Fly fishing partner

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by wbugger, Oct 18, 2001.

1. I was wondering if anyone out there is looking for a fly-fishing partner? I have been throwing flies for about 7 years. I generally like all types of fly fishing. My favorite style is trout fishing in rivers/streams. I have yet to attempt steelhead fishing on a fly rod, but I hope to try this soon.

I like to hike into places and also like to travel. I fished rivers in Canada, Colorado, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Oregon (and of course Washington). I have family that live in Bend, OR (Deschutes, Crooked, and Metolious rivers as well as hundreds of lakes) and Roseburg, OR (North Umpqua river and smallmouth fishing on the South Umpqua river). So if anyone is interested, I would love to travel to these places sharing driving duties.

I live on kitsap peninsula and am more familiar with the fishing on this side. I want to get to know the following areas better:

Yakima river, Methow river, Rocky Ford creek, Spokane river, Kettle river, Snoqualamie river, Elwah river and the many lakes around the area.

I have had some success with sea run cutties around the area and love to fish for these as well.

I also tie some of my own flies and am getting better. I have a very good friend whom I fish with quite often, but I'm looking to fish with some others to learn more and possibly to travel with.

My work schedule is such that I work seven days on and then have seven days off. I am will be 30 yrs old in Jan (if people out there have an age restriction).

I know this comes late in the season, but I'd still love to hear from you out there. Possibly could make plans for upcoming trips and such.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Todd

PS- I currently have three rods a 4-weight, 5-weight, and an 8-weight so I feel like I have enough variation to cover many different styles of fishing. I also have a float tube and enjoy using this as well.

2. Hi,

My name's Mike and I am an officer down at Fort Lewis. My fly fishing partner, another officer, just got transferred yesterday, so I wouldn't mind fishing with some other guys. There are a couple other soldiers down here who fly fish for trout, salmon, and steelhead as well. I'm 24, will be 25 in December, and have been fly fishing for about 2 years now and really gotten addicted to the sport. I began to tie not too long ago as well....I've fished a fair amount of Washington and fished Oregon, Montana, and Colorado. My email is tanker_98@hotmail.com if you're interested in going sometime. Where do you live? What do you do for a living? Talk to you soon...

-Mike

3. Todd and Mike - if either or both of you want to get together, give me a shout. I was planning on Point no Point tomorrow about noon or so but the Snohomish/Skykomish or Stilly would be fine if y'all want to do the traveling. BGTreece@msn.com or call 425-822-1476 this evening(home computer is fried). BTW my life experiance is about the sum of your two but only about 10 yrs FF'ng. Bart

4. If your interested in doing any fishing in the SW Washington area(Mt St. Helens south), let me know. I wouldn't mind showing you some fishing spots down here.
    Paul

5. Not working right now, so I'm up for heading out quite a bit these days. Just came back from Rocky Ford today - hooked 5, got 2 then my rod broke!

I'm on the East Side - I'll make sure to let folks know when I'm headed out. I used to guide in Alaska, but now I'm getting used to fishing down here - I'm a bit spoiled.

TG

6. Well, my normal partner is going though a messy divorce, and with 2 kids he's short on time to make it out. So count me amoug those that are seeking partners.

Basically, I do it all, fishing the salt, steelhead, trout, streams, rivers, lakes. I tie 90% of my own flies. If I was said to have a default, it was probably fishing small, canoe accessable lakes. I prefer the lonely ones, and there are many. Typically you won't see me paying to fish, or at any of the big deal places: Lone and Pass lakes, rocky ford or the Yak as there are far too many places to fish to deal with crowds like that.

I live in Kirkland.

7. Thanks to everyone for the response. I am going out the 24th and 25th of this month. The 24th, I will be going right after work (I get off at 7 am). The 25th is pretty much wide open.

I would prefer to hit a stream/river because most close on the 31st, however, I'm open to pretty much everything. I was thinking about the Elwah river in Port Angeles. I have fished it a couple of times and done some business.

