fly fishing silver derby

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by rockfish, Aug 4, 2004.

1. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    manchester is directly across from Ft Ward on Bainbridge island, look at the south west corner of Bainbridge, I believe it is Rich passage that seperates the 2 parks. It's not a far drive from tacoma, 35-45 minutes I would guess.

-I
  2. Jason Trout Bum

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Yeah I only have a 5 weight, might be a little small.

Depending on the final date, I don't see a problem.

OH and go Dawgs! :beer1
  3. toadthedry Member

Western Wa
    sunday sounds good.
  4. Curtis New Member

Bothell
    Any thoughts if a 6 weight rod would be sufficient??? Has a final date been chosen? I need to take work off.

I will second the go Dawgs!!!:beer2
  5. South Sound Member

North Tacoma
    A 6wt would work but I would not go less then that. I have landed them on a 5wt, but casting big flies and fighting fish is much easier with a 7wt. But 6 will work. Because of the size of flies I am throwing at the end of summer I am using a 9wt, which is more then big enought. Pick up a copy of Pacific Salmon on the fly by Johnson, Trotter, and Ferguson I have read this book so many times I almost have it all memorized. It can be found in most libraries.
    Tight lines and Good luck. I will be at PNP tommorow at 4:15 am
  6. rockfish Member

Manchester, Wa
    saturday the 18th, we can make all the arrangements for everything when september rolls around buts thats the date,
    catch and release wild sculpins
  7. Curtis New Member

Bothell
    Thank you much!!So where can one buy, as I can't tie, some tube flies??? Does the morning hatch have them?
  8. Windknot Member

Port Orchard, Washington, USA.
    Sorry for the delay in responding but I just got back from a Minnesota walleye vacation. As a Port Orchard local I don't have far to go to join in. Count me in. Roger
  9. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +68 / 0
    THE 18TH, SON OF A BEACH, I RUN ALL THE WAY INTO WORK ON MY FRIGIN VACTION TO PUT IN FOR THE 19TH OFF. I'LL BE OFF THE DAY AFTER. Fire trUCK!!!

Well maybe it'll work out anyway.

Matt Burke
  10. hikepat Patrick

Des Moines, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Hmm Sept 18 Snoqulmie Clean up or Fishing derby. Funny how this fishing derby keeps ending up on dates that there is more then one event going on from this board. Even stranger that I am so far the only one who has noticed. Guess it will let each one on this board decide if they have more salt in their blood or more river. Myself I am much more salt.
    More then likely I will already be fishing the salt that day anyways being the last weekend of my vacation so the 18th or 19th works for me either way.
  11. Dan Soltau New Member

Bozeland, MT - Raleigh, NC
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Count me in, I think. Its a stong maybe. Great idea rockfish!
  12. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Word, I'm still in, you should edit the origonal post and put the real date in then or something. Eliminate potential for confusion.

-I
  13. rockfish Member

Manchester, Wa
    looks like I picked a good day because was looking at a dudes fishing and hunting magazine at work and september 18 in the everet coho derby and there expecting over 1500 entries so we should have the area to ourselves because I think most people would be fishing whidbey island and such and not make the long run south, but nobody fisheds it for silvers anyway but a few locals, purse seiners, and indian gillnetters at night so we should have a goos time.

catch and release wild sculpins:beer2
  14. coonrad New Member

marine area 10
    It sounds like you're doing everything right. Getting out there early, fishing the tide rips.

I'd be willing to guess you may just be fishing somewhere where there aren't many fish about (even if a floating line isn't optimum you should be getting some bumps or shakers, and you can always extend your leader to get get it down deeper, or let it sink a bit before starting the retrieve).

I've been fishing a spot off bainbridge, and I'm almost guaranteed to get a shaker there, and I know there's bigger fish around because a buddy got a 10 pound hatchery coho there a few days ago, and I've seen a few nice jumpers. I'll keep hitting this spot, because I've caught nice fish there before and I know it holds fish.

The biggest challenge of fishing the salt IMO is finding out where the fish are. If you're not hitting them in your spot, move to a different one. If you know of anyone that fishes Vashon and knows the spots, try to hook up with them and hope that they will dial you in to where the fish might be holding.

I've fished many spots in the sound, where all the conditions indicate good fishing, but no fish. It's not like Neah Bay :)

coonrad
  15. onthefly New Member

Monroe, WA, USA.
    I've got a 15.5 ft aluminum boat I can bring. The date sounds good as far as I can tell, and I'm looking forward to learning from the masters!

Sean
  16. onthefly New Member

Monroe, WA, USA.
    Flyfishing Silver Derby

Is this still on? Just wondering... :confused:

Sean
  17. Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

Bellingham/Puyallup, WA
    Will there be a check-in? Like a person or people to pay and check in with before we start to fish. They better be there early in the monring.
  18. East Fork Active Member

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    It looks like Rockfish, the guy who proposed this, dropped out.

Is there anyone else in that area that can observe if the fish are in?

Is there anyone else in the area that is willing to be the organizer? That is, make the call as to when and where we meet before and after?
  19. Stephen Rice Senior Member

Wasilla, Alaska
    Yeah !

I really want to go, is anybody willing to put this on? Seems like it would be a hoot! I am tying Tube flies for this event
  20. Surf_Candy Member

Bainbridge Island, WA.
    be careful about making it an official event (i.e. weigh in and medal ceremony) - I recall that you are supposed to do some planning with the WDFW when hosting a "derby"....I cannot make it, but hope you all have a blast!

Surf