fly fishing for the bourgeoisie (elite and filthy wealthy)

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by loose ferrule, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +532 / 0
    I don't mind anyone bashing any or all politicians and public personalities. I just don't think much of bashing/name-calling another member here, when the basher is choosing to remain anonymous. That's all.
  2. 2506 Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    My father took former president Jimmy Carter steelheading one Saturday in Oregon, I don't recall anyone shutting down the river on that day. Just a Secret Service agent up front with Jimmy and a boat behind with two more agents and a state trooper on the oars. Jimmy caught two nice chromers, the bodyguard boat got skunked. If I can find a pic I'll post it.
  3. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Snohomish, WA
    Ratings: +213 / 1
    Gary and Jim,

This thread was off on the wrong foot from the start when the original poster referred to Dick "head" Cheney. When it starts out like that you can expect folks to get their dander up.

Lonnie
  4. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    I'm with ya Jim.
    If a guy isn't man enough to step up to the plate and swing away. He's not much of a man at all.
    Ya'll know where I'm coming from, so step up and swing away.
    Tall cool ones when we're done.
  5. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Snohomish, WA
    Gary, can I get one of those tall cool ones now?
    Lonnie
  6. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    Sure, ya want to meet in the middle. I know of a little cutty creek.
  7. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Snohomish, WA
    It takes all types to make a forum like this work. But when it comes right down to it we can all put our differences aside, grab a rod and drown a fly. We all have that in common, if nothing else. The last thing I would ever do is talk politics with a fishing partner. While I'm fishing I have much more important things on my my mind, like untangling that massive wind knot in my leader!
  8. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +177 / 0
    Canedawg, if that's your real name, why are you wasting your time on a thread rife with commies? Your innuendos and suspicions are much more at home on one of those neo-con skinhead sites where anyone who posts a an opinion or cites facts you don't like is attacked personally, their patriotism impugned, and words put in their mouths.

Fly fishing and critical thinking go hand in glove, so you're likely to find this a tough forum for defending politicians with environmental records that have earned them a special place in hell.

So go ahead and slur me as well, but be advised I spent 3 years in the marines, much of it fighting "communists" and have very little stomach for cowards and bullies who talk tough and hide behind their screen names or their privileged births. That includes draft dodgers like your Cheney, Bush and Rumsfeld.

I do appreciate your offer to take Dick Cheney. Take him to one of those countries that want to try him for war crimes.
  9. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +769 / 0
    Putting aside the politics for a moment, I fully agree with those who are not pleased that somebody can simply shut down a stream because they want to throw a line. That does include Ted Turner's actions in Paradise valley, but at least he got thrown out of the steak house in town.

However, and first, Cheney's shooting accident is at least half the fault of his friend-dropping out for whatever reason, then popping up in front of the line at the moment a covy is flushed. Depending on the timing of the flush and the "Hi, I'm back" popup, I'm not certain I could have held my shot, either, and I've got more bird hunting experience than Cheney ever dreamt about. I don't have enough information on what actually happened to want to leap to vilifying the man.

Second, politics included, I assume that Mr. Freeman includes Bill Clinton in his list of draft dodgers? It's strange how we differ--I spent almost three years fighting communists myself, and consider Obama to be a larger threat to this nation than Charlie ever posed. I don't consider someone to be a draft dodger unless they fled to Canada.
  10. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +177 / 0
    Bill Clinton is another politician who used the system to avoid military service in the sixties. I can't comment on his motivation, since I don't know the man, and frankly, don't like him very much. I do know any number of guys my age who had honest convictions, and followed their conscience. I respect their right to do what they felt right, whether it was going into exile, going to prison, or enlisting in the marines, knowing they'd go in harm's way. That right to choice is why I am willing to fight for this country, even as I question the politics.

I feel entirely different about those who squirmed out of the personal sacrifice, yet are eager to send others into peril with a hearty "bring it on" to do something they are unwilling to risk themselves, then capitalize on the press to further their own careers and fortunes. I cannot get past the hypocrisy. To me, it's at least as disgusting as the women, who, themselves immune to the draft, liked to spit on guys returning from Viet Nam.

