floating baitfish ala Mr.Stephens

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Tony, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

Media:
    Heres a few patterns I tied inspired by Mr. Stephens floating sandlance pattern, you can see the hooks I intend on using with them.
    tube 1/16"
    tail arctic fox
    underbody white larva lace foam wrapped
    overbody flat pearl diamond braid
    eyes stickon
    I colored the back of the black fly with a sharpie, the olive ones just use the same color hair as the tail after I finished tying them I epoxied over the body, now I just need to get out and see if they'll work.
    tony

Attached Files:

2. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Tony:

Great looking flies since yours look much better than mine! It doesn't appear that you used junction tubing as a hook holder at the end of the HMH tube. I like the like look without the junction tubing since it doesn't create a small hump in the middle of the pattern like mine have.

Here are a few thoughts to consider:

1. If your pattern doesn't float very well, try using Softex unstead of epoxy. The Softex creates a very thin, light coat. IMHO Softex is much easier and faster to use vs. epoxy for this type of use.

2. If you don't have much success this winter with your floating sand lance pattern, don't get discouraged. IMHO the best time to use a floating sand lance pattern is from May through Oct. when sand lance are readilly available to sea-run cutthroat and salmon. Nov. through early spring fish are not keyed into them as a readly available food source since juvenile sand are too small and transparent after hatching in late winter plus the adult sand lance bury themselves in sandy bottoms during their annual winter hibernation.

Roger

3. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

Media:
    Roger I did away with the junction tube by letting the tube soak in hot water for about 15 min. and then forced the hook into the end sort of forming the end to the hook, I found this idea on some web site I forget which one. question though do you think the painted gills really matter? I let them off of mine, I figure I can always add them later. I floated these in my sink and they seem to float very well, the tail sinks due to the hook but I believe it would no matter what.
    tony

4. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    pearl diamond braid, thats what my smolt are missing good call

5. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    "See if they'll work"??? Those look awesome, I'd be really really surprised if fish didn't like eating those.

6. Dale Dennis

Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

Great looking floating sand lance Tony, those should be dynamite this spring, I like the fact that your pattern keeps a nice low profile.. This is one that I have been working on since Roger first came up with the concept and has worked well for me but still needs improvement; I too use the flat pearl braid for the body. I don't know if the underbody hair is necessary so the next model this will be eliminated.

Attached Files:

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Double-D, personally I don't see anything wrong with that fly, looks very fishy and flowing to me. I guess the epoxied or softex covered bodied ones may be more durable, but yours is great looking. When you modify yours or fish it against the epoxied/softex covered ones I'd like to know your impression on performace differences.

8. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Tony:

IMHO I don't believe that red gill plates make any difference to the fish. I do it just to "dress" up the pattern a little bit.

If you are having a problem with the tail section sinking, try using Gamakatsu SC-15 hooks. They are a shorter shank than the SS-15 hooks which you show in your picture and I believe a lighter wire thus using the SC-15 should help with the sinking tail problem. I use the SC-15 and have not had any problem with the tail section sinking more than the front foam body section. It looks like Double-D also uses the SC-15 hook for his pattern.

Double-D:

Nice looking fly and glad that the foam body on top of the HMH tube concept has worked for you. I might have to try pearl Krystal braid for wrapping over the foam body but wrapping pearl Krystal Flash works for me.

Roger

9. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Very good looking floaters, mine turn out lumpier, even now that I'm wrapping them on the rotary vise..

I see you're using the SS15 hooks. These are a longer shanked version of the SC15. A friend had those SS's when we went out Tuesday, and was using them on my tube flies. As (I) expected he was losing more fish after hook ups, so I suggested he try the shorter SC15's, and it helped dramatically.

Part of the appeal of the tube flies is that you no longer have to use a long shank to get the point back in the hook up zone. I buy the SC15's in size 4 by the 100 pack, and use them for just about everything but out in open ocean, where I use larger SC15s.

10. Dale Dennis

Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

Yep, the pattern does have an SS15 shown, but I normally use the SC15 for all my salt flies. I grabed the wrong hook when I took it out for a photo shoot.