Fly choice for winter steelhead....

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by pcknshvl, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Said the guy with 4 posts. :clown:

2. Saw that one coming!

I've been told BLACK. Black, big and bushy. Black, long and full of action. Black, short and sparse. Black, with a touch of color veiled in black. If not black then something with black in it so that you can still be fishing with black. Sorry my input is not worth the 122 keystrokes to post it, fish Black.

3. most of my winters last year came on cerise or pink......just sayin'

4. Big Brushy, Orange Marabou Leeches have worked for me in both summer and winter. But so have the traditional patterns. Presentation and getting it in front of the fish without spooking them.

5. Everyone, thanks for all the input--it's helpful, and confirms what I've read, heard, and experienced.

I think we can put this thread to bed!

Tom

6. Now THAT is something new under 'my Sun.' Need to print out the thumbnail and give those a go .... would you consider doing a 'step by step?' Or at least post a recpt?

fae

7. Well, if this thread is going "lights-out" then let me throw a little cold water on it first. I like all the various fly types, anything that works,.... well, works! But here is a fly without pedigree, a simple mongrel, and yet
    it has become for me, a humorous fly choice. A hook, a bead-head, wrapped in Polar Chenille....that's it....that's all...zip!
    So far, from 2007 to the present this lowly commoner of a fly has produced a worthy Coho, and a feisty Jack both in the Cascade, two Bulltrout, and a winter Steelhead-Nate/hen on the Sauk and I almost forgot this pink in the Skagit.
    I have next to catch a nice RB and an SRC on it and I'll then consider it a fly of unusual honor. Hey, this sounds like a story line for an "Olive The Little Wolley Bugger" book...:rofl:

There is a great essay on the subject of fly selection as pertains to Steelhead, in the March 2010 edition of Fly Rod & Reel magazine.The essay written by E. Donnall Thomas, Jr. (OK I don't actually know who this guy is but, it's a good essay) The tile is "Greatest of all Time" let me quote a short paragraph. QUOTE: "I am an avowed nihilist in the selection of fly patterns for anadromous fish. For the most part, steelhead and salmon are either going to hit what's offered properly or they aren't. Most of our devotion to fumbling through fly boxes in search of an irresistible pattern reflects frustration with fish that aren't hitting ( or that aren't even present). Conversely, the intense devotion we feel toward patterns that turned a day or two around is usually the result of getting the fly-whatever it is-in front of an eager fish". END Quote.

So I've decided to give my scruffy fly a name..."Whateveritis"...it works.

LB

8. Spoken like a man looking for those accidental steelhead.

9. again, im not anyone to trust when it comes to steelhead. but a lot of my philosophy on fly choice has proven itself true across the board, from carp, to SRC's, to bass, to brown trout. flies are tools. and you gotta have the right tool for the job. by tying your own flies, you can now tailer each tool to the task. you may be right that a steelhead will eat anything but why limit yourself to one box filled with the same fly? shit tie 30 black ESL's if thats what you dig. some with beadchain. some with lead. some with LEAD. some unweighted. now you got the right tool for the tailout. the deep seam. the head. the froggy shit. the corner pocket. that log jam that pushes out into the heavy water. and the mile long swing step. sink tips can only do so much, sometimes its the fly and not so much the presentation that gets you to that fish. when there is more anglers then fish, you gotta put in a little extra. and im not talking just steelhead. anything that is worth casting to. i try to approach every situation with an open mind. i sure as hell am not gonna be the 20th GBS swung through the mixer bar on a type III on a given day.

at least that is what i tell myself. i'll get my 2010 fish one of these days...... until then i think im gonna tie more flies. black and chartreuse..... heavy.... and huge..... and i know right where im gonna swing it.

10. a leach...big or small. The dirtier it looks the better

11. After reading through this I forgot what it was we were originally talking about, oh that's right "when the water is low, clear, and cold?" I would say olive drab sculpin tied up MOLE style( the one in the pic is tied on a cotter pin) swung down into those Boulder buckets that offer some kind of surface cover for the fish, hold a loop of line & be ready to drop your loop & throw in a small check set(toward the side of the river your fishing on) at any pause or bump because they can take hella soft as in the little voice in the back of your head say-in that was just a bottom tick. Not trying to say this always works but I have found it to be the case more than once up here on the ol nutsack.River that is. Dave