Fly fishing, and Bird Hunting

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by HogWrangler, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Guy Gregory Active Member

Spokane, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    September and October are the worst...usually fantastic fly fishing especially in Western Montana, but then there's birds to hunt, chukar and quail, later go chase some roosters and jump shoot ducks if there's any water. I can never decide, so I try to do it all. Late November it's field hunting geese. I don't much hunt big game, I'd really rather just go gather that.

I've a golden retriever who had a great pheasant year last year, his 12th season. He's retired now, it looks like the potholes may come back this year with the rainfall and recharge we got, so next fall I may be after some ducks on small water with my family's dogs...I'll need to be training up another swamp collie, this one I'll condition to the drift boat. :cool:

I find fly fishing and bird hunting very much enhanced if I'm after wild critters...I've really no interest in planters at all. If I had to pick I'd rather not, fly fishing and bird hunting bring me a great deal of pleasure, from training the dog to loading the shell to shooting the bird to tying the fly with the feather and dog hair, to landing the trout.

Oh, and by the way, the coolest thing my son ever said that I heard was, when describing duck hunting from a blind: "It's sorta like still fishing for birds.."
  2. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Would take duck hunting over just about anything... LOVE IT.
    My season usually go like this...
    Early archery for deer or elk in late August/early sept.
    then chukars and grouse.
    Then the opener for ducks.
    Usually try to hit the ID and OR openers for chukar.
    Back to quail and chukar in WA.
    Around nov 1 or so i will get into duck hunting all out and hunt them hard through the rest of the season.
    Usually a duck shhot in the am and then on to quail. Found some great covies last year :)
    And ducks all the way until jan 29 or whatever the close is.
    I will also mix in the chukar depending on where i am.

Last fall i started out guiding on the G.R. when i got back from N.M, and archery elk. Was able to shoot a few chukars, huns, quail and grouse down there on the river.
    Then hit the pheasant opener in Dayton which conveniently was the day after our last trip down there.
    Then from Nov 15- Dec 15 I was down on the John Day. That was some great chukar hunting when i could get out. Usually only had a couple hrs between parties showing up to fish but the last couple days i was down there the river iced over and the chukars were thick :) even shot some geese down there from the fields on top.

If i can fish for atlantic salmon, hunt chukars, and ducks for the rest of my life i will be happy. and of course i need a good dog to accompany me.
  3. seekm chris

edmonds
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    I have a couple of pointing labs myself and am as pleased as I could be. They still need some work but there isn't anything that makes me happier than watching them get birdy then lock up. They are also great family dogs. We hunt chukar, phesant, and dove with a few quail here and there.

It's even better when we're able to hunt in the morning, fish through the middle of the day, and then get in an evening hunt to cap things off.

Attached is a picture of the my two year old girl after a morning hunt last dove season. We were able to get into some pretty big trout on a fire resevoir on a nearby ranch later on that day. A pretty dang fun way to spend a weekend.

Attached Files:

4. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +768 / 1
    When it comes to bird hunting there is only one bird at the top of the list, ruffed grouse. Close second are blues, then quail, chukar and pheasant tied for last. I've never bagged a duck so, I can't say about that.

If anyone would like to hunt the Okanogan around Oroville let me know. If anyone would show me some hunting around the south east corner, I'm game.

Bart has offered again and again to smack some duck, but it never seems to happen, my bad usually.
  5. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    There is nothing I know of that gives me greater satisfaction than taking Steelhead on a dry fly, and grouse on the wing, on a fall weekend.
  6. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Jim, you and I better hook up this fall...we're too close not to...:thumb:

Maybe I should have a grouse gig too...:hmmm:
  7. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Roper:
    Fo' sure buddy!

