Fly line question

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by ptphisher, Apr 15, 2013.

1. ptphisher Member

Bremerton, Washington
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    I am in the market fr a new line to put on my 8wt BVK to use from the beach for salmon. Is there anything that would be comparable to Rio's outbound or Airflo's 40+? that others might like better?
  2. porterHause Just call me Jon

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +170 / 0
    Royal Wulff Ambush lines are pretty sweet.
    Pat Lat likes this.
  3. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +767 / 0
    just got the wulff tri taper for my 6 weight single hander, it is very forgiving and towards the end of the day when I was dropping my backcast on the rocks I switched over to a turbo spey single hand cast and could bomb out eighty feet with out the back cast, basically you touch and go with a forward haul.
  4. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    Did you get the regular tri taper or the Ambush?
  5. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    there are better distance lines than the Ambush....such as Outbound or 40+. If I had to choose a shooting head to maximize my distance from the beach, the Ambush would be the last I'd think about...it's not really what it was designed for.

$.02
  6. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    The SA Streamer Express is another popular beach line.
  7. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +396 / 0
    I got to play with Pat Lat's Ambush triangle taper on a 9'6" 6 weight yesterday. That thing is a little funky, but when you get in the groove it is sweet. Strip the head in to the tip, a snap to reposition, a roll cast into a double haul and there was 50 feet of line on the water in addition to 12 feet of leader. Very little effort, no false casting so great in the wind and that line roll casts like a dream. I'm a poor caster, but with a little time and when I got everything right it was amazing. Probably going to look into getting one for myself.
  8. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +370 / 0
    Not meaning to imply that any one review is better than another but did you see this from Gig Harbor fly shop?: http://pugetsoundflyco.com/2013/01/...-beach-rod-shootout-part-1-why-how-fly-lines/

I'm currently using an Airflo 40+ Intermediate and a Rio Power Fly floater on my 6 wt. Redington Predator beach rod. Been workin' well for me but, as a duffer, what the heck do I know??? ;)

You should probably go to a good shop and spend some time trialing various lines. In our area I'd recommend either Gig Harbor or Peninsula Outfitters in Poulsbo.
  9. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +337 / 0
    The SA Streamer Express is a very solid choice. I've caught a great many adult salmon in the salt with this line (6wt 200 grain; 8wt 300 grain).

These lines also fish very well in rivers, and the clear sink tip is extra stealthy.
  10. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    I have the ambush line. overhand casting with it is a little wonky once you false cast but pick it up and haul once and you have an accurate 60 foot cast which is more than enough, super smooth roll casts and like I said, learn a turbo spey cast and you can bomb out 100 footers. It keeps your flies off the rocks and in the water longer. I think fits the sound beaches perfectly. Only real down all is the loss of your ability to mend.

I spent the majority of the day trying to get more distance with over hand casts but couldn't consistently cast and present over 60 feet. By chance I decided to fish the incoming water to the back bay at ollala and without any backcasting space I tried some rollcasting. As soon as I added a powerful, well timed haul and the line peeled an extra ten feet off my reel, I kept at it for a while and made a few that were all the way out to my backing. It felt unreal.
  11. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    You'll have to show me that cast. I haven't really figured out the roll cast with shooting line yet.
  12. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines

At about a 1:20 they show the single hander stuff, The cast I was doing was more like the double turbo switch with a lot more umph on the hauling hand.
    Randall Clark likes this.
  13. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    roll-casting & spey casting is where that line really shines. In fact, it's my primary steelheading line. Like I said earlier though, if I'm fishing a beach (doesn't happen very often, but it does happen from time to time), I'm reaching for a shooting head with a bit longer head, so that I'm not having to shoot 50' to get that 70-80' cast out there...at any rate, that's what has worked the best for me.

Cool video. That's basically what I end up doing (some variation of that turbo spey) for 99% of my casts while steelheading...never tried it from the beach. I'm not sure how well it would work out on the Oregon Coast where I do the majority of my beach fishing, but it might be worth a try.
  14. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +205 / 0
    Rio makes the Outbound in two head lengths. The short is only 30' which some prefer as it keeps the back cast off the rocks. The 37 footer is better from a boat.
    Joe Pombrio likes this.
  15. Gray Ghost Member

Flowing Waters
    Ratings: +20 / 0