Fly Fishing on Kauai

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ncitrez, Dec 5, 2005.

1. ncitrez

ncitrez Too many hobbies.....

The wife and I are going to Kauai in February for our belated 10-year anniversary celebration. We've gone twice before, but I've never fished over there. (I usually only bring the golf clubs) We were thinking about a charter, which would be fun, but I would like to know if there are other opportunities there. Bonefish maybe? Any guide/charter recommendations/reviews?

Any info would be great. PM me if you would like. Thanks in advance.

2. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yes, Castaways Guides

His name is Jeff Delia, he's been onto some very big fish this past week- not kidding here- I just talked with him last night.

phone number is: 808-639-1195 email: delia@olypen.com

3. Bright Rivers

Bright Rivers Member

Media:
  4. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    Since we're talking about the islands, how about Maui? I'll be there late March/early April. Thanks.

5. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Media:
    I went this last February and had hoped to find some fish, but everybody got sick and I hardly got out. However, bonefish808.com, Oliver was very helpful and I got some other info. If you'll get me your email address I can forward the stack of emails I got when I was looking into it. And you don't need a license to fish the ocena over there. However, there are peacock bass on Kauai, so ou may want to try for those one day. Funny, it was a belated 10 year anniversary for my wife and I when we went as well...

Where will you be staying, North, South etc.?

Willie

6. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
    was over there last year in fall so koke' state park area was closed for trout fishing but there is endless beach to fish and the peacock bass are allover the place in kauai resevoirs , gotta get a local to take you in to those tho. a local who i hung out with for several days took me to an area around kapa'a(middle island) on the beach that had lava tubes just off shore and every single time you cast you had a fish on. tons of " perchy" lookin fish with great fighting skills, or was that the ebb and flow of the waves?:) the alikai (sp) swamp area has them big boys if you can get there. found not one fly related thing in kauai but didnt really look either, kinda hazy. bhudda style. or bradda style i mean!

7. Tightline

Tightline Brian Perry

Media:
    Bring the 6wt and poppers.... hit the Hanalei rivers for Tilapia. You can catch these highly aggressive fish and many others. Its a fun day... rent a Kayak and head upstream of the Taro run off... you'll see the white milky substance entering the river about 1.5 miles upstream of the town of Hanalei. Also, Peacock bass can be found on the larger freshwater streams and reservoirs. For my day on the water the Tilapia on the Hanalei was kick ass... and the wife was happy at the scenery too. Pack food and beer fish all the way to the mouth then spend some time sea kayaking in the pacific... head off to the right once you enter the river for some good beach time.

Check with Bruddah Ben at the Hanalei Kayak rentals... a good Hawaiian with connections to the reservoirs on the island.

As far as Maui is concerned... hit the South side on the Lava jetties at dust. Go right to the edge of the wildlife preserve just North of LaPorousse bay. Double haul large clousers and strip like the devil.

~B

8. ncitrez

Wow, good stuff so far, fellas! Thanks for all the replies. :thumb:

We'll be staying in Princeville on the North side. Hanalei is just down the hill. I'm mostly looking for saltwater opportunities for just a day (two at the most) during the trip. I'll be on the island for a total of six full days.

Peacock bass sound awesome as well, but I've heard that Dec/Jan/Feb is the slow season for those fish? :confused:

Are there any guides operating out of Hanalei Bay? There are a lot of reefs just off shore up there.

9. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
    if your gonna be in princeville, go check out tunnels beach to the west of you and fish the inlet to the left side beach(looking out). if you break out a rod most people will look at you weird, specially the locals cause its a great surf break but not known for the fishing:) my girlfreind recently went to maui for 2 weeks and wanted to borrow my flyrods......hmmmm solo , in a 2 peice, casting alone in the sun. HELL NO! the image just crossed my mind and i couldnt get over it. beautiful girl fishing by her self in a thong and bra, no man i sight, HA. WAKE-UP. smell the coffee, aint happen'n! j/k she didnt take my flyrods tho:) ncitrez, the busiest fly i worked was damsel nymph! tons of reef fish just inhaled it, im sure any small patterned bait lookin thing will work, most of the gaudy looking hulkamania flies got nice tugs but for the majority of the fish was to big. i do have to say i wish i had a more heavier sink line and tips because it really helps put the fly down when youve just been workin to get the fly out there and it comes in on the next wave. get tips! good luck. bhudda

10. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    We'll be staying at the Maui Inn on Napili Bay. Anything in that area? I'm not positive where that's located on the island; my wife made the arrangements.

11. candr

candr Daryl

I will second Bob's recommendation. Give Jeffrey a call. He's a WA guy who figured out the bonefish thing on Kauai and started a guide service.

