Flourocarbon tippit

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by IveofIone, May 25, 2013.

1. BaldBob

BaldBob Member

Where?

2. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    I got mine at Cabelas, and Wal Mart had it as well (not sure anymore).

I should have made the disclaimer, that it has been two years since I've bought it. 250 yds.... goes a loooong way. :)

3. waterworker

waterworker Member

Media:
    Amazon .... Seaguar fluoro (Blue Label) 50 and 100 yd. spools :)

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  4. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    This is the one I use. The InvizX that everyone seems to like using just doesn't seem to hold up. http://www.amazon.com/Seaguar-Abraz...e=UTF8&qid=1369683082&sr=1-3&keywords=seaguar

I may check out the stuff Ive posted about, though. I'm genuinely curious. I have disliked every fluoro I've tried except the Seaguar... and I've tried a whole lot of it.

5. Kaiserman

And by the way, Evan is spot on. Everyone knows you can't catch fish without using Seaguar. :D

Proline is also another one. 100% at I think around $17 or $18 per 250. I do have one or two of their spools I think...

6. Kaiserman

Hey Evan,

I had the same problems with Seaguar at first (just at a much smaller scale).

Two things to note:

1. I changed all my knots. This made a huge difference. Only took me one trip out fishing to get into the habit of tying different ones, but what a time saver, and a performance issue. Triple Surgeons knot for all leaders, and overhand loop or nail knots for ends. Something about the stiffness of fluorocarbon that makes some knots not hold well, or as easy to tie.

2. The tinsel strength of fluorocarbon is way stronger (per thousands dia.), than that of mono. Meaning you can go down sometimes even two pound test sizes for each section. I know that "4 lb test is 4 lb test" but, mono stretches and fluoro does not. Over time, even with just a snag or two or decent size fish or two, that mono ain't 4 lb test anymore, especially at the knot. Again, very, very little to no stretch with fluoro. Because of that, I was able to tie smaller tippet, and easier knots. And because of the "camo" characteristics, able to go up a couple sizes on bigger flies.

The big thing (for me anyway), was changing my knots.

Of course, you probably already knew this, and I just wasted my time. Maybe it's good for someone else.... ;)

7. waterworker

waterworker Member

Media:
  8. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

I've had good results with Seaguar premium, Rio Grand Max, and Orvis Mirage. About a year ago I read an article that indicated that, per most parameters, Maxima fluorocarbon is one of the best, and it costs a little less than others. I've just tied some summer steelhead leaders with .011" 10 pound test (rated:rolleyes:) tippets. It's not kinky, at any rate. We'll see.

9. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Greg, I had heard the same thing from some guys on Clark's a bunch of years ago. One guy even suggested that the H&H lines were actually made by Cortland and were simply 444 tapers but in olive instead of peach.

Lured by the prospect of buying a 444 at a $15 discount, I bought a couple of H&H DTs in 4 and 5 back in the mid-2000s and spooled 'em up to test with some of my go-to rods. I found them to be difficult to cast consistently. A little wind was almost a deal breaker. They felt light in hand and didn't load the rods I tried them on as well as the lines I was already using. Mind you I didn't rush to that conclusion but backed into it over the course of a couple of months, comparing the H&H lines with others in my closet or a variety of rods.

My experience with the H&H lines was the reason I ended up buying a line scale (which I don't think I've used twice since). It confirmed that the two I had were at the very low end of the range for their respective indicated weights. My H&H DT4 could just as easily have been a SA GPX DT3.

Maybe my H&H lines were an abberation. Maybe they were mismarked. Most certainly other people were more impressed with them than I was. While other people's mileage will probably vary, even at less than $30 each, they weren't worth it to me so I ended up selling them and moving on.

K

10. BaldBob

BaldBob Member

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone here had experience with the Seaguar knot & care to report how it does with flouro.

11. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Kent, I had a similar experience with an H&H 4wt DT. It simply would not load the rod and cast were just falling out of the sky. H&H says if you are not happy to send it back so I did. Last week I ordered one of their new RISE lines in a WF5. I'll see how that works and if it is an improvement over the old olive high floater. The solution to the underweight line was a GPX. If the RISE doesn't work out then another GPX or Rio WF is probably in my future.

Ive

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  12. Kaiserman

Not sure exactly what you mean, other than that some knots (again, for me) worked better than others. The triple Surgeons when building your own leaders, and the overhand loop or nail knot for the butt section to fly line. I just use the fisherman's knot to the fly.

Was that what you were getting at? If not, then I'm no help. Because that's about the extent of the knots I need.

Oh... there's the wind knot, but I don't recommend that one. :D

13. Ryan Bradfield

Ryan Bradfield Member

so whats the final verdict here...which Seaguar is THE best?

14. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    That's EXACTLY what happened with mine. Thanks for confirming it wasn't just me.

K

15. BaldBob

BaldBob Member

On Seaguar's website they have a knot (that I hadn't seen before) for joining 2 pieces of leader that they call a Seaguar knot. It looks simple to tie & may simply be an easier way to tie a triple surgeons than I have seen. But I don't think so.

16. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

So THAT's why my casts have been so crappy!!!
    I haven't been catching that many fish lately either - now I have an excuse.
    I'm going to budget for some new lines, and some of that fluorocarbon that Ive suggested - I need all the help I can get.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  17. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    That's a better excuse than mine: I haven't been catching fish because I haven't had the time to go fishing!

K

18. Kaiserman

I don't know. I haven't done personal tests on them yet. I just have the one that comes in the blue and yellow box. Remember, 100% fluoro, is 100% fluor. If you are sticking with Seaguar, not sure you can go wrong really. Just my thought.

19. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I've been using the Seaguar Blue Label for a number of years now and have been very happy with it.
    I get the 25 yd spools for 7-$8.00 at Outdoor Emporium. Well worth it in my opinion.
    Unfortunately they don't make larger spools in the Blue Label below 10 lb test.

I tried Berkley Vanish when it first came out. They certainly got the name correct, because the fish seemed to vanish after you hooked up.
    I round filed it after losing a number of nice fish on it due to breakage.
    SF

20. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    I had the same issue with the last several brands of fluoro I bought. It seemed quite prone to breaking and when I considered the price, concluded that this fool and his money had been parted.

K