float tube?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by colton rogers, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Elephant fly

Elephant fly ...tastes like chicken....

Media:
    Second that. The Prowler is awesome.......comfortable, light, well built, easy to kick, lots of storage and you sit almost out of the water.......kinda pricey, but a great boat.

2. Trent

Trent Ugly member

I sold my 8 ft walker bay, so that I could get a toon. I think toons are more versitile then a hard body boat. I also have tube, I like that for when I'm lazy. It's alot easer to set up and break down than the toon. I live in an appartment, so the toon always gets broken down.

3. pfournier

pfournier Do it outside!

Colton, I used my u-tube twice. Decided I wanted to stay warm, dry, carry a men's room and cooler. If you want to spend the bucks, there is nothing like a pram. Worth its weight in smiles. That is unless you wish to hike to alpine lakes. I have a Caddis u-tube and it works great! And comfortable to!

4. tippet

tippet hardcore flyfishing addict

I have really enjoyed this thread. It shows what a wonderful diversity of high-quality fishing platforms are available to the stillwater fisherman that would have been almost unimaginable 25 years ago. It also shows how different platforms are the "best" solution for different fishermen, based upon their repertoire of fishing techniques and the types of stillwater they fish. For example, I spend 99% of my stillwater fishing on small lakes 150 acres or less, usually 40 to 80 acres. I fished them in a pontoon boat for years, but almost never used the oars. The Super Fat Cat (and now the Prowler) were an upgrade over the pontoon boat for me personally, because finning was even easier and faster than in the pontoon boat (which was fine with fins), there was less wind profile and it was easier to maintain my desired position in the wind with finning, and most importantly for me (being lazy) there was less preparation time spent getting ready to fish and after fishing, allowing me to already have caught 3-4 fish by the time my buddies get their pontoon boats on the water. I love to chironomid fish, and the Scotty anchorlock off the back of my prowler is fantastic for anchoring. A pram might be even better if I were just into "park and fish" fishing. However I really like to move along the shoreline, casting to shore, and this is much more readily done while finning than while rowing a pram. I have more than one friend who bought a pram, then went back to their pontoon boat or U-tube because of this loss of versatility. The round floattubes are obsolete, because they are dangerous. Being a naturally born Klutz, I almost drowned myself twice getting in and out of lakes in my circular floattube. All it takes is once.

In summary, if you fish small bodies of water with a variety of techniques, including working along the shoreline, and rarely if ever want to row, a U-tube is best. If rowing from time to time is important, a pontoon boat is definitely best. If park and fish is your style and you don't mind not having two hands on your rod as you move from place to place or troll, and don't want to do the wader thing, you can't beat a pram.

5. Colin

Colin new member name

I must agree with others the creekcompany 420 is an awsome boat, i just picked one up not too long ago and it is a good boat. It sits high and comfortable.

Good luck.

6. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

If I may ask a question about the Outcast line, I have pretty much settled on a Fish Cat.
    My question is what is the advantage of the Urethane over vinyl for the bladders?
    The Urethane sure cost more.

7. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Urethane is lighter, lasts longer, and isn't as effected by Altitude and temperature change.
    You want to make sure you roll vinyl and not fold it as the folds could cause cracks.
    Now if you don't plan on tubing much in the future, vinyl could be just fine, but it is effected by time.