You might also get some good info on flyfishing for searun cutts when you get home.

He is a great guy.
    Daryl

12. CaddisMadness

CaddisMadness Fly Fishing in Patagonia: A Trout Bum's Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'm heading to Kauai in a week and would love to get into some peacock bass. Is this a reasonable expectation at this time of year? Any suggestions would be great. Surfing & scuba diving are going to be my main pursuits, but i don't know how long i can go without casting a rod & those bass look bad-ass. Thanks in advance braddas

13. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Wow, this is cool, and timely. I'll be on Kauai (South) Dec. 15th to the 22nd and Maui (central West) until the 29th. Surfed the net a couple weeks ago and found zip for actual fly guides. Just goes to show you... lot of knowlege here. I'd like to contact Jeff as well. Caddis - are you interested in hooking up one day? I'm there with my family so I'll be "Dad" most of the time (plus a bit of golf) but would explore what ever is opportune for the fly.
    Thanks Bob, Brian, Jeff and all.

14. Diehard

Diehard aka Justin

Media:
    Man, there are quite a few people going to Hawaii, I am going to be in Maui from the 16th to the 25th also.
    Tightline - I go to Maui almost every year with my family and we usually go snorkel the area around LaPorousse. I have never tried fishing there, but I usually see a few locals fishing with bait. What do you catch out there? You have caught my curiosity. Maybe I should be bringing my rod this year...

15. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Media:
    I second the Maui thing... was going to post a message asking if anyone had any info, but then I saw this thread... Heading there in a week or so to spend a few weeks surfing, etc.

Staying Kihei area, anyone have any good info?

16. Tightline

Tightline Brian Perry

Media:

Diehard,
    I lived there for 3-1/2 years. Lived on Keonekai Rd. in Kehei.. just up from Kam 2&3. For the most part I "did as the Romans do" and did a lot of beach fishing for Ulua and Big ole Trevally... I did do some fly stuff and mostly caught Trevalley, Papeo', pufferfish, Parrot fish and other various reef fish. If you catch a Parrot fish bonk that thing and eat it... it will be one of the best fish you have ever had. heavy sinking lines and a simple 4-6" twist of brown chenile will kick ass for you... also baitfish patterns (stay darker) will work.

Truthfully the most fun you'll have is to buy an Ulua pole @ Walmart and a 12 pack of beer.... head to the beach, build a big fire cast your 10oz lead as far as you can and slide Tako (Octopus) for big Ulua.... the night brings crazy creatures.. and when that bell ringa' hits you'll be sloshed... good good fun.

If you want more PM me and I'll drop you my cell number.

My brother still lives out there.. a local for the last 7 years and has serious connections.

~B

17. MauiJim

MauiJim ka lawai'a

Media:
    Wow, a fellow slide-baiter on a FF board? I grew up on Maui and used to sling those 10oz grapnel leads for those big trevally too-- Tightline, that's a pretty accurate description of weekend fishing :thumb:

The fishing isn't incredible, but it's worth me bringing a rod home... I'll be back on Maui from the 23rd to the 31st if anyone's going to be over there, not sure how much I'll be fishing but if anyone's going to be over there around that time let me know.

Bring a floating line and an intermediate and fish in the morning/evening from the beach or from points, with clousers or deceivers-- be prepared for wind, it can really kick up. Deeper areas around cliffs can be fished with a sinking shooting head setup, or you can 'countdown' with your intermediate. Fish bright colors, and use black bunny strips around lava points to imitate a tidepool blenny that trevally will kill for. Poppers can also be effective, typically in 'harsher' water with a lot of reef structure, cliffs-- think big predator ambush zones. And bring an extra line, in case you get taken for a ride, and a stripping basket; an 8wt should be good for all around use.

18. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Yo Bob Triggs
    Have a date booked with Jeff next week. Looking forward to 85 degrees, knee deep in warm water, flippin flys and the occasional bottle cap. I've never fished tropical before so this will be a treat.
    Yeah baby!
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'll let you know how it goes.

19. ncitrez

Ben,

Be sure to post up a report when you get back. I'm probably going to book something with Jeff when I'm over in Feb.

Thanks!

20. TWD

TWD Travis

Media:
    Sorry for the major recycling effort here but anyone want to share their experience in Kauai? Heading out in a few weeks and would be interested in fishing the inside reef. Any general locations would be great, will be taking my 8wt with multi tip Rio, lots of deceivers

Last time I tried this on the Big Island I got blanked and broke my rod. The next day after the rod breakage, I hiked into a bay and saw a beautiful school of larger fish working bait not 20 feet from me .... no rod and only tired kids to show for it :)

looking forward to catching something in air temps over 70 degrees

cheers, Travis