Fly fishing classes

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by topflight121, Oct 25, 2002.

1. topflight121

topflight121 Josh Pearson

My dad and I are looking for a class that will teach fly patterns and reading water. Does anyone have any suggestions?? hopefully in the tacoma/bremerton area

cheers

2. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Most fly shops have classes. Probably the nearest to you are the Northwest Angler (http://www.NWAngler.com/) in Poulsbo and the Morning Hatch in Tacoma. They aren't my local shops, but I think they both have classes on fly fishing.

Rob
    ---------
    Genetic pollution damages wild
    stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!

3. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Tightloops is right, you will learn how to tie flys and perhaps many other good things at your local fly shop.

But to learn how to read water and how to use flys for different species, your best bet is to find a competent and experienced teacher, who will give you on the water instruction.

May I suggest you check out www.flyfishsteelhead.com

Dennis Dickson is well known for his, on the water, fly fishing classes. Your learning curve should be considerably diminished by signing up for one.

My son and I will be taking one of his winter classes in November, and we are really looking forward to the education.

LB

4. Steelworker

Steelworker New Member

Hey there,
    Mike Martin(son of Darrel Martin) puts on a great class for both stream and stillwater flyfishing at the Morning Hatch in Tacoma. My advise would be to talk to him personally. He's there tuesday through saturday and 'd be more than happy to answer any of your questions.

Larry