Fly Fishing Novels, Any Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Citori, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +236 / 0
    Here are a few I have enjoyed-some novels some non-fiction. Dark Waters by Russell Chatham, Blue Lines by Tom Reed, Galatin Canyon and Inventing Montana by Ted Leeson, River Music by James Babb, and Home Pool by Bruce Ducker. Even though not directly about fly fishing, the whole series of novels by Ivan Doig about Montana is excellent, especially if you spend time fishing in Montana as you will learn a lot of the area history! There were a few recommended here I haven't read and look forward to reading! Thanks, Rick
  2. S Fontinalis Active Member

Ratings: +180 / 0
    not a novel; A Man May Fish - T.C. Kingsmill Moore
  3. Milton Conrad Member

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    If you can find a copy, Vermont River, by W.D. Wetherell is a good read.

Regards
  4. Greylingtom Member

Tacoma WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Skysoldier, love the deuce Sign. By the all of gierach's books are great. Another good one is the zen of flyfishing. It's a short book.
  5. Bonefish Jack Strictly FF

Kent WA
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    Several by Robert Traver (pen name.) My two favorites are, "Trout Magic" and "Anatomy of a Fisherman." He also wrote, " Anatomy of a Murder" under his real name, John Voelker.
  6. snarlac Member

Sacramento, CA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Search for threads started by wadin' boot and read in random order.
    Skysoldier likes this.
  7. Jerry White Member

City, State
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    My Story As Told By Water - By David James Ducan
    Not fiction but a collection of essays. Some of the most powerful stuff DJD has written regarding the connections to rivers and trout and salmon...

David - I am going to read The Longest Silence soon.
  8. luv2fly2 Active Member

.othello
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    i did a post several years ago on a bunch of books so i wont repeat . any book by scott waldie, john holt, john barshness, or galligan is worth reading. also paul arnolds wisdom of the guides is good. mike w
  9. Jim Darden Active Member

Bellingham, Wa.
    Ratings: +215 / 0
    Try "Snowfly" by Joseph Heywood....I promise you won't be able to put it down. I'd send you my copy but it has passed through so many fly fishermen that I don't know where it is now. It is about the search for a hatch of giant white mayflies that bring the monster fish in the stream up to feed.....
  10. teedub Active Member

Cle Elum
    Ratings: +98 / 0
    Gierach has a new book out. I just got it as a Birthday gift this week. I'll let you know how it is, but so far as good, if not slightly better, than the last couple.
  11. Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

WA
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    Not really a novel, rather a series of short stories. Angling Sketches by Andrew Lang, circa 1892 and a public domain ebook available though Project Gutenberg is a good book. "Confessions of a Duffer" hits pretty close to home. Also available is Tales of Fishes by Zane Grey
  12. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +276 / 1
  13. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    On the Spine of Time and The Earth is Enough
  14. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +236 / 0
    I really loved all the books by Harry Middleton. Too bad he died so young and had such a hard life! Rick
  15. Codioos Active Member

Spokane
    Ratings: +97 / 0
    Thats my next read. Saw the movie but the book sounds a lot better. There was a great quote from that movie:

-"...Love is like a trout stream. You can put up a dam and make a lake, you can put it in a bucket and have a bucket of water, you can put it under a microscope and see some microscopic entities. But a trout stream is only a trout stream when it is running between its own two banks, at its own pace, in its own sweet way..."
  16. Codioos Active Member

Spokane
    Ratings: +97 / 0
    Also try "The greatest fishing stories ever told". And its not just some ego inflated hot air. It has 28 short fishing stories for bass, trout, bluefish, marlin, tuna and more. They have been gathered from novels, books, etc that were choosen by Lamar Underwood with contributions from: Ernest Hemingway, John Gierach, Ted Leeson Ed Zern, Robert Traver and more.
  17. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +333 / 5
    Forgot a few of my favorites:

Every trout angler will love the the "Travers Corners" books by Scott Waldie. They detail the life and times of a boat-building guide and his buddies in a fictional town in Montana:

Travers Corners: Classic Stories about Fly Fishing and a Small Montana Town by Scott Waldie
    Return to Travers Corners: Stories
    Travers Corners: The Final Chapters
    http://www.amazon.com/Scott-Waldie/e/B001K8EU8Y/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

Then there's the works of a great contemporary fishing writer, including one novel and several non-fiction works.

The novel:
    Joe and Me by James Prosek. Great story of growing up fishing.
    http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Me-Education-Fishing-Friendship/dp/068815316X

Prosek does some damn fine writing. Another of my favorites, though its not a novel nor even a work of fiction, is:
    The Complete Angler: A Connecticut Yankee Follows in the Footsteps of Walton
    http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Angl...s-Footsteps/dp/0060191899/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_4
  18. Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Western, WA
    Ratings: +185 / 2
    These should be high on your list especially Holding Lies. Larison is a lit prof at OSU as well as being a steelhead guide. He also has a great steelheading book ,Complete Steelheader.