Fly catch at ringold

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Fly rod, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Fly rod

Fly rod New Member

I went to ringold sat to try for steelhead. I started drifting with bait but got bored with that . I grabed my trusty ol' fly rod put my sink tip spool on as was ready to catch one of them jumpers I'd seen. I tied a #4 skunk on the end. I had just read they catch more steelhead theany other single fly. So on Friday night I tyed some. Well gittin.. back to the catchI was near the hatchery stream, study the flow of the water. The wind was gustin' to 20 or 30 knots up the river. not the best casting conditions.Many cast ended up straight up river from me.I decided to let the stream current take my offering into the river, Keeping in touch with my fly to avoid snags I was succesful in not getting hung up to much. Only every other cast. Suddlnly I felt the familiar tug of a fish. The adreline raced threw my body I remembered to set the hook three times. I thought I was in heaven. Then the fish didn't feel so big the fight was not as challenging as I remembered. Well I guess this must be A smaller one. After what seemed like seconds of time I saw my catch. It was a two pound sucker caught by a two hundred pound sucker. Oh well!!!
    Fly Rod :THUMBSUP

2. Vic_sea

Vic_sea New Member

My first attempts to catch steelhead were mostly casting to
    the snout of goddamn sucker :)I stopped after one man explained
    me this is not steelhead and will not take fly.
    But if they bottom-feeding can they take a little #14 or #16 nymph?
    Lot of them thrive in N.F.Stilly and some are big ones