This has gone far astray of the thread, and I apologize for my part in that. I do feel there is a relationship between the two issues discussed here. There is a concept of entitlement and privilege, unpalatable to some, that lets Dick Cheney shut down public resources for his own enjoyment, or send thousands to their deaths. This thread addresses elitism, I believe Dick Cheney personifies it.
  11. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +59 / 0
    About $4/gallon
  12. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Snohomish, WA
    Don,

I don't know if Dick Cheney is an elitist or not because I don't know him. However, I believe that he has a secret service contingent with him whether he likes it or not and it's their job to protect him...whether he likes it or not. It's the secret service, not Dick Cheney, who shuts down the river when he wants to go fishing.
  13. Trent Ugly member

Here
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I have to agree that it is complete BS to close down a body of water, streets, or whatever just because some politician wants to go fishing, hunting, or on a $30,000 date with his wife.

I would say it saddens me that this sort of entitlement happens here in America, but that would be wrong. Anger would be a better word choice in describing the entitlement “our” politicians “think” they are entitled to. These individuals are supposed to be, “of the people by the people for the people”, am I not correct in that assessment? This sort of garbage is what goes on in “other” countries. Europe is one example.

I assume that this thread was started with the intent to riffle feathers, by using the phrase “Dick (head) Cheney”. Personally I am not offended by it, but I do recognize its intent. I respect the office of president, but I have not or do not respect any of the men (presidents) who have held that office in my life time, or the “second in charge” for that matter.
  14. Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

camano island wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    im coming in a little late on this one but...:ray1: BOURGEOISIE actually defines the middle class between po' folks and the elite filthy rich.
  15. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +250 / 5
    Um, last time I checked, Europe was a continent, not a country (for what its worth, there are 45 seperate countries in Europe). Making a broad statement about 45 very unique countries is a bit of a reach. That said, there is nothing new in the prerogatives of power exercised by Bush, Cheney, or Obama. Indeed, Cheney's special privileges on rivers is nothing new. In the 1920s, rivers (especially in in Wyoming, South Dakota and Montana) were regularly closed to the public so Calvin Coolidge could cast a fly uninterrupted.
  16. Mayfly Aviator Member

Idaho Falls, ID
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    I've guided Cheney's daughter and her partner as well as a boat of secret service personnel for this entourage a few times, back when I worked for The Lodge at Palisades Creek. The amount of security personnel was astounding. There were rangers on horseback along the rim of the South Fork Canyon, helicopters, jet boats and skis leading our way down from the Conant put-in. Those secret service folks had my old Hyde loaded to the max with black Pelican boxes full of laptops, radios, guns, probably explosives etc...

To his credit, he is a decent flyfisherman, but that's mostly credit to the great guides he goes with.
  17. Trent Ugly member

Here
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Yes, I’m aware that Europe is a continent of different countries; maybe I should have said that it is something that is more likely to be found in a European country. If you want to get technical, America is not one county either, even though citizens in the USA often say just that, “I’m an American citizen” and “I’m from America”, and so on. If you want to be more technical, the USA is actually a union between 50 united Sovereign Nation States. Each state has the power to levy war if the want, this guaranteed by the constitution, they also reserve the right to succeed from the union.:D
  18. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,234 / 9
    Trent, not sure that my history background and degree lead me to agree with your assessment of the unification of states, powers of individual states or the right of cession but this thread has been interesting to read.

I think there are many things that can cause closure of a river, many would last longer than the visit from a dignitary. I'm sure I would not like my local waters closed for such reasons. I'm also not sure I'd want to be fishing open runs and have those dignitaries and their entourage come passing through my run. Better to be told early to plan to fish elsewhere for that day.
  19. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +250 / 5
    iagree

My background, and my degree in History, lead me to agree with with Ed in his statements regarding the nature of unification of states, the powers of individual states, the rights to cession (I happen to have a copy of the constitution on my wall in front of me, and can't seem to find the passages Trent referrences) as well as the interesting nature of this thread.

Off topic, had a chance to play in Skate Creek today. Water is high, but clear and cold. Fish are holding tight, but was able to entice a few out with small (#16) green caddis nymphs.
  20. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +49 / 0
    i bet he wears every bit of gear possible
    stomping down the river like a fat necked christmas tree
    blaming his guards for being in his erratic backcast
    sheesh

we need some underground film of his befuddling