Fly Fishing on Kauai

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ncitrez, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    BUMP on this thread................. Has anyone fished with Jeff Delia since this was posted? Looking into a trip the first part of March.

jason

2. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Yes, I fished with Jeffrey Dalia in late December. Understand you'd like some information for an upcoming trip. I'm very short on time now but will post or PM you this weekend or Monday at the latest.

3. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Jason
    We were on Kauai for a few days leading up to Xmas. As it was a family vacation I had limited time for a fishing trip. I elected not to bring gear since Jeffry offered his at a reasonable rate. I wanted to go with a guide since I know little about fishing tropical venues, was uncertain exactly what gear to bring &/or purchase, and wouldn't know a good beach if I saw one. Jeffry was great, like fishing with an old friend. Supplied me with an 8wt TFO CiRX (is that right? saltwater rod anyway). Casts a Teeny tropical line like a rocket.

The day we fished started out calm however the wind gradually picked up throughout the morning until it was un-managable around 11. Steady 25 kts, gusting above 30. It was the worst day in easily a month. Was laughable really and we had a nice conversation waiting, hoping it would settle. It didn't. Jeffrey offerred to get me out gratis during the next day or two but I couldn't make it. While we were wading we saw one Bone but I couldn't get a line on it. It was pretty tough out. Jeffrey is very interested in getting you into fish and would likely offer another half day or so if your first day didn't pan out. I hope to hook up with him next year and try it again. Pretty cool fly fishing in 70+ degree water. I'd like to get used to that!

My understanding is that Hawaii doesn't have the numbers of Bonefish that the top name destinations do however they are larger by maybe 2X. I think Bones in Mexico, Andros and Christmas Island average 3 to 6 lbs versus 6 to 10lbs (low teens possible) in Hawaii. Best Bonefishing islands (beaches) are Molokai, Oahu, and Kauai. On Kauai, we fished at Ahini (sp) Beach which is North Island, East of Princeville a couple miles. Don't know if there are other accessible beaches. Jeffrey said the World record Bone (upper teens) was caught at Barking Sands (1950s) which is South Island but inaccessible now being a Military installation.

An 8 or 9 wt is the right tool for casting in the salt whereas you could also try hitting estuarys with a 6 through 8. Don't know much about whats there but maybe Tilapea. There are also decent trout in Waimea Canyon (a must see location) but you'd have to work to get to them. Also, there are several reservoirs containing Peacock Bass but I didn't try for them. Think it was off season but not sure.

We stayed in Waimea on the South end of the island so most of our time was spent South of Lihue. We did drive around the Island to Hanalei and the end of road beyond, where we hiked for a while. That NW tip of the island is extremely beautiful. Drink your air tropical.

Other island highlights:
    1. If you're mid to South island, try to hit the Waimea Brew Pub for dinner on Thursday night. A group of local older gentlemen play traditional Hawaiian music and its VERY pleasant. If your lucky you'll see some hula. There were these two young sisters 4 & 6 (approximate, their mom is a hula instructor) that danced while we were there. This is a down home family oriented scene. (The whole island is really.) Have to say this was one of the sweetest things I've ever seen. Ever, nearly cried. Very cool!!
    2. Snorkleing at Poipu. Took us a few days to get in "sync" with the island so I'll say this. Plan on snorkeling in the morning before any wind comes up. Then plan on boogie boarding or some sight seeing in the afternoons.
    3. A good restaurant for lunch/breakfast is the Camp Kitchen in a 1 light town I can't remember but about half way between Poipu and Waimea. Doesn't look like much from the outside but the food is good and people very friendly.
    4. Jeffrey turned me on to the Olympic Inn in Kapaa (North of Lihue a few miles). We met there on F day. GREAT breakfast and lunch. (This from a fan of big breakfasts. Sets me up for the whole day.) GO THERE! If you hit it for lunch, do the Wahoo (Jeff).
    5. Roys (in Poipu Mall) is great for a spendy night out. I had a Wahoo dish that was in the top 20 of my life.

I'm sure some other thoughts will come but I've been long winded enough for any post. Have a great time. Let me know of any special spots you find because we're goin' back.

4. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    Whatever you do, you should probably bring a bra and thong to fish the beach in.

5. ncitrez

ncitrez Too many hobbies.....

ALOHA! Just got back from Kaua'i Thursday night. Didn't fish with Jeff as planned - the weather was "iffy", probably the worst weather I've seen in the three times I've been to the island. Winds and surf were up most of the time, as we stayed in Princeville. Only made it into the water once down at Poipu, where it was raining when we got there. We stuck it out, though, and it turned into a decent day at about 78 or so. Wednesday night it rained so hard that it flooded our lanai at the condo with about 1" of standing water within an hour.

Played more golf than anything else - it was nice, but challenging with the winds everyday.

Although I didn't fish with Jeff during my stay, he seems to be a consumate professional. He stayed in touch with me prior to the trip, and really gave me the "straight skinny". I would have LOVED to spend a day fishing with him, but since it was my anniversary trip and we were there with another couple, it just didn't pan out.

Hanalei is a great little surfing town. Go eat at Zelo's Beach House or at Sushi Blues (they are under the same ownership, I believe). Zelo's is kind of a tropical Ram Restaurant to me, with great food and large portions. Try the Ono (wahoo) and chips or the Cajun Seared Ahi (almost sashimi) both are fantastic. Sushi Blues has great fish - we had sashimi with Ahi, Ono, Yellowtail (Hamachi) and Albacore. You won't believe how fresh it is. If you want the BEST view at sunset with cocktails and apps, go to the Living Room at the Princeville Hotel and sit out on the deck. The place is spendy ($875/night for an ocean view suite), but the view out over Hanalei Bay with Bali Hai in the background is nothing short of spectacular.

Sorry no fishing report - it's the only "regret" I have from the trip. MAHALO!

6. Ned

Ned the oldest old guy

will be in Kauai the 26th through the 6th.. Will give him a call and give ti a goodtry...Staying at the ne Marriott at Poi Poo
    :thumb:

Ned

Love the island.. been going there for years..

7. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I'll toss out another nugget for fishers on a shoe string.
    Ahini Beach happens to be a fairly large camping area. There's quite a community of shell pickers there (combing a square yard for hours on end, looking for some small shells to sell). But, if you are desparate for warm weather fishing and are low on cash, its worthy of thought, camping on one of the best fishing beaches. Don't believe there are any fees for camping and you don't need a license to fish the salt in Hawaii.
    Camping, fishing, surfing, swimming, all in one spot. 75 degree water, 82 degree days. Could be worse.
    Of course, there's a reason they call it the "Garden Isle". No guarantees.

8. TWD

TWD Travis

Media:
    did you guys have more luck reaching Jeff by phone or email? Sent him an email but haven't heard back yet

am using: delia@olypen.com

thanks, TWD

9. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

That email is how I contacted Jeffrey and it worked fine. BUT, I have his brocheur in front of me and it includes two phone numbers to make a reservation:
    Cell 808-639-1195
    Home (I presume) 808-822-7866.

10. TWD

TWD Travis

Media:
    many thanks, caught up with him today

cheers, Travis

11. Ned

Ned the oldest old guy

Bump
    Went to fish.. It rained very hard for 9 days [one 5 hour break] water muddy and choppy..no fishing... no laying around in the sun.....nada..

thought I was back on the Ho...

Ned

12. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

March is usually one of the wetter months in the Islands, and Kauai is home to "the wettest spot on Earth," the Alakai (sp?) Swamp. April is nicer, as it still isn't too hot, less rainfall (usually) and still gets some small-to-medium N swells for surfing. I saw the news coverage of the recent bad flooding over there...the sky was bawling: I would not plan a trip to the Islands in March, after living there for nearly 13 years.

Jimbo

13. longstick

longstick Member

I just joined the site, so I am late but I went bone fishing on Kauai and was going to go for peacocks but it rained the hole time. Look up Kauai bone fishing online and there is a guide there that moved down from the north umqua. He has lived there for 10 years. The weather was shity but on one of the days I saw about 12 fish. I'll write back with his site soon.

14. bonginator

bonginator New Member

Anyone have a recent update with info on Kauai?