The Elwah, has three different areas to fish: lower (which is below the dams, middle (between the two dams), and upper (above both dams and only accesible by trail, my favorite area). Upper river contains wild rainbows and some bull trout higher up the trail. This is a gorgeous area with a chance to catch some feisty fish. I have never fished this late in the year up there, however, I hear it's good because no one typically goes this time of year.

On the 24th, I was thinking about hitting the Snoqualamie. I've fished here one brief time last week up on the south fork, I believe, at the tinkham rd exit. Didn't do real good. I don't know this river but thought the section I fished was beautiful and would like to try some more. Anyone interested in going on the 24th to this area? I up to any of the forks so let me know.

These are just a thought, I'm open to some other suggestions as well.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

8. Haven't been able to get out lately but if your going to fish the S/Fork of the Snoqualmie, Tinkham is a bit to high. If I were to fish it I would try going from Exit 34 and down the river. Off the freeway. If you want some good input of this river,just ask Chris the Host of this fine web site. I'm able to go fishing most of the time as I'm retired,not much on hiking, and tired of driving. Right now most on typing as being only one handed as having a cast on my left hand.:AA Jim S.

9. hey if you want to go fishin sometime i to live on the penninsula port orchard area only 23 but i'm really knowledge able of the area mostly saltwater with a few secret trout ponds that hold very good sized fish never fished with another flyfisherman before might as well find one here i guess to fish with. got a boat and the chums are startin to show so give me a reply if you want to go. am a avid blackmouth fisherman to. later Ben

10. Heck, if you are going to fish the Snoqualmie, why not hit the area below the falls, its Selcetive area rules, and summer steelhead are in the river, not being hassled by many as the sky is open to all gear. So hitting the confluence of the Tolt or the area above Fall City will put you in good for both trout, sea run cutts, steelies and salmon, not just pipsqueak little rainbows and cutts.

Far more fun in my book.

11. ben,

Are you interested in going out on the 24th (wed)? I haven't had much response to the snoqualmie post so how about John's creek or somewhere else (for chums)? I'm game to go anywhere.

If interested either respond to this post or e-mail me at avistk@hotmail.com

Hope to hear from you soon.

Todd

12. sorry it took so long to reply i have been pretty busy. johns creek the run is baciclly over acording to the regulars there. but i know of a place that is teaming with chums and coho. it gets dark so early now, that blows. but this saturday or sunday im going out there or if it is not to breezy out at point no point trolling for chums so get back to me if you want to go. later Ben

13. Hello, wbugger,

I live in the Olympia area, but my in-laws live in the Lofall area, up on the Kitsap P, near the Hood Canal bridge. We visit on weekends, sometimes, and I always spend about an hour looking at maps to try to find some good fishing. I, too prefer small stream fishing, but I have a nice 8 weight I'd like to use for steelhead some time. I'm on the M-F 8-5 plan, so most of my free time is on weekends. I've been fly fishing for about 3 years now, but I am pretty enthusiastic about it. I get out at least once a week, and tie about 90% of my own flies.

I'd love to meet up with you some time, if our schedules click. I don't have any plans to get up there until about mid-November. Besides the Elwah, what are some good streams in the neighborhood of Hood Canal?

I don't suppose you know of any good stream fishing in the Scottsdale, AZ area, do you? The family and I will be there for the first few days of Nov, and I will need to do some fishing, although I don't see myself getting away for very long.

Take it easy, and I'll let you know when I'll be in the area.

Drew
    :TT

14. wbugger.

Just an FYI I'd say the Snoqualmie is done for the year. The low water all summer left little flow and may have killed a lot of fish. They also move around in there alot looking for deep spots and cool water. New rains have likely pushed the level back up but put an end to any hatches. the season is really short there. It's a lot of fun to fish but you may just want to drive the extra 40 minutes from Tinkham and hit the yak.