Fluoro tippets too weak for steelhead?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by junebug41, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Steelie Mike Active Member

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    I honestly think it comes down to checking your knots and tippet after every snag, tangle in tree limb and rod tip, location the where weight is added and before each use. Also if your knot is not emaculate, then cut it off and tie it again. We have all had a poor knot or knot that has been banged on a rock cause enough damage to loose on a fish. The more often you get into the habit of checking your line, the less frequent the will break you off (In general).

I quit using small package fly shop bought tippet dispensers years ago and buy large spools of P-Line 250yds. I went through a bunch of different companies until I found the one that I like. You save a lot of money by the end of the year. I also do this for mono and I also use Ultragreen. Mono is great for swinging flies because if you have the right presentation the fish cannot see the line in the first place. TL's
  2. greyghost Member

Coastal Rivers, OR
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Same here.....maybe it's my knots, or my refusal to re-tie over and over, but maxima just plain works for me and I ain't changing....and I save boat loads of cash as opposed to flouro, which is nice.

Pete
  3. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    Yes, I agree The bigger spool saves a ton of money. I fish a awful lot and go threw leader like crazy. My big spool fit right in my top vest pocket and I can reel it on. Its great like a built in line dispenser.
  4. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Well how about these numbers. That 10 lb ain't 10 lb. Like I said I LOVE the stuff, and in terms of spool to spool consistency, there is NOTHING better, but I've straigtned saltwater hooks with 15lb. Theres a reason you don't see it used for records. Back when I still had a boga grip I would test my knots, or should I say "knot tying skill" before going on a saltwater trip. With 20 lb berkeley big game on this very unscientific system I would pop my bimini knots between 17 and 22 lb. With maxima 20 lb would sometimes hit 27 to 30lbs before popping! I know that to some that sounds like winning situation, but if I wanted 30 lbs of break strength, I would have bought it. I did often use it off the beach in Mexico in the 13 lb test, and it absolutely rocked! But I don't need 30 lb break strength. Don't need it and definitely don't want it!

As to knots in fluoro, they have to be tied TIGHT! and don't wet the knot before seating it. Oddly enough that INCREASES the heat with fluorocarbon and weakens your knot. I know it sounds weird, but it's true.
  5. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    :)
    Thanks Philster. I will have to give it a try. With my one trip to the Keys I am no big game fly fisherman. I know those tropical salt fish SMOKE steelhead but I keep it a secret around here in the PNW. Anyway, I will give this a try and see. I also don't personally care about actual tippet strength because I don't care about setting any records but I can see how Maxima would mess with this persuit. I will have to rekindel my fluoro romance. :)

First, I will share my fluoro secret, this is the one fishing situation I use the stuff. In the dog days of summer when the lowland lakes are rapidly dropping and are super warm and clear, fishing bass in shallows, ABSOLUTELY use fluoro. Your hookups may increase 10 fold. Also try dragon nymphs on fluoro, BIG bass will eat them without thinking if they are on fluoro and NEVER touch them with mono. I have read many times that bass aren't leader shy and this is sometimes the case but when you have hot-low-clear-pressured-bass conditions go to it.
  6. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +319 / 0
    For Steelhead I have never really had any noticeable amount of breakoffs using 15/12/10 (during winter) or 12/10/8 (during summer) green maxima. It isnt the most expensive and it doesnt carry a fancy name like fluoro but it works for me every time. Also I have never really noticed steelhead to be leader shy. That is of course all wild ass speculation based only on my limited and nieve experience.

I can straighten the size 5 gamakatsu's on my leeches with the 10lb about as often as I break it off.
  7. Philster New Member

Well I've personally witnessed some things that make me question the leadershyness of trout! I saw heavily pressured brown trout in Hot Creek in Cali rise to live hoppers with 30 lb mono superglued to them. But no drag since the mono wasn't attached to anything. Sensitive to drag and unnatural movement? You bet! thickness of tippet? Not so much! The fact that most of the time steelhead fishing is swinging the fly, I certainly agree with you that I don't sweat spooking steelhead with a heavy leader.
  8. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    Yep I agree......unfortunately those summerruns will get a bit too shy to hit a swung fly when there is a lot of pressure. That is when I dead drift princes and the like. Those little flies need the light lines to fish right. That is when I get borken off TOO frequently. Perhaps that is a good application for fluoro.
  9. luckybalbowa Member

Kamas, Utah

I have also been doing this for a couple of years and what mike says, is true. I use it rather than tippet. the diameter is .001" greater for the same lb test rating, but it doesnt really matter that much even to some pretty particular trout. P-line is great stuff, in fact they just came out with a new fluoro that I would like to try.

I'm really suprised that no one has mentioned the fact that flouro is denser than nylon or mono, which helps it sink faster (less weight on the fly, or split shot etc affecting your casting).
  10. Philster New Member

I see you mention that they just came out with a new fluoro... I don't know if it's still the case but originally PLine wasn't pure fluoro. It was mono with a fluoro coating. Did that change?
  11. SuperDave New Member

.Spanaway, WA
    Here's an experiment for you:

Place a weight (say 1 pound) on the floor.
    Attach the suspect tippet to the weight.
    TRY :eek: lifting the weight off the floor with your fly rod.

I know what will happen, DO YOU?

What does this tell you about tippet strength? :ray1:

SuperDave
  12. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +319 / 0
    I just tried lifting some of my halibut weights. I picked up a 2-32oz and one 8 oz w/ the rio powerflex 6x tippet material lifting by hand. It broke 3x in a row trying to pick up 2-32's and one 12oz. It is rated at 6.4lb test. My weights are poured from Xray room lead lining so it is 99% pure so it is very good lead and a 32oz weight actually weights 32oz.

I would really be nervous about lifting that much weight with my 4wt or 6wt.

I know that 10lb maxima can break a lot of fly rods. I watched an 8wt TiCr snap this summer up in alaska when the 8 or 9 lb silver that my buddy was fighting got in close to him and put quite a bend in the rod.
  13. luckybalbowa Member

Kamas, Utah
    Actually, Pline has had a pure fluoro line. It is named simply pline fluorocarbon. What you are thinking about is called "fluoroclear" which is a fluoro coated mono.

We got some new stuff by Pline in the store. Halo and Evolution. One is a pure fluoro and the other is a hybrid. We only have the 250 yard spools and I havent bought one yet. I would like to try it out though. I wish they had sent us some bulk line so I could snip off a couple yards.