fly fishing for salmon from a boat

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by toadthedry, Aug 7, 2004.

1. toadthedry Member

Western Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have been doing some beach fishing for salmon with variable results (read: not as good as I'd like).

How do you fly fish for salmon from a boat in the hood canal/puget sound area?

(ie do you go slowly along shore, casting into shore; or do you go out deeper and find tide rips; or look for bait; or troll a buctail or all of the above???

also, what lines do you use??

THANKS FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS

mike
  2. Roger Stephens Active Member

Ratings: +326 / 0
    In Puget Sound it is pretty much a shallow shoreline fisheries. This time of year the best chance you have of finding salmon in the saltchuck is to cruise the shoreline at day break on a cloudy day looking for jumping or surface swirling fish or gulls working baitfish which have been chased to the surface by salmon. Fish current seams at points and passageways where there is current. There is an old sayings "No flow no go(fish)" so always try to fish where there is current unless you see fish activity in slack water areas. Current tends to concentrate the bait fish with the salmon in hot pursuit of them. It is hard to beat a olive/white clouser minnow fly this time of year.

An extra fast full sinking line works well for baitfish patterns and make long casts easier. I used to use sinktips but they don't get down as deep or cast as well.

Check out the archives of this site. There is a wealth of information from past posts which will be of help to you. Good luck.
  3. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Mike, you hit 'em all.

It's kind of like asking how to fish a lake. Use streamers? Dry flies? Troll or cast and strip? Floating or sinking lines?

Think of the Sound as one big lake, and all of those places and methods you mentioned all apply at one time or another. It's experience on the water, and figuring out which one when for which location and circumstance (weather, tides, etc.)

The easy answer, but it's the truth. Ya gotta get your experience on the job. It sounds like you're on the right track, though!
    :thumb