Floatant whats the best

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Denny, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Eric Denny

Eric Denny It's summer time I'm fishing!!

So just wanting to see what ppl out there felt the best floatant on the market is right now for fry flies??? I have heard gink, lochsa, SA floatant. Its time to get some new stuff and wanted to see what ppl feel is the best. So tell me what you think

2. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

Fly-agra works for me as long as you don't mind a small oil slick on the first time it hits water (I just drop it on the water real quick before my first cast).

Cheap as hell too

Eric Denny likes this.
  3. Eric Denny

does it seem to last long and where do you get it at?

4. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

It lasts a good bit of time, I never seem to have to reapply it unless I'm constantly swinging the fly thru riffles so it gets wet. Tie the fly on, dunk it in the bottle, remove it, air dry it for a second (I usually just false cast about 8 times to "dry" it off) and its good to go!

I got it as a gift, and im 90% sure the person who bought it for me got it at cabelas altho I COULD be wrong on that (he got me a fly vest filled with tippet, nippers, floatant, etc...everything cabelas brand except the floatant).

5. Vaseline big ass thing 2.95

6. RogueBum

RogueBum Spey casting for Steelies year round

loon works pretty well for me

7. Eric Denny

Which loon do you use there are a few different kinds that are for drys?

8. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

This is an old time concoction with some history, and it works.
    Mix some white gas with paraffin and keep it in a little bottle that you can dunk the fly in. False cast to dry your offering, and cast away.
    Just stay away from the campfire with the stuff and you'll be cool...

Tony Abaloney and scottr like this.
  9. scottr

scottr Active Member

10. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

That new hydroponic spray looks interesting. Moldy chum posted a review on it a week or so ago.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

11. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

It's called never wet.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

12. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

I have been using loon top ride the past 3 years and love it. I get great floats and it last a long time however I have yet to find anything that will make it past fish slime

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  13. Craig Pablo

Craig Pablo Active Member

mucilin and lighter fluid, or you can just buy some fly-agra, pretty sure that's what it is....works great

14. astrofisher

astrofisher Clear Skies

Loon Aquel or Gehrke's Gink

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  15. The Duke

The Duke Been around

Loon Lochsa is my latest floatant. I thought that Loon Aquel was good, but this stuff is amazing. No oil slick, and the flies float like corks.

Kyle Smith likes this.
  16. Impact Hottub

Impact Hottub New Member

X2

17. 10incher

10incher Active Member

This is a little trouble to go to, but it's really cool. I mix Vaseline with paraffin wax in a melting pot. Sorry I can't remember the ratios, I still have a good sized wad of the stuff and haven't made it in awhile. But the cool part is that it's solid at air temperatures but dissolves into a liquid instantly when rubbed between your fingers. Pinch off a tiny nugget between you thumb and forefinger and rub together. It dissolves in about a second and you can rub it into the fly. As soon as the fly hits the cool water it hardens into a waterproof wax coating that keeps the fly floating.

18. Seth Tyson

Seth Tyson Active Member

loon aquel works very well.

19. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Yeah, You can drown them and they still float to the top. Before I used this stuff I used Moose Snot. It's just as good except it doesn't cost as much as the new Loon does. I think that over the years I tried it all.

The new Loon Lochsa stuff is liquid and the Moose snot is clear like Loon Aquel but it doesn't melt in the Montana sun like Aquel does.

20. Eric Denny

How hard would it be to get some from you that way i dont mess up the mixture?