I've been scouting this stretch of public land that's within 10 minutes of my #1 favorite summer steehead run. Real birdy. My dog was running in circles. I'm gonna be bringing my 12 gauge with me fishing; cast N' blast on the same day!
  8. HogWrangler Member

Stanwood WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Your right about grouse Roper and Salt Dog, you know they say the king of the game birds is the Ruffed Grouse. I Got my limit two days in arrow hunting with my grandpa and uncle while hunting the Okanogan Forest, and also while fishing a near by creek I saw 6 blues on the way right off the side of the road. But is was summer, so no shooting occured.
  9. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +177 / 6
    I would love to take you up on the grouse hunting offer. I have never hunted grouse, though I did spook one up while deer hunting a few years back. Scared the crap out of me until I realized what it was.:eek:
  10. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    If you got those birds on the wing, I am impressed! My first Grouse 25 years ago I got with a wrist rocket; took me about 5 shots before I beaned it; wouldn't break cover to save itself, and couldn't figure out what was whistling past its head. It wasn't until after that episode that I learned to hunt with a dog to get'em up; The excitement of the explosion when they break cover! Even when I am expecting it, still makes the heart jump.
  11. HogWrangler Member

Stanwood WA
    I am some what ashamed to say that none were on the fly. One case I was so close to the birds that I had to back up and then shoot so I wouldn't mutilate them. Even then I blew one's head clean off. I hoped that the shooting would cause them to fly but they only moved out of the way by walking a little. The other occasion was that I shot one male on the ground and his buddy just flew up onto a low nearby tree limb so I just shot him out of it. They aren't too smart. Plus I had no dog to flush them with.
  12. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    You can get them to flush without a dog. Patience is often what does it. Often, being still will spook them, then a movement sends them aloft. Watch their crest feathers, when they stand up, be ready to shoot.

It's kinda like chironomid fishing...:clown:
  13. mr trout Trevor Hutton

Yakima, WA, USA.
    I had one hunkered down in a bush once, and for the life of me I couldnt get it out. Tried waiting it out, walking around it, stomping my foot, etc. But it wouldn't get out so I just threw a rock in there and tried to run around the side quick enough for a shot...It was a big bush... No bird.
  14. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    come on guys the ruffed grouse was named king back east... there are few birds dumber than a grouse(of any kind) out west. Fun to hunt but not very bright.
  15. Josh Benjamin Member

duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I will say thaat the forest grouse are not the brightest, but there have not been too many ruffies that i would say i had an easy shot at...have not seen too many slow ones, and the woods they live in are typically about the thickest around.
  16. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +177 / 6
    Do you need a "strike indicator" for your shotgun?;)
  17. Kaari White Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    Totally...... iagree :thumb:

The difficulty in hunting ruffed/blue grouse are the trees that get in the way, not because the birds themselves are so crafty. I'll take a pheasant any day.
  18. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    D3Smartie, I can't argue with you, Grouse instincts could definitely use some help from Darwin. They have an overdeveloped reliance upon camouflage, and just don't get car bumpers, or weapons of any kind besides teeth and claws. Just like deer don't get vehicle headlights on roads, dogs don't get fly lines, and men generally don't get women. :confused:

However, the reason I like to fish for trout is the places you must go to find them. Same thing for grouse.

If I liked to hike down flat rows of corn and soy beans, I guess the thought of living in Nebraska or Dakota and hunting pheasants would sit better with me. But I prefer the high country forests, and walking the ridgelines, fields and draws surrounded by Aspen and Ponderosa.

Besides, if grouse were too smart then I would look just that much more foolish more often anyways. I Hate it when an animal or fish with a brain the size of a pea makes you look stupid!! :rofl:
  19. toddsbernina New Member

Kennewick, WA
  20. Moses Lake BOB New Member

Moses Lake, Wa
    I also enjoy upland bird hunting with my 6yr old English setter, nothing like it. The shotgun is up in Oct comes down mid Jan, then up with the fly rod. Sometimes I've got one in each hand. Murph & I hunt them all, probably use more hun feathers & some pheasent tails in my fly tying but certainly have enough to go around. The only problem with fly fishing is leaving murph home, but he has it figured out, he knows my body language, & of course if it's the fly rod or shotgun in the morning that comes out, he is either bouncing off the walls or just nicely curls up back on his rug. Too many ticks & snakes, & when he hits the field it's all buisness for him no in between.