Floating the Puget sound like you float a river...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Alexander, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Curious, I used to have a pretty nice Scadden Pontoon set up that I sold (kicking my own ass for this dumb decision on a near daily basis). The more time goes by the more I wonder if floating the sound on a tide exchange wouldn't be much different than floating a river. Put in at spot A and float the tide to take out at spot B and fish the shoreline the entire way.

Why don't I see people do this? Is there something about this that makes little sense?

Anyone have any idea?

2. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Turtles or universes? I can't decide....

Great question. I've, more than once, wondered about this very idea. Looking forward to see what gets posted here....

3. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

We do thst in bays here- super common.
    If you are VERY THOROUGH about researching your tides, I think you could be just fine

4. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

On top of that, if you had a little Minkota set up you could get out of a small bind if needed.

stilly stalker likes this.
  5. Sawyer

Sawyer Active Member

I tried doing that, tide was going the wrong way Still had a blast, caught 2 SRC.
    The Minkota is a good idea
    uploadfromtaptalk1405739514715.jpg
    Got this picture at the end of the day

golfman44 likes this.
  6. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Wind could be a BIG factor in a tidal drift. That being said, there are some places where this would work. Back when I used to dive, we did a few drift dives. The easiest was Agate Passage. From the park to the restaurant on the ebb. Look up Puget Sound drift dives.

7. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Agreed, the wind would be a pain! I remember one time we were floating the middle fork of the Flathead in MT. The wind caused me to have to row down stream for hours!

8. splett

splett Member

I grew up over here in Bremerton.Home of lions field to a lot of people here.

Grew up with a fiberglass row boat and we would float the Washington narrows all the time.I lived in Tracyton and would float to the Mannete bridge on the out going and come home on the incoming.We called it the river because the tides are strong in that little neck.
    When I got old enough to tow a boat i still fished floating style.I had a twelve foot Hi Laker.I would put a short shaft fifteen on the back next to the electric and run it like a sled on the cow.floating 60 feet off shore so drifting and casting into 6 inches of water and twitch until ya hook up.Some of the best times of my life.That Hi Laker lives with and old boy and spends it time mooching out at No point These days, good boat.

9. rotato

rotato Active Member

I did that dive in agate pass
    We over shot the exit by about 1/4 mile
    That's fun schlepping dive gear up the beach
    Drifting in small boats is fine but if you can't make way against tide and current you are fooling with an awesome force
    Don't do that!
    Weather comes up fast and without warning
    Be safe

10. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Don't think I would do that in the sound, for the reasons already expressed, wind being the biggest. I have thought about floating the tide change on river mouths though. Put in on the incoming and return to starting point on the outgoing. Never did it but always thought the Snohomish might be an option. If anyone has don this Id be interested to know what happened.

LB

11. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Went out to Indianola yesterday and set my crab pots to soak. Motered up to the Agate Pass bridge. Had a nice outgoing tide so I just turned off my motor had my lunch and just let the boat do what it would in the tide. I would not suggest doing this with out a motor in Agate Pass. Too many mooring buoys and moored boats that need to be gotten around. But I'm thing about trying it someday.

12. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

I've done it in a kayak from Narrows Park in the south sound. No problems at all. All the way to Point Fosdick on the incoming, then up to the Narrows Bridge on the outgoing. In close to shore there are a lot of back eddies that can help you go any direction you want. There's also a good back eddy the other side of Fosdick. Going the other direction, I'd stay away from Point Evans. That's always a fire hose there!

I haven't tried Ollala, but it would be a bit more problematic. The current on that side of Vashon, outgoing OR incoming tide, tends to flow north. That one might be a better option for a shuttle float with 2 people/vehicles. Drop one ride at Southworth and launch at Olalla.

13. rotato

rotato Active Member

Today is a perfect example
    Nice morning
    Blowing stink right now
    Must be 20 at purdy

14. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

The wind sucked today for fishing

15. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Once you put your float tube or pontoon etc., into saltwaters, things change immediately. There are federal requirements for vessels that you need to comply with.A properly fitting US Cost Guard approved life jacket, some kind of light or flashlight, and a sound making device like a horn, bell or whistle are required for smaller vessels. If you use any kind of motor, including electric, there are other requirements. You will have a very good chance of being checked by marine patrols from the County Sheriff, Coast Guard or Port Security. They will also check your I.D. against a criminal background check system.

Aside from the obvious risks of being at the mercy of tidal currents and wind, waves etc., there are other dynamics at play n tide water that can evolve in just moments. A drift that is easily managed during one period of the tide, may become very turbulent and dangerous just minutes later, depending on the time of the month and the related factors of wind etc. The tides are dynamic and constantly changing. A relatively flat drift may suddenly become a standing wave with a strong back eddy. many situations on these waters could be very dangerous for someone in a pontoon or other small inflatable craft. And yet, as others here have mentioned already, there are some places where you could have great time and some good opportunities. Local knowledge will be key here. It is not enough to know the tide times and heights etc. You need to know the currents too. And all of that takes some time to translate into an understanding of how that will work for or against you in any given location. A beach that is safe to wade in one spot may be very dangerous just a few dozen yards away.

Another thing to be mindful of is ship wakes and boat wakes, and how they act in certain currents and tides, winds etc. A sneaker wave hitting you the wrong way will dump you off of your little "boat" rather quickly. In many areas of Puget Sound the water will be cold all year, even in summer. So you need to dress for immersion, or be prepared to find yourself in the drink in safe water, closer to shore. The paradox here being that the closer to shore that you get the taller some waves will be. All of this is to say that you need to be careful and aware of your surroundings and situation at all times in tidewater. Wear highly visible colors too, because most fishermen will wear drably colored clothing and the operators of other boats will not see you. http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

c1eddy, stilly stalker, CLO and 3 others like this.
  16. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Well said Mr. Triggs.

17. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Yep. I was almost dumped over a few years back, in my aluminum boat, by a freighter wave that caught me sideways. Since then, I am very mindful of the ships that pass me. I still have that boat but have switched to a bigger, safer craft for the Sound.

18. splett

splett Member

I learned early on how dangerous the ferry wake could be.I will always remember how close I came to dying.

19. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

I found a couple guys drift mooching in the fog last season. They asked me where they were. When I told them Lagoon Point on whidbey Island they turned white. They put in at Kingston and were so stoned they didn't realize they drifted across Admiralty Inlet,

You cannot count on tidal currents to take you down the shoreline in a controlled drift.

20. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Nice work Bob. It's a lot easier to die on Puget Sound than you think.