Fly Fishing in/near Vegas?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by daveypetey, Apr 1, 2013.

1. daveypetey

daveypetey Active Member

Media:
    I know it sounds ridiculous, but I have to go to a conference there that ends at 12 every day, and I really hate the strip. Anyone know of anywhere near there I can wet a line in the afternoons for anything?

Dave

2. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

I've never fished in Zion National Park (http://www.eastziontourismcouncil.org/fish.htm) but there appear to be some trout in the Virgin River. If you have a car, Zion and Bryce are worth it for the scenery and hiking. Don't know the mileage to some of the rivers on the east side of the Sierras, but you might check that. I know the rivers and creeks around Mammoth Mt Ski Area hold trout. There is striped bass fishing at Hoover Dam, but probably need a boat and guide for that. Know what you mean about Vegas. I've been to several dental conventions there and it is way to crowded and kind of depressing to me! Rick

3. martyg

martyg Active Member

I used to go to Vegas a lot for business and remember hearing something about a tailwater on the Colorado - between two reservoirs. If memory serves me correctly you really need a boat to fish it and there were guides operating there. No sure if that survived with the lower snowpack in the inter mountain west.

4. The Dude

The Dude Member

There is noithing in Vegas. 40 to 100 miles is the about as close as it get.

5. daveypetey

daveypetey Active Member

Media:
    I'd be happy to drive a few hours, as this conference is going to be VERY boring.

Not even any local bass populations?

6. Spencer Woods

Spencer Woods Member

Media:
    Lake Mead!

7. WonkyWapiti

WonkyWapiti Member

8. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Media:
    Home Page:
    When I lived in Boulder City.....I drove to the Kern River in California to fish for trout. Nice river. The other option is the Sedona area.

You can fish Lake Mead for stripers these days. They were just showing up when I left.

Lake Mohave has bass and other species.

Good luck. I would party in Las Vegas, rather than fish.

9. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

10. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    You could look at golf course ponds for Carp. I know the ones in Phoenix have them !!

11. Matthew Kaphan

Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Media:
    The link to the other thread is your best bet.

You can go to Lake Las Vegas. They fly fish there, but I think you may have to pay for the privilege.

You can try the urban ponds. They're stocked with trout over winter and they have bluegill and other sun fish during warmer months. Try Lorenzi Park if that's your thing.

But honesly, in Vegas, I'd just eat good food, smoke cigars and have a nice scotch.

For what it's worth, I may be the only person that's ever test casted a flyrod at the Rio Pool when the Rio had an Orvis shop in it for a bit.

M

12. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Media:
    Home Page:
    North of St George UT is Quail creek reservoir ( 2 hours drive at 90mph) or if the snow is free, Kolob reservoir on the Kolob Plateau is a superb and beautiful place with some nice fishing.
    Also consider East of Cedar City in the mountains is Navajo Lake. TONS of options if you don't mind driving a minimum of 2 hours north on open highways at 80-100 mph. Speed limit is 80...so adjust accordingly :)