Fly box for tube flies?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Dave Evans, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

Media:
    I have been tying some tube flies this year for winter steelhead. Curious what people are using as fly boxes for these. I see some like the Off the Hook boxes with pins, and others like HMH and Wheatleys with foam inserts.

2. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    I use a small box that looks like this...

mSV7GfyxqheCjSG9VQ4OFuQ.jpg

Derek Day, fisshman26 and PT like this.
  3. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Snowbee Fly Wallet from Canadian Tube Fly. You can also use long pins (craft store) to pin to your foam box.

4. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

5. Greg Holt

Greg Holt Active Member

P1010157.JPG P1010159.JPG Here's a home-made tube fly box, complete with swing-out pins and cute little container nested inside for hooks, spacers, and connector tubing pieces.

Start with a cheap Plano box, remove some dividers. Add a "hinge" pin of stiff wire (I actually used HMH fly tube on this one), some diaper pins with half cut off, some spacer tubing to separate the pins.

Total cost less than $7.

I carry that in a water-proof sling/fanny pack, and good to go.

6. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

That's very ingenious Greg, thanks much for sharing!

7. Greg Holt

Greg Holt Active Member

10-4, Tacoma Red. Glad to "show and tell", no intent to hijack OP's quest.

If you build yourself one, melt the ends of the HMH tube so it won't come out.

The hook box is an empty from Mustad C49 scud hooks, and the top edge of the divider is recessed in two places to allow it to just touch the inside lid without rattling around when the case is closed up. The red divider tube sections came from the automotive shop or the hardware store (fuel line?).

Very short sections of the smallest connector tube pushed onto the tip of each pin keep the contents from coming off, and the flies stay uncompressed and dry better left on the pins too, IMO.

I use mine for "modular" intruders, so I can stack short bodies of the same color/type on a particular pin. The spacers (various "bugle" beads from Michael's craft store inside the hook box) let me customize on the go, creating longer flies of whatever color/style I choose right on the water. Again, less stuff to pack along.

This style of storage came into existence after I nearly dumped an entire box of loose ones in the drink!

8. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

Media:

Thanks, and those look like some nice flies!

9. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    This is another option, Cliff makes The Swinger. Picked mine up at Waters West. Not nearly as cool as home made, but the flies are secure and the swing leaf is useful.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2 uploadfromtaptalk1387129490085.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1387129512208.jpg

10. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

lol a plastic bag? It works pretty well if for minimalist stuff. If not I just throw the days flys in a small compartment Plano. Since the're tube flies I don't see the point of fancy boxes.

11. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

The bags are heavy mil, much more so than food storage bags and have Velcro as the hinge attachment so that you can remove an entire sleeve (bag), or even add more. However I really like Greg Holt's DIY and I'll be making those when needed. It was an impulsive purchase but I do like the Snowbee.

12. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

The bags are heavy mil, much more so than food storage bags and have Velcro as the hinge attachment so that you can remove an entire sleeve (bag), or even add more. However I really like Greg Holt's DIY and I'll be making those when needed. It was an impulsive purchase but I do like the Snowbee.

13. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Woooo Nelly, what just happened?

14. Greg Holt

Greg Holt Active Member

Plastic bags are OK, but,

The sweetness of the "Plano" tube fly box with the hinge pin is that the flies won't clump up or mash down, especially when wet. At the end of the session of fishing, I toss the open box on the defroster vent with the flies swung out, and by the time I'm 20 miles down the road, they are dry, safe, and ready for their next assignment. No mildew, no flattened flies, no sour smell from being stored wet (I can't prove it, but smelly flies can't be an advantage!).

I would expect the "swinger' box to offer the same advantage, but mine was already built when they came out with theirs, so pride caused me to stick with the home-made.