Floating the Puget sound like you float a river...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Alexander, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Birdsnest

Birdsnest Member

I see people out in the sound in float tubes now and then. Very risky. I don't think most people realize how fast the tidal currents are or how fast the wind can kick up. Also, riding the wake of an 18 ft Bayliner in a float tube would be risky, let alone a tug boat or freighter. Might be ok in a pontoon on a nice day. At least with oars you can get around better.

2. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

Number one recommendation would be to try out your vessel of choice at your chosen location WITHOUT trying to fish. KISS principle, at least initially. I'm hoping to do that in my yak in October on the Yakima. It will be with a group (PSFF), so we'll have some "backup". Still, first float will be just that, "float". No fishing, take pictures, and figure out what's best for location and fishing.

3. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Unless your craft is bright colored, I would strongly suggest adding some hi-vis orange (like hunter vest) so you can be seen by the motorboats. There are some very strong currents and rips around the sound, so do some homework before venturing about and by all means, wear a PFD.