the cheap part, it's the MOTORS that cost. $1,500. for a 6 horse!!!

18. One advantage I see that a toon has over a boat is slow trolling in the early spring, if I trolled. I haven't found one advantage over my toon to my boat. I am more comfortable, can carry extra clothing and more gear for the day to be prepared for anything and I dont have to worry about fins and waders anymore. I can stand up and cast very comfortably, and I am 6'5" 285 lbs

19. True enough, each their own. I have used both and prefer the one on one hands on with my pontoon, plus I can handle it by myself.
    The only advantage I see in a boat is the no waders thing, but I own the waders, I wade the rivers, I can get out of the pontoon and fish in the lakes also...so waders are part of the clothing anyway.