Fly Blank Identification

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Southsound, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Southsound

Southsound Steve Cole - Nisqually and Adjacent Environs

I recently bought a couple of fly rods from a private party, one of which he represented as being built on a G. Loomis blank. Yesterday I drove to the Loomis factory to get them to help me I.D. the blank and they told me that it wasn't one of theirs. Now I am trying to identify the manufacturer of the blank and thought I would put it to this considerable bank of knowledge in the form of all you list members.

The blank is 3 piece, 10 foot 8 weight. The ferrules are butt over tip and the blank is charcoal grey with a semi-glossy finish. The only other distinguishing quality is the color of the ferrule plugs which is a dark green composite of some kind and the blank at the male ferrule is relatively thick as are older graphite fly blanks I have seen. No decals or alignment dots and you can't really see the construction of the female ferrules.

I was thinking that it might be a Scott SAS but I dunno! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hope is that Thing with Feathers..

2. Porter

Porter Active Member

I might be wrong but I thought most big mfg. have their names on the blanks....I have seen a couple built custom rods and thay all had their respective logo and info.

3. Bogie

Bogie New Member

I have purchased 3 Sage blanks and they did not have their name on them.

4. Porter

Porter Active Member

It shows how much I know.....I saw one Sage and I saw two custom St. Croixs and they had their logo on them...maybe it was put on or requested by the builder???:dunno

5. JRSly

JRSly Oncorhynchus clarki clarki

Media:
    Most "big" manufacturers send a little sticker kind of thing with their blanks so the builder can put it on under the finish is they want, there are also companies out there that custom make logo stickers, and these are used often. A lot of active builders build rods that aren't for a specific client, and if this is the case they don't know what the client wants as far as information wise and will often use the manufactures logo on the blank. This way they can sell more rods because they don't have to have an order before they build one, but they can still do the custom jobs with the clients name, they just have to wait a little longer. Hope this clears up your wonderment a little Porter.

Southsound, I am sorry, I don't know if I can help much, I will look around a little and if I find something out I will post it. When you say butt over tip do you mean the Scott style with the internal continuous slim style ferrule, or the old school big butt end over the skinning tip.

Sly

6. Southsound

Southsound Steve Cole - Nisqually and Adjacent Environs

Sly...

Thanks for the consideration. As to the ferrules, not spigot like Scott and Winston, but "big butt over skinny tip" like Sage, St. Croix, etc. Sorry for the confusion and thanks again for the help...

Steve

Hope is that Thing with Feathers..

7. JRSly

JRSly Oncorhynchus clarki clarki

Media:
    I would like to say that I made a mistake in that comment, it should be "big tip over skinny butt" but I am sure you understand what I meant. I have been looking and can't really come up with any thing. I would like to see it, but oh well, it still probably wouldn't help me much. I am guessing it is an older rod because from what you said the butt end is the female portion right, and this is an older style, but I am sure you already knew that. I have been looking around online actually to try to find older blanks that match this description, but I have had no luck. I have not given up, I just wanted to keep you up to date.

Sly