Floatant whats the best

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Denny, Aug 12, 2013.

1. That sounds like what I use to lube my cast bullits!

2. This is one of those "who's better: Batman or Superman" type threads

3. Loon Aquel for me

4. I had some troubles with bombers on the Spey Rod when I was fishing for Atlantics in Canada until I tried fishing with the bomber that was treated with some commercial solution. That thing was floating like a cork. I just pinged somebody that I know to get the name of it
    Will post update soon.
    I already tried everything and that thing was the best

5. Well keep me posted

6. Albolene. Buy a jug of it at a drug store, leave it in the sun for an hour, fill up your old gink bottles, and float forevermore.

7. Sorry for the late response.
    http://www.kleenflo.com/en/

Kleen-Slip Silicone Lubricant

One of the fly fisherman that quite often goes to Canada uses it for bombers

He puts bombers in the box, lightly sprays them, shakes the box and then lightly sprays them again

8. I've always been partial to Gink. Just got back into fishing after a 14 year absence and couldn't locate my ancient bottle. Was having trouble finding it in local fly shops but was visiting my Dad this weekend in Freeland, Whidbey Island and they had it in the local Ace hardware!

Stew McLeod likes this.

9. I gravitate to Gink also. Been using it for years since way back, when the guy who created it use to haunt an old Usenet newsgroup I use to frequent (alt.rec.flyfishing I think?).

Stew

10. I believe as to what you, yourself are using at the time is what is the best fly floatant. You all have found out what works for you so it is the best. Me on the other hand have played around with it all and to me the best is that new stuff made by Loon, Lochsa. I have found out that Aquel melts in the hot Montana sun. Moose snot does not and the Lochsa is already a liquid, so it isn't going to melt. It also doesn't leave a sheen of oil on the surface.

Many years ago I tried some stuff made by Garcia(I think it was them that made it). It was a liquid and it came in a hour glass shaped bottle. You would open the lid, stick in you fly and invert the bottle. After a few seconds you would turn the bottle back up right, and let the excess drain back into the bottle. Take the fly out and let it dry. It would float forever. But alas all good things come to an end.

11. I remember those little "hour glass" bottles of floatant too, Jim.

I do think you are correct that it was Garcia.

I wonder what it was they put in there.

12. This stuff works significantly better than the Loon product and whatever my Yakima guide was using recently. Close the cap on the bottle, use some of the excess wax on the fly to coat the tippet, swing the fly around in a small circle for a few seconds and the white gas is pretty much evaporated.

Finally, I keep a rubber band girth-hitched to my lanyard & chest pack as a fly dryer. Hook the fly on the rubber band, hold the tippet snug, stretch the rubber band with the other hand a little and flick. The excess wax is gone and/or the fly is instantly dry. I'll bet if $imms knew about it they would sell you one for $50.

Eric Denny likes this.
  13. I used to use Aquel, and it's great stuff. But I just switched to Kingfisher Fly Shop's Gink, because they will refill my bottle for $1.00. It works almost as good as Aquel (just like Gink!).

14. Three quick false casts. (Okay, and then every now and then a dab of Loon.)

15. Sure you're not thinking of Moose Drool?

K

16. No. But a good cool one now and then might take the edge off.

"Moose Snot" is something I can only find at one fly shop here in Dillon.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  17. On a related note, I ran across this vid of a nifty fly drying technique.

Too expensive for some I suppose.

18. Just a question do you speak spanish? I mean I was able to watch the video and figure everything out but I was wondering how you ever found this to begin with if you don't speak spanish? It just had me thinking of how much else we miss do to language barrier's when it comes to the sport we love, But GREAT Video I wish I would have seen this before I spend money on a due dad to try and dry my flies this looks like it will work just as good and would cost a hole lot less.