Fly Fishing Journal for Saltwater

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Roger Stephens, Jan 9, 2004.

1. If you don't keep a journal when fly fishing in the saltwater of Puget Sound, I thought that this write-up might give you some ideas. For the past 10 years I have kept a fly fishing journal of my adventures in the saltchuck of south Puget Sound for SRC and silver salmon. There is little written information(except basic) about this fisheries so an individual needs to figure out most of that fisheries on their own, with fishing buddies, or from forums like this. A journal can be extremely helpful to put together the puzzle of where, when, and what flies to use for this fisheries. It is a process that can never be completed in an individual's life-time since this fisheries can be so variable and challenging at times. I keep a pretty detailed journal entry for each fishing trip. Below are the items which are entered.

1. DATE
    2. WEATHER: Cloudy/suny, air temperature, wind condition.
    3. TIME: Start and end of fishing.
    4. TIDE: Flood or ebb; weak, moderate, or strong.
    5. LOCATIONS FISHED: Most locations are given personal
    names sush as White Bouy Pt. Al's Cove(cuz Al caught
    a lot of fish there), Moon Pt.(won't explain that
    one), etc.
    (a) FISH CAUGHT: Number, size, and species.
    (b) ESTIMATED NUMBER OF FISH THERE: Few, some,
    or many; a lot of strikes/ hookups; etc.
    (c) FISH SURFACE ACTIVITY: Feeding on chum fry,
    amphipods, krill, or bait fish; jumping fish
    present.
    (D) FLIES USED: Flies that caught fish and how
    well they worked: other flies used.
    (e) GENERAL OBSERVATIONS ABOUT LOCATION: Ex. (1)
    Best fishing at location on flood or ebb
    tide, (2) what part of the tide is the
    fishing best, etc. There is little need to
    add information to this section after you
    have fished a location enought times.
    6. STOMACH CONTENT OF SALMON KEPT: Note what fish were
    eating.

The journal has proven invaluable particularly for SRC and to a less extent for silver salmon when fly fishing in the saltchuck of south Puget Sound. My opinion is that the SRC are more predictable from year to year since they don't stray too far from their "home" streams.

For example: (1)It is possible to use the journal to help determine when the major out migration of SRC to saltwater occurs in various estuaries. If I caught quite a few SRC in an estuary in early April, next year I'll try fishing there a week or two earlier. I'll keep repeating that until the earliest date of their arrival in number can be zeroed in. The major out migration of SRC appears to be strongly related to the out migration of chum salmon smolt which is logical. Weather conditions can vary the timing a little. (2) Over a period of time, you can determine some consistently good SRC spots plus you will know what months, tides, and flies to use and when to fish there.

Some similar information can be developed for the resident and adult silvers but they are not as consistent from year to year as the SRC. Hope that my thoughts will help some of you folks!

2. I used to keep one, working as a house builder for the last 6 years enabled me to work all over the kitsap penninsula and really fish diffrent areas alot, I kept a journal about timing runs of silvers and chums and where I would have surprize catches of srcs , alot of zipper lip creeks I fished because I was working way out there where I would never be If I wasn't working there.

then I got to thinkin what if I misplace this book and the wrong person finds it, I would ruin alot of peoples fishing areas, so I had it destroyed, I pretty much got it all in my head now, know need for a book for me.

hey Roger how is the src fishing usually down your way right now, was thinking of fishing around hammersly inlet tomorrow past shelton a little to maybe get rid of this flu. after reading speycasts reports thinking of trying somewhere new.

catch and release wild sculpins